What is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I found this little black box on my tail light, it was stuck on there by some kind of grey tack. It had a bell-shaped hole on it and I could tell there was something inside. I cracked it open and found a circuit board wired to a piezo disc and a long green tube that had copper wire wrapped around a graphite rod. The hammer did some work to it so it's a little busted, but here is the pic of the remains.

Is this a tracking device or what? Kinda worried.

wutjs2.jpg

I will not confirm or deny if that is a tracking device. :D

-B-

Was it hooked up some way to the reverse light? Maybe a Back-up alarm?

That's my best bet....either that or some sort of GPS tracking device...look up next time...is that a Predator Drone? :p

So I found this little black box on my tail light, it was stuck on there by some kind of grey tack. It had a bell-shaped hole on it and I could tell there was something inside. I cracked it open and found a circuit board wired to a piezo disc and a long green tube that had copper wire wrapped around a graphite rod. The hammer did some work to it so it's a little busted, but here is the pic of the remains.

Is this a tracking device or what? Kinda worried.

wutjs2.jpg

yup, monitoring device...

who are you, what do you want with us, and what have you done, Mr. 1 post? :D

Lol I've been a member here awhile, but my old account just got nuked due to inactivity recently.

But yeah, the thing was just stuck on there, like someone actually put it there. It wasn't there before. But so far, no coppers at my door (or a Predator Drone :p), so I guess it's safe lol.

... so I guess it's safe

Complacency. Just what they want.

Start looking into those skull caps that are made of tin foil. You can put them inside your ball cap and they are not too noticeable. It keeps them from stealing your brain waves.

And always remember... just because everyone is out to get you doesn't mean that you are paranoid.

-B-

maybe take a better pic of the board :D you know, that little flower setting on your camera :D

take a solid high res macro shot of both sides of the board and the housing it came in, maybe we can give you an idea how pricey it is, IE who would be using it.....

Lol, my camera sucks (3 megapixels), there's no way it's getting any clearer than that :p

Well, nobody has come knocking at my door, and I have yet to see another one of those things slapped on my car. I'll see if I can borrow someone's camera to get a better pic of it though.

3 MP should be fine, just select macro so it can focus up close in, the res should be ok, its just out of focus.... Then upload the full sized image and post a link to it, so as to not kill anyones connection when they check out this thread.

i'm curious about that round disk at the end, and chance it could be a sonic sensor and that its part of a wireless back up device? not unnecessarily for making a beeping noise when you back up to warn people, but maybe something that would have been linked into a device in the cab that would tell you when you are about to hit the cube van parked behind you.

For clarification, how long have you had the truck, are you SURE it wasn't there before you bought it, what do you do again? :)

Check with the wife the PI go tired of following u all the time.

Looks like my camera doesnt have a macro setting. So much for that.

The round disc is a piezo disc, definitely for receiving (possibly recording) sound. I've built microphones that use that exact same piece. I've had my truck for about 7 months and it was never there until the day I found it. It definitely wasn't stock because it was stuck on the tail light with tack, it wasn't a permanent feature for sure.

As for my job, I'm a software technician at an insurance company. And as for the PI/wife, I'm unmarried :p

Well was there any possibility it was there when you bought the truck, not installed by the factory obviously, but by a previous owner? My guess is its part of a wireless back up sensor unit, and the disk is for echolocation. The one thing that I find hard to believe is if I was going to put a tracking device on someones car I think id hide it somewhere a bit less easy to find then on a tail light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom