What's a reasonable cost expectation for painting my 80 series ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Other than typical bump and bruise type body and paint repairs over the years I have never had an entire vehicle painted so I have no idea what a realistic expectation might be to do a very basic repaint my 93 80 series.

What I'm looking for is an affordable repaint done in the same color. There is no rust or significant body work needed. This is a farm utility,run around town vehicle and all I want is a decent affordable repaint.
So what is a reasonable price range to expect from a small shop or garage mechanic ?
I'm located around Louisville, KY

Thanks very much for opinions

Here is a current pic. Looks much better than it is and it has a lot of hood and roof oxidation.
Image.jpeg

:popcorn:

you'll get lots of opinions, as this is like asking, how long is a piece of string? :)

rattle can yourself - $60
do all the prep, sanding, and have MAACO-like shop spray it - $600
An "average" drop it off and have it painted with job of subjective quality - $1500-2500
A really nice pro job with quality paint - $4k and up

It really depends how much you want to spend. Or how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Sounds like you don't want anything fancy or to expensive. In California maaco does a once a year half off paint sale. A couple grand would surely get you a respray but who knows how happy you will be with the end result. Be careful With paint and body work cost. There are plenty on here who will tell you they Easily spent $10k or more for a respray. You really have to take it to shops in your area to see what kind of quotes you get. And tell them exactly what you want. Stay cheap or go all out. That's one reason I like the IDEA of monsta or raptor liner. Cheap and durable, no more scratches but the thought of laying it down is a little harder for me to actually do. Good luck on your paint quest. Post pics when done please.

I had the dealership repaint mine last year, because I was able to talk them into it, and had a good rapport with the body shop manager (who sadly is no longer with them; says more for his ethics than their personnel values). I had them remove all the glass, less the windshield, exterior trim, including flares, and replace all molding, including flare welting and the door/window seals. They didn't remove the OEM roof rack, due to rusted bolts.

Out the door, 10k. It looks new.

hahah^^^^

I got my 62 painted at Maaco for $800--single stage enamel to match factory white. Looked real sharp, but I did have to point out a few flaws and get them fixed before I finally took the truck back off their hands. If that green has any metallic in it, that will probably cost more.

Also remove stuff like bumpers, mudflaps, trim, etc at home if you can. You will get some overspray

I had a car painted at Maaco, not an 80, but to give you an idea of what to expect, the same principles apply. They will do the very minimum of masking and you may not like the lines that are a result of this. You can choose the paint material quality level. If you choose cheap paint it will last 2-3 years outdoors, better paint will last longer, and they'll tell you what to expect for the different price levels. With the California sun I chose their second cheapest paint and after 4 years it was tired again. Any place they did prep work didn't last as long, the original paint where it was good and all they had to do was scuff it lasted longer. They removed a few small trim pieces but no glass. I paid something like $1200 about 5 years ago. There were a couple of places they missed, I asked for the jamb of one door and they did a terrible job, they re-did it and it was better, but they really didn't want to make it to the level I wanted (paint on the entire area) and I ended up just living with it.

A lot of paint shops shy away from FULL body paint jobs. There literally isn't one in my town that will do my 80 series.

But for 'quality' paint and a little body work (small dents) you can expect $6k-10K

Last edited:
~$2,500.
I needed paint after scratching the s*** out of mine in BBSP. I spent 10hrs time & <$300 & Monstalina'd it. (whole rig is done. Need to update profile pic).

Well....

I own and run 3 Maaco's..
All of what you guys say, is true.

You cannot expect a factory finish job for $1000.00...
Everywhere you go, you get what you pay for.

In my shops, i have an option for every budget and costumer.

If you don't pay for labor to remove anything, you can't expect it to be removed.

Paint is paint, preparation is preparation; and preparation is key..

You can have the best paint in the world, and the best painter in the world.. If you don't do a good prep it will not be a pretty job.

I have painted more than 6 80's and 3 70's at my main shop, a couple from MUD partners and other personal ones, and all i can say is that every single one of them if different.

From color change, to simple spot paint every work is different.

Now, a quality job, removing almost everything, i wouldn't charge less than $3500 for a Base Coat / Clear Coat, including sealer and primer, of course, it depends on the preparation on the vehicle.

Again, if you go to a Maaco asking for a $600 paint job, YOU WILL GET A $600 PAINT JOB; is like going to McDonald's asking for a cheeseburger hoping that it taste like a T-Bone Steak.

Every vehicle needs different stuff, every costumer have their own needs. Is up to you deciding what you want and how much you want to spend on it. But then, you have to be smart knowing what to expect.

ANY question about prep and paint let me know! I will be more than happy to help.

@Mdej3 - what are top three recommendations you have to prolong a paint job (factory or otherwise). Definitely learning a few interesting things on this thread.

In my observation number one would be to keep it out of the sun whenever possible.

My shop paints as well. The prep work is where a lot of the money goes. Blocking a complete vehicle can take upwards of 20 hours and may need to be done 3 to 5 times for a truely nice paintjob.

We tend to do cars that are in the six figure area but even on a basic overall paint job with quality materials you are looking at $5000 and up...like up to 35k. Many brands of paint, just base coat, cost over $700 a gallon, no activator, no clear coat, no labor, just basecoat. This is the stuff that lasts 20+ years when applied correctly. Materials for a quality, overall paintjob can easily breach $3000.

I have received a several quotes ranging from $7500 to $8500 for a same color paint job.

If you're gonna take it offroad, anywhere near bushes, go camping with it, have kids/bikes/surf boards/ski/kayak/canoe etc (ie use the truck for what it is made for), line it and use the money you may have spent on paint on your suspension and so on. If you're just cruising to the mall, sure, paint her all up nice and purdy.

Side note - years ago I took my '76 Bronco in for a quick and cheap (like $600) paint job as the truck needed prep for a film shoot, the overspray was horrendous, and within a day of bouncing around on fire roads the rig was pretty stone-chipped. Production paid for the paint, but down the road it needed to be redone...

Disclaimer - my rig is not my daily driver, and it sits out in the sun 365 days a year.

Last edited:
I just did a full repaint on a black LX450. I ended up around $13k.... That included welding up all the plastic cladding holes, the sunroof and cutting vents in the hood, without all of that I would bet I would still be around $9,000. Just the cut and polish was well over 20 hours, and at a shop rate of over $100/hr you are looking at $2k just to cut and buff after paint.

If you want reasonable deliver the truck with everything removed. No glass, no trim, no lights, you remove everything. You will also need to reinstall it but you will be much happier with the results than some one making minimum wage masking them off.

View attachment 1421931 Let's see? $900.00 in tires, $500.00 roof rack, I can live without the front end add on's. $1500.00 paint job, Lift kit ? I'm screwed but man this looks nice. View attachment 1421932

If your truck is the bottom one ant what you want is on top then yes. It will take a lot of money in mods to get there. These trucks take a lot of time and money to get built. My truck looks more similar to the one n top. Like most people here i spent several years building it, getting deals on parts or finding used parts. It is a long costly process for sure. My paint is way worse than yours. In my opinion it looks just fine on a truck that is usually dirty and covered in pin striping from the trail. Not trying to sound like a dick about this, just trying to be honest.

And to rub salt in the wound you are way under on the guesstimate of tires and roof rack. My STT Pros just cost me around $1200 for 5 mounted and balanced and my Gamiviti rack was around $800 which is way cheaper than most roof racks. Unless you have a welder, skill and time there is no cheap way to do this. I dont have any of those 3 things personally. good luck!

@Mdej3 - what are top three recommendations you have to prolong a paint job (factory or otherwise). Definitely learning a few interesting things on this thread.

In my observation number one would be to keep it out of the sun whenever possible.

1- Wash it at least once every two weeks.

2- WAX twice a year.

3- Stay away from jealous girlfriends / ex girlfriends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom