what transmissions will fit on a 3fe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i may be able to get a 3fe sonn and i want to know what trannys i could put behind it and run dual cases. i prefer an auto but am not limtied to.

Check out your thread on pirate. They gave you quite a few options to mull over. Auto and Manual...

thanks i also wanted to ask on this board since it is more 80 specific.

The 3FE is fitted with an A440 automatic in the US. I don't personally know anyone that has tried a different trans behind one.

i would like to use an a440 becuase they are pretty much bulletproof, but i sont want to spen and arm and a leg for one.

How about getting the trans/transfer that was attached to it to begin with?

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4500;start=msg33812#msg33812 date=1061492344]
I don't personally know anyone that has tried a different trans behind one.
[/quote]
Original poster wanted an automatic, but several of us 3F-Ers have an h42 4 speed behind them as well as h55fs.

--
Pskhaat

3fj40,

Good info, I assume you use 2F bellhousings, ETC? I'm also curious, did you retain the EFI or go to a carburetor? Do you use the late 60 series transfer with the H55F?

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4500;start=msg33836#msg33836 date=1061498907]
I assume you use 2F bellhousings, ETC? I'm also curious, did you retain the EFI or go to a carburetor? Do you use the late 60 series transfer with the H55F?
[/quote]
3F-E went into my 78 FJ40. Re-used housing, clutch, starter, flywheel and H42F tranny, and other various 2F parts. Mounts right up to old engine mounting brackets. I did consider carb'ing it, but found an excellent source for all the ECU stuff so right now I'm in the process of wiring the ECU and electronic equipment to the sensors/injectors/et al. Wish I had the H55F, but spent enough money having to pay someone to do block swap. I have tools and decent knowledge, just don't have a picker/lift/garage to perform that so I had nothing left over for a 5spd.

BTW, it's only the massive wiring job and matching the 2F wiring diagram to the 3F-E wiring diagram, figuring what wires can be shared and not, ignition and reuse of sensors that make this a super-sized-:banana: job.

Drivability with EFI(particularly cold and on inclines) should be excelent. I would be interested to know how it finishes up.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4500;start=msg33861#msg33861 date=1061501873]
cold and on inclines) should be excelent. I would be interested to know how it finishes up.
[/quote]

Well, I'm in AZ so shouldn't have to worry too much about the cold though ;) the 3F block had the added benefit of my favorite addition the block heater. I will keep this list and of course the 3FE list updated occassionally. Don't know if this will make it without a registered user, but current state of affairs as of two weeks ago:

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3fe/vwp?.dir=/3FJ40&.dnm=Top+view.jpg&.src=gr&.view=t&.hires=t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom