what's the combo for new springs but just 1" lift?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need new springs; shackle bushings are shot so ready for those too. Steering is recently overhauled and sweet, no need to fool with a good thing.

But I do not want the 2 1/2"+ lift that comes with the Dakkar/OME setup

any suggestions on new springs/shackles, 1 - 1 1/2" lift?

Here's what I did...

When I re-did the suspension on my 87FJ60 - I was thinking I didn't want anymore than about 1"/1.5". I want/need more now since I have an ARB, winch, sliders and rear bumper someday soon.

To Get about 1"/1.5" I did the following:

- CCOT's lift/level springs
- Conferr extended shackles: (+1.5" front, +2.5" Rear)

That gave me about 3/4" lift from the shackles and about an inch from the springs. once they got broken in...about an inch or so. I can fit 33's w/o rubbing (so far). I have a pic somewhere around here....I'll try to find it.

HTH

I was thinking about this myself. I'm very happy with my ride and would just like a bit of lift, a bit above stock. I've heard mixed reviews (of course) regarding CCOT's lift. I've only seen one and the owner wasn't happy about the rear sitting lower than the front.

Why dont you want 2 1/2" of lift?

IF your springs are shot. Then just get ALCAN to make you some stock or whatever height you want. Get the poly bushings and greasable pins and shackles. Maybe I am still young enough, but I dont mind the lift at all. But mine is still in the process.

I'm looking for the same setup. I'm shooting for an expedition rig and don't need the high lift (the wife is opposed as well, but that doesn't affect my decision). ;)

Last edited:
sure, I'm working at setting up a capable expeditionary rig. Unimproved roads, not rocks and steep hills; but one I can drive around town and on my about 60mi commute to work over a few mild twisties.

So - need a h55 for certain, want a slightly higher stance for certain, would like taller tires for clearance and appearance, wide enough to not be a straight line only machine but narrow enough to not add tremendously to the rolling resistance. I think this reflects alot of us on the board; somewhere between the "bone stock or die" and "anything less than 35" and you're a wuss" groups.

In my mind that middleground expeditionary craft equates to 32 x 10.5 or 11.5 tires on 15 or 16 x 8 wheels, between 1 and 2 inches lift or any more will look like I'm wearing highwaters with 32's. 33" seems to be the smallest a 2 1/2" lift is proportional with, and that will mean 4.10's - which I am prepared to do if necessary.

So, 89's, what you are saying is, go the 2.5", get 33s, and regear? I'm really interested in a long term, quality spring/shackle setup; if I'm taking chances piecing something together, I'll bite the Dakkar/OME bullet.

b56tc said:
So - need a h55 for certain, want a slightly higher stance for certain, would like taller tires for clearance and appearance, wide enough to not be a straight line only machine but narrow enough to not add tremendously to the rolling resistance. I think this reflects alot of us on the board; somewhere between the "bone stock or die" and "anything less than 35" and you're a wuss" groups.
I think I am in the same group, I am 33 - 35" guy. Bu thavent driven either of those sizes regularly. I feel that if you want a higher stance and need new springs then I think that the 2 1/2" is your package.

b56tc said:
In my mind that middleground expeditionary craft equates to 32 x 10.5 or 11.5 tires on 15 or 16 x 8 wheels, between 1 and 2 inches lift or any more will look like I'm wearing highwaters with 32's. 33" seems to be the smallest a 2 1/2" lift is proportional with, and that will mean 4.10's - which I am prepared to do if necessary.
Why 32's? How much Difference would it make to go with 33's? If you do decide you need to regear just get some fj62 thirds.

b56tc said:
So, 89's, what you are saying is, go the 2.5", get 33s, and regear? I'm really interested in a long term, quality spring/shackle setup; if I'm taking chances piecing something together, I'll bite the Dakkar/OME bullet.

I said some of this above. If I am going to get new springs I would want it to be at least noticable. OME is an excellent choice if you do go 2 1/2".
IMHO if you go that height you need to get 33's. But its not a necesity. (I am about to run 31's with a 4" lift. Yes it will look dumb, but its not for good. I think you could get away with 32's.

IF you decide to only go stock or maybe 1" then Alcan would be your only option IMHO. My 4" lift is alcan springs. Only thing with thier springs is getting all the other parts.

You will still need the same parts thast are included in the full OME kit. Be sure to get greasable pins and shackles as well as poly bushings. Many would also recomend anti-inversion shackles. Shocks are up to you. I have heard that the OEM shocks are great if you are stock height. You can search on shocks and make your own decision about them.

Overall there is tons and tons of info about upgrading suspension stuff. From steering to stock to crazy lift stuff. Look over some stuff get a few ideas together then go from there.

im running 32 11.50son stock crome rims and springs no rubbing but not enuf ground clearance. Will 2 and a half inch lifts clear a set of 33 12/50 trxus swampers?

I have an OME 2.5" lift kit, 33x12.5" tires, 15x8" steel rims, and stock 3:70 gears that works great at sea level... up at 4K+ elevation I wish I had 4:10 gears..... or more than 130hp :doh: plenty of clearance for the 33's and the ride is very very nice (medium spring pack)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom