what size thule cross bar to use? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I keep mine short because of the tight trails here in the East
Some people like them longer
And they still get hung up from time to time
I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the big knobs on the mount to keep it even tighter

I believe you can just back the knobs completely out and replace them with (IIRC) 5/16" bolts. Of course, that will do away with the ability to lock them onto the rain gutter, but that may not matter.....

As has been said, 53" is the sweet spot, IMO. Here are some other pics of where that length would stop on the sides, not Thule but the length is 53" Gamiviti - roof racks I have run longer bars and definitely hit trees, but again it's all about what you do, trails can get tight here especially with side hills.

I don't know Thule, but on Yakima yes you can take off those big knobs and just use bolts, the bolt size is 3/8-16. You can also sawzall off the protruding boss that surrounds the bolt head, making access with the wrench easier as well as less stuff to stick out. I've never worried about theft protection, but I presume you could use some star-type bolt head instead of standard hex for an added deterrent.. just make sure you've got that socket in the truck when you need it. hth :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom