What is the tallest tire I can fit in the spare location on my 2022 GX460? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.copanomediagroup.com
I currently run 265/65/18s on my 2022GX 460 and am looking to remove my victory 4x4 tire carrier and return to running the spare underneath my vehicle. While I know that a 265/65/18 will fit, what tallest tire size can I go to? 70... 75... 80...?

Also, I don't have the hitch down there, but I do have the victory rear bumper, which you can see in the photo.

IMG_1491.jpeg

It is on here somewhere. I would do a search.

Why do you want to do this though?

Also, the search is quite atrocious.
Yeah, for sure. Googling something and tacking ih8mud on the end is usually the only way I can find stuff on the forum. I'm not sure I've seen anything out there regarding max size with the victory bumper installed.

There is a lot out there for spare size with the OEM bumper and various hitch receivers, but I haven't seen anything on aftermarket bumpers and using the OE tub. I think most people with steel bumpers use their swingout(s).

With the OE bumper and no hitch, I think 32.5 inch is about the limit of what will fit. I have 265/70/17s which should be 31.5 but mine are more like 31.9 and they absolutely don't fit under there with the OE class IV hitch. They would probably squeeze in with a small class III hitch but it would be tight. KDSS spacers can make a little more room to swing the tire up past the sway bar.

You'll most likely have to climb under there are do some measuring. My assumption is the steel bumper eats up some space in the spare tub but I have no idea if that is true.

The limit is somewhere around 31.6" tire diameter with the factory large hitch. It can vary a bit due to production tolerances. You need to look up the mounted diameter of the tire you want to run. Actual tire size for a given nominal size varies depending on manufacturer and model. This is why Tire Rack (usually) lists the mounted diameter.

The small hitch has a little more clearance than the factory large hitch. The Victory bumper/hitch? Who knows?

I have 265/70/17 Wildpeaks and the OEM hitch. I was able to squeeze it in but it took a lot to wrestle it out even after deflating. I saw that the tire was rubbing up against two little tabs that formed part of the bolt holes for the hitch. I ground them down a bit with an angle grinder. It still takes a little wiggle to drop, but that's it.

The lift/crank thing for the spare tire also wants to center and pull the wheel/tire forward, so ultimately it tries to end up moving into the swaybar. Maybe you could find a way to keep it pulled back while you pull up, which may buy more room.

My 265/70R17 Falkens fit under there (just barely) but they fit. They are a P rated tire which means less tread depth and less overall height.

I have not tried it yet but supposedly loosening the bolts for the hitch may let you move it back a few mm. I got 265/70R17 Rubitreks mounted on Method 316s today and I'll be fitting them soon. I may need to try all the spare fitment tricks myself.

When you're close to the limit, wheel width may make a difference. I can't find any documentation but I think that a narrow rim like 7" TRDs would result in a tire that's got a slightly larger mounted diameter and a more rounded shape to the tread than a rim on the wider end of the allowable range (7-9" for 265/70R17 for the tires I was shopping).

I have not tried it yet but supposedly loosening the bolts for the hitch may let you move it back a few mm. I got 265/70R17 Rubitreks mounted on Method 316s today and I'll be fitting them soon. I may need to try all the spare fitment tricks myself.

When you're close to the limit, wheel width may make a difference. I can't find any documentation but I think that a narrow rim like 7" TRDs would result in a tire that's got a slightly larger mounted diameter and a more rounded shape to the tread than a rim on the wider end of the allowable range (7-9" for 265/70R17 for the tires I was shopping).
If your truck is like mine, that combo will fit. I had that exact combo and it was snug. What color is your GX and wheels?

My GX is dark gray and the wheels are the same. The wheel color almost matches. Since the wheels are not right next to the body it looks pretty much the same color. It looks good (to me). The other option for the 316s was flat black and while I have put black wheels on a couple cars I wanted something different here.

I could not get the spare to fit. It's not even close. Is there a trick to getting it in? I tried both the front and back first and neither worked. I just ordered KDSS spacers so I can lower the sway bar for clearance (though I have a concern about how far the KDSS cylinder lets the sway bar move up and down). I'm on stock suspension but plan a mild lift eventually.

I don't plan to tow with the GX so I can remove the hitch which should help a little.

My GX is dark gray and the wheels are the same. The wheel color almost matches. Since the wheels are not right next to the body it looks pretty much the same color. It looks good (to me). The other option for the 316s was flat black and while I have put black wheels on a couple cars I wanted something different here.

I could not get the spare to fit. It's not even close. Is there a trick to getting it in? I tried both the front and back first and neither worked. I just ordered KDSS spacers so I can lower the sway bar for clearance (though I have a concern about how far the KDSS cylinder lets the sway bar move up and down). I'm on stock suspension but plan a mild lift eventually.

I don't plan to tow with the GX so I can remove the hitch which should help a little.

Hopefully moving the hitch will help - I guess it just depends on the individual build of the truck that determines whether or not it will fit. I had to kick mine a few times to get it past the plates on the hitch, but once it was in there it stayed.

It's a little hard to tell, but the spare is up there in this picture, fully inflated.

6hKlIZf.jpg

Just pray you'll never have to retrieve it from under there!
I can imagine just how hard it would be to pry that thing out from under there, all the while laying on your back (hopefully in good weather) in the most awkward of positions.

Hopefully moving the hitch will help - I guess it just depends on the individual build of the truck that determines whether or not it will fit. I had to kick mine a few times to get it past the plates on the hitch, but once it was in there it stayed.

It's a little hard to tell, but the spare is up there in this picture, fully inflated.

Are you on stock suspension or lifted? Looks stock from here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom