What size material traction bar / pan hard?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
80 series, one tons, using the radius arms, extended/lowered the rear brackets for the arms, working on getting the pan hard bar built now. The factory piece is too short but close to usable, but was extended at some point (welded). Factory is about 1.25” solid bar.

plan is to replicate that, but I will need bends in different places to clear radius arms (top of axles) and diff. It should be able to clear with bends in the right places similar to factory.

question: 1.25” regular steel work? Need to be spring steel or a hardened steel?

what size tube would work as an alternate and be safe?

I play in deep snow, a little mud and run it down pot holed washed out roads and creek beds, but don’t really play in the rocks, for reference of usage

6E9F96F5-7FD6-449E-A5E0-9FB642BDFF63.jpeg

B1BFD9A5-C5A9-4431-B01B-A115D2C87038.jpeg

You sure the factory 80 panhard is solid bar? I thought it was tube.

I'd go for 1.25" or 1.5" 1/8 wall Dom or thicker wall.

Appears to be, made another cut further in. Measures 1.25”

I’m really wanting to avoid under building it and creating components where death wobble can rear its ugly face. I guess either I’ll go with 1.25” solid bar or heavy wall 1.5” tube

BDC8160E-3DDA-4C33-B145-CC6CD90CF3C3.jpeg

Appears to be, made another cut further in. Measures 1.25”

I’m really wanting to avoid under building it and creating components where death wobble can rear its ugly face. I guess either I’ll go with 1.25” solid bar or heavy wall 1.5” tube

View attachment 2753698

Unless you built the panhard bar out of a wet noodle, death wobble is more a function of poor steering/suspension geometry and/or loose steering/suspension components. Surely, you don't want the panhard bar to fail, but if you have death wobble, it's likely not the fault of the panhard bar. You should be fine sleeving and extending that thing, or buy a new aftermarket one that is adjustable and can be extended to the length you need.

I'd go at least 3/16ths or 1/4" wall DOM for both of those. No reason to undersize.

but my 2 cents on this is only .00002 cents.

Rough stuff is using 1.5 x .25 wall,. Dan tends to overkill stuff but overkill is good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom