what is this thing worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

93yotasr5

Come and take it
Threads
1. M101a1...dime a dozen. Big, heavy, indestructable. Not worth 800...5, maybe 6

2. My guess M100, cant see the tongue (or lunette) to see how much is intact...may not be as "vintage" as the add suggests. Looks like there's a little more than "some rust". I doubt the tailgate is original, but I'm sure BIO or someone else can hop in here tonight. 800 seems abit steep, but I don't think it'll be around long even at that price, unless iit's a total hunk of s*** underneath.

Good luck, Pat

The first looks like one of the US M101 models at a quick glance (NOT the 1/4 ton M101 CDN like in my sig line). It's a biggun, but sounds likes a good deal considering it looks roadworthy and is licensed.

Unless you need to haul a lot of something, it's really a little on the large side for many people to use. The price is very attractive if everything works out, though, and should be ready to hit the road or trail.

The second is either an old 1/4 ton M100 or something similar. Looks kind of rough, but is she's in good shape could be the basis of a good build. You'll probably have to sink some bucks into it and give it some love, too, before you head out with it.

You'd get a whole lot more trailer for $50 more, but do you really want that much trailer?

no i want the smaller of the military trailers. what should i be looking for?

There are three basic models of 1/4 ton surplus trailers typically owned by forum members. The M100 (edit: mistated M101 originally) and M416 are the US models.

The Canadians built just less than 2,000 of what they designated the M101 CDN in 1992, which are not to be confused with the US M101, a much larger trailer. Many of these came on the market a few years back and are generally in better condition than the comparable older US models. The last M416s came off the production line in the 70s.

Also, the 1/4 ton designation is the rating for what is often referred to as cross-country operation. These trailer are designed to float when carrying 500 lbs of gear, making water crossings somewhat easier, when the drain holes are stoppered. They can be loaded with considerably more then 500 lbs and still be safely operated (within reason of course.)

There are a number of other trailers imported as surplus to the US in roughly the same class, German and Swiss trailers for instance, which are less commonly encountered.

Last edited:
BT3-C

Looks to be a post WWII Bantam civilian trailer. Lack of a hand brake, pocket for stakes in the bed, tailgate and three hooks on the side were all only on the BT3-C. Here is a picture of my 9/43 Willys MBT 1/4 ton trailer I bought last summer for half the asking price of this one. There was a M100 on CL here in the Phx, AZ area that the asking price $500 in the last couple of weeks. It had just one picture so not sure what shape it was in. Looked rust free with a few dents.

:cheers:

PS: The BT3-C with not have the front landing leg.
021.JPG

Last edited:
thats exactly what im looking for! even a bit smaller if possible.

About the only thing smaller than a 1/4 trailer is one of those motorcycle trailers -- and most of those should stay pretty close to paved roads from what I've seen.

yeah maybe id just have to see one in person to get an idea of the size. whats bigger the m101 or the m416?

military army trailer camping atv

That is a freakin' steal on a good condition, unmolested, M101 with racks, cover and good tires. They typically fetch $1200 in that condition.

They are large and heavy, but not like the brutishly large M103/M104/M105 series that need to be pulled by a Duece and a Half. The US M101 is a 3/4 ton trailer, and was designed to be pulled by the Dodge M37 4x4 or the Kaiser-Jeep M715, both military pickups. Thus, this trailer is suitable for a full size pickup. It's a bit large for trail use when compared to a jeep trailer, but can carry 1000 lbs more cargo.

If that was up here, I'd snag it.

yeah maybe id just have to see one in person to get an idea of the size. whats bigger the m101 or the m416?

If you're talking M101 CDN and the M416, they're within just a few fractions of an inch of each other in size, no real difference.

Here's a link to fairly comprehensive info on the M101 CDN:
The Jeep Expeditions Group™ - Live The Adventure - JEEPEXPEDITIONS.ORG

If you're referring to the US M101, it's considerably larger than either the M101 CDN and M416. Here's a link to specs and info on it:
M101 TRAILER, CARGO, 3/4 TON.

The US M101 is only a little longer than the 1/4 ton trailers, but is considerably wider.

BT3-C

Looks to be a post WWII Bantam civilian trailer. Lack of a hand brake, pocket for stakes in the bed, tailgate and three hooks on the side were all only on the BT3-C. Here is a picture of my 9/43 Willys MBT 1/4 ton trailer I bought last summer for half the asking price of this one. There was a M100 on CL here in the Phx, AZ area that the asking price $500 in the last couple of weeks. It had just one picture so not sure what shape it was in. Looked rust free with a few dents.

:cheers:

PS: The BT3-C with not have the front landing leg.
View attachment 496559

Old thread but the trailer in the post above is a 1943 MBT. I haven't used it in years. Have a 65 M416 and purchased a trailer made from the back of a early seventies Toyota pickup. Where is the best place to market it and what kind of value? Body need work but not a rust bucket. Linnet is bent. Figure some here would have a better idea than I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom