What is this stuff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to replace the Tees on my coolant lines. One disintegrated at 304k miles.

While in there I pulled the ventilation hoses on the valve covers to inspect. The hoses were cracked and hard as a rock. Bought new ones and a new ventilation tee. Some of the hoses and the tee has this sludge. It almost looked like what you would find in a bad radiator.

E272CD9E-F92A-4552-8CCA-943247D0DE43.jpeg
1654F019-9720-4E5C-84C2-C46DC1C747E1.jpeg
1A815E66-74D0-4BA5-AF6F-D3803E7694E2.jpeg

I know this 2011 Land Cruiser has a lot of miles on it but any concern of things I should look at? It runs like a top. There’s doesn’t seem to be any oil consumption and no coolant consumption.

It’s odd to me that ventilation hoses would have sludge as there should be nothing pumping through them.

What are ventilation hoses?

Maybe change your PCV valve?

How often do you replace your coolant? May be a combination of dried coolant, rust, or, god forbid, oil in the coolant. That would impact the T.
In the vent hoses - again, most likely a mixture of moisture and oil. More frequent PVC valve replacements may be called for.

My guess neither is a big deal. Things accumulate over high mileages.

Last edited:
If that is from a hose that vents from the crank case, it would not be uncommon to see some small amount yellow gel, which is essentially an oil/water emulsion from a small amount of airborne moisture condensing and mixing with oil mist. This is common on vehicles driven mostly on short trips. You may also see some inside the oil cap. A new PCV valve and some longer drives may dry it out, but it's not indicative of a problem. If that is in your heater tees, you may have a bigger problem.

If that is from a hose that vents from the crank case, it would not be uncommon to see some small amount yellow gel, which is essentially an oil/water emulsion from a small amount of airborne moisture condensing and mixing with oil mist. This is common on vehicles driven mostly on short trips. You may also see some inside the oil cap. A new PCV valve and some longer drives may dry it out, but it's not indicative of a problem. If that is in your heater tees, you may have a bigger problem.
Awesome thanks. Yes, crank case hoses. The hoses from on top of the valve covers. If this was from my radiator, I would be very concerned.
How often do you replace your coolant? May be a combination of dried coolant, rust, or, god forbid, oil in the coolant. That would impact the T.
In the vent hoses - again, most likely a mixture of moisture and oil. More frequent PVC valve replacements may be called for.

My guess neither is a big deal. Things accumulate over high mileages.
That’s what I was thinking, nothing to worry about but thought I’d ask. Coolant is changed regularly but these hoses are from the valve covers.

They are on top of the valve covers. The connect the two sides to each other and then to the air intake.
Thanks! I looked it up and see what you are talking about now. I'd never looked up that assembly before. Thanks for explaining, I appreciate it.

Yep nothing to worry about overall. It typically eventually burns off with longer drives.

Some people use catch cans for this reason - will get filled with this condensation and oil vapor mix and collect in there (though I am sure the crankcase vent tubes all still hold some)

All internal combustion engines make some really nasty byproducts of combustion and inevitably some of these will make it into the crank case. Some of those get burned off, some stay as deposits. These hoses provide the avenue to burn things off, so it makes sense that over time you’ll get condensation due to the temp differential, leaving deposits, and degrading the parts.

Keep in mind you’ve gone three times as far as many people consider “high mileage” on a vehicle. And it still drives great!

Whoever suggested a PCV valve is right. Cheap, easy to install insurance.

Also the above picture is why I stick to 5k oil changes vs the 10k in the manual or even split the difference at 7500. The less byproducts build up in the oil and need to be heated up and burned off, the less will remain as deposits, and hopefully the crank case will stay nice and clean, free from varnish and other junk. At least that’s what I hope.

All internal combustion engines make some really nasty byproducts of combustion and inevitably some of these will make it into the crank case. Some of those get burned off, some stay as deposits. These hoses provide the avenue to burn things off, so it makes sense that over time you’ll get condensation due to the temp differential, leaving deposits, and degrading the parts.

Keep in mind you’ve gone three times as far as many people consider “high mileage” on a vehicle. And it still drives great!

Whoever suggested a PCV valve is right. Cheap, easy to install insurance.

Also the above picture is why I stick to 5k oil changes vs the 10k in the manual or even split the difference at 7500. The less byproducts build up in the oil and need to be heated up and burned off, the less will remain as deposits, and hopefully the crank case will stay nice and clean, free from varnish and other junk. At least that’s what I hope.

Awesome advice, Thank you!

I have not done the PCV valve and will do that.

I think I will back off the higher oil interval changes as well. I have been doing about 12k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom