What would you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am in a bit of a dilemma. I have a 2013 4Runner Trail (63k) in great shape, but I love the idea and options of a 2013 GX460. But I can’t afford to spend money so do I sell the 4Runner and buy a GX with close to 100k on it? It just seems odd to sell and get a car with so many miles. I know the GXs are dependable, but psychologically it’s a tough decision.

What is it that the GX has that you want and the 4Runner doesn't? Also, there are some aspects of the 4Runner the people like over the GX, things like the roll-down rear window and being able to change out the radio for one with CarPlay/AndroidAuto, make sure you won't miss those if you make the switch.

Trade a low mile early 5th Gen TE that you've owned for a higher mile GX that someone else owned, you must be out of your ever loving mind. In no way, under no circumstances would I ever suggest that you do such a thing, period. If you were considering moving to a 200-series then I could get behind that move, but you sir need to step back from the edge and enjoy that TE.

What is it that the GX has that you want and the 4Runner doesn't? Also, there are some aspects of the 4Runner the people like over the GX, things like the roll-down rear window and being able to change out the radio for one with CarPlay/AndroidAuto, make sure you won't miss those if you make the switch.
I do love the rear window, but the engine is so lackluster in the altitude of Colorado. I live at 7200 feet and the thing is a dog. I think the V8 would help, especially when pulling a trailer.

I do love the rear window, but the engine is so lackluster in the altitude of Colorado. I live at 7200 feet and the thing is a dog. I think the V8 would help, especially when pulling a trailer.

I have owned them both and there is very little real world difference between the two motors. The GX has +25hp, +50lbft of torque and an extra gear, that's what separates them, but the kicker is that the GX weighs 600lbs+ more than the 5th Gen and it's full-time 4WD which translates to power being robbed by the drivetrain and the added weight. It could possibly tow a little better since the V8 has more torque and it's rated to tow more weight, the extra weight could possibly provide more stability, but this wouldn't be earth shattering and in no way would it be worth the trade-offs you'd be giving up here. Altitude is going to negatively impact the power of any combustion engine, if you truly want more power and torque for towing simply swapping to another 150-series isn't the answer. Look at a 200-series or keep what you have, that's my opinion.

Keep your TE and add an external transmission cooler and rear airbags to it. Neither one is going to set any land speed records (especially towing). Those two simple mods will make the TE handle a lot better under all conditions and likely save the transmission from long term effects of straining/towing of over the mountain pass. go on toyota-4runner.org in the 5th gen section there for detailed installs on both mods... together not likely to cost you over $500.

And other specs show them at 5450 on the 2014+. I weighed our 2011 on our scales at the farm and it was 5380 with a full tank of fuel. Needless to say, the GX is heavier by 500lbs or more depending on trim, year model, and mods and that negatively impacts the small HP bump it has over the 4.0L in the 5th Gen. #facts

Keep your TE and add an external transmission cooler and rear airbags to it. Neither one is going to set any land speed records (especially towing). Those two simple mods will make the TE handle a lot better under all conditions and likely save the transmission from long term effects of straining/towing of over the mountain pass. go on toyota-4runner.org in the 5th gen section there for detailed installs on both mods... together not likely to cost you over $500.

1000lb air bags are only $78 on amazon, that's all he really needs, I need to put a set in the rear of mine as well. A tranny cooler wouldn't hurt, nor would a trailer brake system like the one from Redarc.

At just 100k miles or under I wouldn't consider an issue. From my experience a Toyota/Lexus is just getting broken in at 100,000 miles!
Also remember that the GX 460 doesn't have a timing belt, but a chain that does not have to be replaced every 90,000 miles like our 100 series Landcruiser's did.
Our Toyota experience:
  • My daughters 2004 Rav4 traded at 200,000 miles for a 2013 Rav4 all-wheel drive.
  • My wifes 1998 LandCruiser, sold at 285,000 miles, still strong as a mule, just burnt out paint and interior getting worn. Still ran great when sold.
  • My 1998 LandCruiser, sold at 255,000 miles, still strong as a mule, just burnt out paint, a little rust and interior getting worn. Still ran great when sold.
  • 1991 Previa van all-wheel drive, hydro locked at 205,000. Gave it to my church who gave it to friends of our and he put a new motor (used from Japan) and it ran another couple hundred thousand miles before they got rid of it.
  • 1989 pick up 4x4, sold at 280,000 miles. Still ran great when sold we it to our friends kid as his first car. Still running.
  • my daughters 1989 4Runner sold at almost 300,000 miles. Still ran great when we sold it to our nephew for his first car. Not sure what happened since.
So unless you plan on burning up a lot of miles, I wouldn't worry about it.
By the way, our family's current vehicles are:
  • My 2013 GX460, purchased with 38,000 miles last year.
  • My wife's 2007 Tacoma 4x4 crewcab with 170,000 miles, purchased last year.
  • My daughters 2013 Rav4 160,000 miles purchased last year.
Yea, we did a lot of vehicle purchases last year, but love them!

We have had a 12 T4R limited for 3 or 4 years and just picked up a 15 GX as well. The GX is better in every measurable way except for cargo space in the back. I’m thinking seriously of selling the 4Runner and picking up another GX. And that v8 definitely makes a difference. It’s not a rocket by any means, but it’s not a tractor like the 4Runner either. GX feels much more a 3/4 Land Cruiser, where the 4Runner feels like a Tacoma station wagon. Go test drive one and you’ll know what to do.

I have driven one as well. Very refined, feels a bit more powerful. I did notice the smaller storage and not a fan of the door or lack of sliding window. 🤔

Reactions: r2m
I have driven one as well. Very refined, feels a bit more powerful. I did notice the smaller storage and not a fan of the door or lack of sliding window. 🤔
Agreed, the rear door is an acquired taste. It is nice at least having the flip up rear window for bringing home those 10' 2x4's from Lowes!
The GX470's didn't even have that!

Agreed, the rear door is an acquired taste. It is nice at least having the flip up rear window for bringing home those 10' 2x4's from Lowes!
The GX470's didn't even have that!

The flip up rear window was one thing that convinced me to spend more on a GX460 vs. the GX470. Our station wagon has the same feature, and we use it all the time. It's so easy to flip open the window, rather than open up the entire hatch.

Also, when the trunk is loaded to the brim, it's nice to open the window to access a few things.

Yes, a pop open window is nice, but a slide down is ideal, especially when I have a hitch bike rack loaded up on the back. Which is yet another issue with the way the door opens.

With my rear bumper with tire carrier, dual jerry can mounts, HAM antenna mount and MaxTrax, I have to swing out my tire carrier anyways if I want to lift my rear window. But I can drive with it open if necessary. It's just opening it up, getting past the top of my spare tire to get it all the way open.

Yes, a pop open window is nice, but a slide down is ideal, especially when I have a hitch bike rack loaded up on the back. Which is yet another issue with the way the door opens.

Rear window opens with plenty on room with our bikes on the Kuat 4 tray rack. Easily grab helmets/gear and ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom