What was I thinking when I bought this '96 80!? PICS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

* Best Creative Use of Black Paint on Alloys
* Tires look small with that lift...4" lift?
* Yellow front shock looks like OME
* Great price if original miles

Make sure the miles are legitimate and make sure it's been maintained. And remember that the higher the lift and the bigger the tires, the more $$$ to correct the caster, gear ratio, brake lines, lspv, panhard rods, etc.

Looks like an awesome truck! If you dont want it I'll buy it off you...tonight. Thats a great deal for that mileage and with a lift kit.

P.S. The rims look great. Everyone has their own opinion but that's one of the most original rim painting jobs I've seen on stock rims.

Welcome Rocwood21 :flipoff2:
It looks like a great buy and I also like the painted rims. Going from an Acura to this will be a big diff in gas mileage. I went from an Accord to a 5" lifted YJ Wrangler and saw only 10 mpg's as a daily commuter back when I lived up in DC, but I loved every minute of owning it. I can't say anything bad about my LX450 since owning it for the past 8 years (except its not modded like I want it yet ;)) It's been VERY dependable.

I'm also new to IH8MUD but am learning more and more about this awesome vehicle! Just enjoy the new ride!:beer:

I recognize that too from Autotrader. It was originally posted stock looking. Maybe they did the mods to increase interest.

Too late now but it is always good to get someone to check out the vehicle for you, usually people are willing to do that if they are closer than you.

And plenty of people use their rigs for daily drivers. I drive mine one hour each way to and from work, but that's only going to be until I get my other car back on the road.

I recognize that too from Autotrader. It was originally posted stock looking. Maybe they did the mods to increase interest.

That is incorrect. They had 2 green ones for sale at the same time. The other had much higher miles.

Wow good catch Duck...thanks Mike this will have to be my daily driver for now until I get a backup. No matter what ends up being wrong with it I am going to get it fixed. I already plan on timing belt, wp, spark plugs, headgasket,every seal, front end, rear, I mean everything. I don't want to worry. A full baseline. I am no mechanic so I will have to find the right person to do this and I know it's going to cost tons and tons of money since I do not wrench. I am not rich but these things sound like they are too tough and too nice to not have everything in working order. It will be very expensive but oh well, I think I am in for the long haul. I am just dreading a 10 hour trip in this thing not knowing anything about its current status or its history. I am already expecting that something(s) on this truck needs repair or "soon" or in need of repair. Probably harsh ride, who knows. I just want to make it home okay. Here are some more pics and I will post more Monday or Tuesday when I bring it home.
L2.jpg
Landcruiser 2.jpg
L4.jpg

Wow good catch Duck...thanks Mike this will have to be my daily driver for now until I get a backup. No matter what ends up being wrong with it I am going to get it fixed. I already plan on timing belt, wp, spark plugs, headgasket,every seal, front end, rear, I mean everything. I don't want to worry. A full baseline. I am no mechanic so I will have to find the right person to do this and I know it's going to cost tons and tons of money since I do not wrench. I am not rich but these things sound like they are too tough and too nice to not have everything in working order. It will be very expensive but oh well, I think I am in for the long haul. I am just dreading a 10 hour trip in this thing not knowing anything about its current status or its history. I am already expecting that something(s) on this truck needs repair or "soon" or in need of repair. Probably harsh ride, who knows. I just want to make it home okay. Here are some more pics and I will post more Monday or Tuesday when I bring it home.

you're going to get ripped off a lot with that attitude. read a little and diy or get it done right.
I'll do your timing belt for only $500.
why no interior/mechanical pics? Did you ever see any or just exterior? It looks like a 6" lift but maybe it's got 33's and just looks exaggerated

If you gonna drive it 10-hours and you don't know the history, then at a minimum check the engine oil level and the coolant level/color. Carry some extra coolant and engine oil with you just in case you need to top off.

For a 10-hour drive, I usually put in a bottle of Redline Fuel Injector Cleaner to a full tank of gas. This way I get to clean the injectors in one day. I do more, but it looks like you are in hurry to get home.

I guess I will just have to find the right person to do the job. I could learn small stuff but I wouldn't attempt a timing belt or something like that. What is your location? Yeah I saw the interior also. Factory everything, wood grain that is overdue to be taken off, average carpet, seats had seat covers so more than likely old worn leather. Does not look trashed just aged. That would be the second phase of this whole thing...New interior (complete) better stereo. I would like all of this done within 6 months including what I said in previous post.

I am in a hurry to get back but I want to make sure everything is right as far as fluids and the basics. I will carry some extras in case something happens. I already have some lucas injector cleaner so I guess I will use that.. Thanks for all the great and fast responding help.

but I wouldn't attempt a timing belt or something like that.

These do not have timing belts. They have a timing chain that pretty much never needs to be replaced.

Dude-FirstToy is messing with you. It doesn't have a timing belt. At those miles it won't need a WP yet either. The head gasket is not a bad idea, but it could still go years without going out. I'd recemmend you drive it awile before you spend a bunch of money you don't need to. Get all the PM caught up, then worry about fixing stuff that isn't broken.

That is incorrect. They had 2 green ones for sale at the same time. The other had much higher miles.

Oh okay, pic was same angle and looked like the same rig. I just saw the wheels and backed away slowly!

Dude-FirstToy is messing with you. It doesn't have a timing belt. At those miles it won't need a WP yet either. The head gasket is not a bad idea, but it could still go years without going out. I'd recemmend you drive it awile before you spend a bunch of money you don't need to. Get all the PM caught up, then worry about fixing stuff that isn't broken.

x2
Unless it acts like it needs something don't waste the time and money before it is necessary, if it aint broke, don't fix it!:cheers:

So............what happened with the pick-up? Did you get it? Was it all that it cracked up to be?

This is my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. It is what is was cracked up to be until I find a problem. I drove it back from Greenville, NC back home to Nashville, TN on Monday. I will upload more pictures that I was supposed to do on Tuesday. The only thing I have done is remove the third row seats,trailer hitch, and some of the wood grain. Other than that it looks and drives very nice. For some reason this thing is getting abnormally good gas mileage. With 35's and about a 6" lift I am getting around 15-16mpg. Yes sounds crazy and I don't even understand. I thought my gas gage was broken but it is not. I know OME doesn't have a 6" kit but it is definitely above 4" of lift easily. It is not eating gas like I thought and I don't even worry about it or notice it being bad or near as bad as I thought. I was expecting around 8 or 9mpg at best. I thought the ride would be extremely harsh but I felt so comftorable on that 10 hour trip back home and even around town. Nice LC and a heck of a deal for the low miles,the lift, and the good condition it is in. I have no idea why someone else did not buy it sooner. Look for more pictures soon....

I have no idea why someone else did not buy it sooner.

I was tempted as it was available when I was looking, but I HAD to have the magic button, and his photo of the sticker showed me a K292........so, no dice.

Yeah alot of you guys need lockers. I will NEVER need them nor will I ever use 4wd. I went and played in a field and thats the most it will see. Strictly for looking good going down the road. Out of all the ones I have seen this is my favorite... ;) North Carolina is a pretty state by the way....

Do you still think you will never go off road? Try it once and you will be hooked, also maybe I missed it but do you have lockers?

ask around for local cruiser clubs near you. Someone in the club with the knowledge, tools and experience may be willing to do most of your work for you at a great price. Better then going to the dealership.

I guess the main thing is to remember this is a TRUCK. So be prepared for it to ride like a truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom