What is this ticking noise? Waterpump, pulley, or radiator fan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like cooling fan to me, but I haven't seen this in person.

Fan should be pretty easy to track down.. There should be an even 3/4" gap or so between the ends of the fan blades and the edge of the large hole in the shroud. If the engine is sitting off to one side, or too far down so that it contacts the bottom, you can get a noise.

Or, obviously, something resting within the fan shroud.

With the engine off, spin the fan by hand and see if you can detect any rubbing. It should have fluid resistance to turning but not be solid. Won't hurt it at all to turn it. But, clearly, don't grab it while the engine is running.

Thanks so much for the thoughts! I will definitely try the spinning it manually to see if there is any noise/contact.

It does seem to be worse/better at different times. It usually seems to get better/quieter once warmed up.

What I’m hearing seems metallic, not plastic. What are the engine details…..miles, oil change intervals, year? There are some threads on here about timing chain tensioner noise and other ticking sounds. See if any of those threads have a clue for you by searching ticking.

Maybe an exhaust manifold leak on the driver’s side? Can you take a video from the hood and go by both sides of the engine? The cadence sounds like an exhaust manifold leak to me. Plea it gets louder as you get over closer to the driver’s side.

There are some threads on here about timing chain tensioner noise.
What Sandroad said. Mine makes cam chain noise. Yours sounds like this too. It’s most loud a few blocks from the house. Quiet when I leave, quiet when I get to work. Loud in between as it’s warming up. A month ago someone was cleaning out a garage and gave me a free can of SeaFoam engine treatment. Instead of throwing it away, I disposed of it by pouring it in with the engine oil a few hundred miles before a oil change. I was shocked when the cam chain noise quieted down! It’s not gone, but it’s better. I still plan on changing my cam chain tensioners sooner than later. Mine is a 2013 with 130,000 miles. Oil and filter was changed every 5k miles. The cam tensioners have been updated by Toyota at some point.

Just listened to the video again. Ignore what I said. Cam chain noise is more random. Yours is something else.

Last edited:
Only when its cold? Goes away after reving the motor a few times?

Hey did you ever get figure out the problem? My 13 is doing the same! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom