What you think about this oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, as first prize for show and shine this past July I got a Hot Shot’s care package. Was browsing the catalog that was included and found this oil. Seems like a good thing for our old diesels? What you think? Anyone using this?

4FD6B301-5943-4029-969E-144238171A5C.jpeg

43C1828F-1388-4229-B1EF-9598597214EF.jpeg

I wouldn’t. But, it’s probably fine.

I’m trying to get my diesel to last forever even if that means swapping it into another body.

I am still hooked on Rotella T4 for my 3B, just saying.
^^^

3B is not the type of engine to just experiment oils on.

Like I mean, it’s a very tough engine but I’m not risking hurting mine out of curiosity, I can barely get parts for mine too.

My dads 3B ran till 550,000 km without skipping a beat, and it probably ran another 100,000+ KM on it after he sold it. It was rusty though.

I'm switching to it from AMSOIL marine 15w40

I've got an Amsoil bypass system too I wonder how good this PAO nano tech really is only oil analysis will tell BLACK Diamond outlaw 15w40 FTW? let's see

How much zinc does it actually contain? There's a big selection of HDEO around with alreay very high zinc levels but I'm unsure of your location so maybe your limited to choice. I'm not seeing many international ratings in the information for this oil like JASO DH1 etc

How much zinc does it actually contain? There's a big selection of HDEO around with alreay very high zinc levels but I'm unsure of your location so maybe your limited to choice. I'm not seeing many international ratings in the information for this oil like JASO DH1 etc
North America

here is an oil analysis I've found online HOTSHOTS Claims to have a TBN of 15 so these lab results are close!!!

Technical Data Sheet

102474-feebb23d2ebdfa92cec439510529eb4e.jpg

Last edited:
IMO there's virtually no point in synthetic for a 15W40. 15W40 is a grade that mineral oils can easily reach.
If you're going synthetic you could likely find a 5W40 that you could run more of the year. It's safe down to cranking at -30C.

The 3B/2H/12HT generation isn't really going to care much about oil additives, it's not going to clog the DPF or EGR. Wouldn't 15w40 be a bit thick for your climate anyway?

IMO there's virtually no point in synthetic for a 15W40. 15W40 is a grade that mineral oils can easily reach.
If you're going synthetic you could likely find a 5W40 that you could run more of the year. It's safe down to cranking at -30C.

The 3B/2H/12HT generation isn't really going to care much about oil additives, it's not going to clog the DPF or EGR. Wouldn't 15w40 be a bit thick for your climate anyway?
generally you are correct about using 15W-40 year round. I usually use a synthetic 5W-40, but was thinking for breaking in the engine dyno would be better? how many miles should I use dyno before switching to synthetic? I am currently probably around 10,000mi since overhaul. Seems to still be using a little bit of oil smoke wise, but over 5,000km it does not seem to be using too much, maybe less than half a quart. I am planning on using the 15W-40 this winter since this isn't my daily driver anymore, so it sits in the warm garage all winter. If I go for a drive it will be already at around 60F before going outside in the cold. I will just have to be sure and pay attention to the oil pressure. Other thoughts?

I’ve used 15w40 amsoil marine all winter no issues Canadian winters. I do have a webasto that helps but the oil in the sump stays cold takes a bit to get The engine to operating temp.

generally you are correct about using 15W-40 year round. I usually use a synthetic 5W-40, but was thinking for breaking in the engine dyno would be better? how many miles should I use dyno before switching to synthetic? I am currently probably around 10,000mi since overhaul. Seems to still be using a little bit of oil smoke wise, but over 5,000km it does not seem to be using too much, maybe less than half a quart. I am planning on using the 15W-40 this winter since this isn't my daily driver anymore, so it sits in the warm garage all winter. If I go for a drive it will be already at around 60F before going outside in the cold. I will just have to be sure and pay attention to the oil pressure. Other thoughts?

I rebuilt my Isuzu 4BD1T 3 years ago. I only put a few thousand km on it a year but I noticed this year the exhaust is clean enough I can see up it at idle. I couldn't just after rebuild.
I run dyno oil, using up the last of my 15W40 before I go to 10W40. It doesn't get cold enough here to need thinner, but I've noticed big improvements in how the vehicle drives cold with multigrade synthetics in the driveline so it's gotta help.

My ute is supposed to run 5W30 engine oil. At the first service the dealer put 15W40 in it and I lost ~8% fuel economy. Went back to 5W30 next oil change and economy came back.

I’ve used 15w40 amsoil marine all winter no issues Canadian winters. I do have a webasto that helps but the oil in the sump stays cold takes a bit to get The engine to operating temp.

Webasto absolutely helps. Cold oil is just an annoyance until it gets thick enough to not pump. Then your engine has a really bad time after cold start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom