What kind of trailer is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lcgeek

Glad to meet you!
Threads
Anyone know what model trailer this might be? I am taking a look at it this evening. The owner could not give me dimensions and said he does not have an ID plate on it. He did say it was "larger than those ones they pull behind the jeeps" :) This leads me to think maybe this is a 1 1/2 ton rather than a 3/4 ton? What are thoughts out there on 1 1/2 tons behind the cruiser?
Thanks!
trailer1.jpg

I think I may be off in my previous tonage estimates, but hopefully someone can set me straight! :)

That is the big-dog that was designed to pull behind the 6x6 I believe. It's probably a little hefty for any Land Cruiser. I think it is an M105, and is a 1.5-ton. The smaller ones are M416 and M101 models, and are rated at 1/4 ton off road.

M101 american. 3/4 ton. Off road weight. Like the 416 the numbers are quite conservative. I bet you could carry 1 1/2 ton with it.

M101 CND is the small 416 look a like.

I am guessing it is a M101 american....... Not 100% sure tho

Now that the trailer has been ID'd and we have an A-student in the house....any additional thoughts on how this would trailer behind an 80 or 100? Thanks!
JT

I'm sure it would tow just fine behind either an 80 or 100. As mentioned, a little large for any offroading, but to fill it up with camping gear and coolers...I don't think you would have a problem. Just don't exceed the GVW of the towing vehicle.
If you get it, service the wheel bearings first thing. The are usually very neglected on trailers.
Also looks like the tougue has been modified, does it still have a lunette ring or has it been converted to a ball coupler?

GL

Ed

thanks Ed. It has been converted to 2" ball.
JT

I would think it would be pretty heavy even empty behind an 80. But doable. The 100 should tow it no problem. I know a diesel 60 could never tow it. Well it could if you like doing 40 up any hill.......

Ah head of the class...LOL. Actually thats the trailer that gets mixed up with the little Canadian M101... same designation.

That trailer would be an excellent work trailer behind any fullsize truck or SUV. Offroad it would be too big, arn't they normally towed by 6x6 trucks?

M101 is a 3/4 ton trailer. bedsize is about 8'x5'6'. (inside bed dimensions) roughly 8.5x6.5 outside not including tongue.

I pull one of these behind an F350 PS 4x4 CC. pulls great. matches nicely aerodynamically behind the big truck with a shell on the truck and the canvas and bows on the trailer.

I considered pulling one behind my 80 and ruled it out due the size (width) of the trailer.
Just the trailer without the cover and bows installed is about the size of a popup trailer and around the same weight loaded up. 3000lbs. I might as well drag a popup.

The vintage of the trailer kind of determines the wheel installed originally.
Military truck type wheels indicate a 60's vintage. Designed to pull behind a 1.5 ton truck like a M35.
Steel pickup looking wheels indicate a 70-80's vintage, for pulling behind the CUCV trucks (chevy pickup)

The M105 is a 1.5 ton trailer, with airbrakes. Looks similar although it is actually somewhat bigger. Designed to be pulled behind a 6x6 truck. (2.5 or 5 ton) Huge heavy beast.

The latest variants (M1101 and M1101A2) are for pulling behind HUMMV and have a wider yet short body and look much different

Great feedback guys, I am going to pass on this one as it is a tad big for my purpose - I appreciate the good info!
JT

Panzer said:
M101 is a 3/4 ton trailer. bedsize is about 8'x5'6'. (inside bed dimensions) roughly 8.5x6.5 outside not including tongue.

I pull one of these behind an F350 PS 4x4 CC. pulls great. matches nicely aerodynamically behind the big truck with a shell on the truck and the canvas and bows on the trailer.

Got any pics of this with the truck?

No those are cnd M101's. Where as the Mercan M101 is the huge bugger at the top of the page.

I have a M101 that tow behind my FJ62. It's hooked up to the vehicle 90% of the time. Use it to haul pine needles, oak leaves, branches, fire wood and just about anything else. I only use it around my cabin. If you look on the frame by the front of the bed you will see a pin on either side, When you pull the pins and set the hand brakes (one for each wheel) the bed dumps. I got mine off Ebay cheap that's including stake sides and bows. These trailers make great work trailers but are to big for use off road. While I tow this with my FJ62 for highway use it is better suited to my 100 series.

John

As has been pointed out above, it's an M101 3/4 ton trailer. Originally the main tow vehicle was a Dodge M37 3/4 ton 4x4 cargo truck, sometimes called a weapons carrier. For this reason the M101 and M101A1 shares the same wheel and tire as the M37 (5-lug Budd rims with 900x16 tires).

Payload is 1500 lbs cross-country (mil-speak for "off road"), and 2250 lbs on highway.

Gross weight on the wheels is 2640 cross country, 3360 highway.

Empty weight on the wheels is 1225 lbs.

Weight on the landing leg or tongue is 115 lbs empty, 200 cross country gross, 230 highway gross.

From the photo, it looks like there is a handbrake just barely visible behind the spare tire mounted on the front of the trailer. The M101 had the handbrakes inboard of the angled frame rails. The M101A1 had the handbrakes outboard of the frame rails. There is a minor difference between early and late M101 handbrake setups, though. It appears this is a late M101.

The parking brakes are also different. There are three different brakes originally used on these trailers. M101 early, M101 late (which should be this trailer, notwithstanding axle or hub swaps), and M101A1.

Original wiring harnesses and intervehicular cables are also different, but in this case there are only two versions - early M101, while the late M101 & M101A1 are the same.

During the 1960's, the M101 was also towed by the M715 series of 4x4 trucks. These had incompatible rims and tires, requiring a spare to be carried. Usually a spare was tossed into the towing vehicle, but some units bolted spares to the trailers.

There are also M101A2 versions. These came out in the 1970's when the CUCV's were issued. These differed in having CUCV rims and tires, and almost always a hydraulic brake actuator assembly on the nose of the trailer. This was the only version that had road brakes. All the other versions had parking brakes only.

Originally, the M101 series had wooden cargo slat sides (milspeak is cargo rack) that fit above the sides, front and doors, and hoops for a canvas top.

These trailers are fairly large, roughly being the equivalent of making a trailer out of a full sized short bed pickup, though much beefier. They would not be a good choice for an FJ40 sized vehicle. An ideal tow vehicle would be a 3/4-ton full size pickup truck. Full sized Suburbans, Broncos and vans have towed them without problems. The main issue is that there are no brakes, so 1/2 ton brakes are a drawback in hilly country with heavy loads. These are the largest *practical* trailers for most people with full sized pickups. The M104 & M105 1-1/2 ton trailers are simply too large and heavy, having been built for 2-1/2 ton 6x6 trucks. A friend does own an M105 equipped with a 375 gallon water tank and fire pump, which is used for fire protection on jobsites in the woods. He hauls it with his F-350, and it's quite a load on logging roads. He also parks it at a job site, not at home. Generally the large M104 & M105 trailers are cheaper than the smaller M101 trailers. There's a reason for this. The M101 is practical. The M104 & M105 are not, and are thus less desirable to most people.

Anyone who owns an M101 3/4 ton trailer should try and obtain an original or copy of the tech manual:

TM 9-2330-202-14P
OPERATOR, ORGANIZATIONAL AND FIELD MAINTENANCE
INSTRUCTIONS, REPAIR PARTS AND SPECIAL TOOLS
FOR
TRAILER, CARGO: 3/4-TON, 2-WHEEL
M101 (2330-738-9509) AND M101A1
(2330-898-6779)

CHASSIS: TRAILER: 3/4-TON, 2-WHEEL
M116 (2330-542-5987) AND
M116A1 (2330-898-6780)​

(The M116 is a chassis without body, for mounting generators, etc.)

Jon in NC said:
Got any pics of this with the truck?

Jon,
Next time I deploy I'll take a couple of digi-snaps.
Wont be until OCT.
CAS

lcgeek said:
Anyone know what model trailer this might be?

If it has 5 hole, 16" Budd wheels with 9:00 x 16" tires it is an M101 or M101A1 3/4 ton trailer. It was intended to be towed by the M37 Dodge 3/4 ton or the M715 5/4 ton.

Offroad load rated at 3/4 ton. On hiway rated for 1 1/2 tons.

Trailer weight (with racks, bows and tarp - I think) is about 1100 lbs.

I have an M101A1 and an M101A3. THey pull really well and on a hard. level surface they are balanced so you can pick up the drawbar and move it around by hand.

A word of caution - don't load it unless its hitched to a truck. Put enough on the back and it'll tip up on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom