What is in this coolant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NMBound

SILVER Star
Threads
I replaced the leaking water pump on my Scion (2ZR-FE) and did a flush with distilled water until it ran clear before filling it up with Toyota pink long life from the dealership. The stuff is expensive, so I used 2 bottles that were already open but had been capped (bottles I had used to top off the two 4runner reservoirs).

None of this floaty stuff came out with the flushes and I didn't see any of it in the original fluid. I still have the old fluid to look at. It looks like fibers. I've never seen this before. The previous owner ran green coolant in this car before me. My only guess is that somehow perhaps remnants of the green coolant mixed with the Toyota pink...and what...precipitated this crap?

What the heck is in my coolant?

Edit - I did sop it up with a paper towel on the surface and it appeared to come back. I may drive the car for a while and check it again. Open to suggestions though.

VideoCapture_20221231-152103.jpg

VideoCapture_20221231-152111.jpg

VideoCapture_20221231-152118.jpg

I wonder if it could be some kind of stop leak used by a previous owner.

I wonder if it could be some kind of stop leak used by a previous owner.

It can't be, because it comes like this straight out of the Toyota bottle. My only guess is that the coolant is oxidized and expired.

It can't be, because it comes like this straight out of the Toyota bottle. My only guess is that the coolant is oxidized and expired.

Ugh. Something is up at Toyota. Got bad AHC fluid from the Lexus dealer and it screwed up my AHC system. Had to swap it out to a regular spring/shock setup.

Was wondering what that pump came out of. The cavity didn't have the same phallic vibes as the VZ and UZ water pumps.

PXL_20230101_183922000.MP.jpg

Ugh. Something is up at Toyota. Got bad AHC fluid from the Lexus dealer and it screwed up my AHC system. Had to swap it out to a regular spring/shock setup.

Was wondering what that pump came out of. The cavity didn't have the same phallic vibes as the VZ and UZ water pumps.

View attachment 3207229

Well I'm not going to lie Virgil, that pump looks downright awful. Mine didn't do this!

Edit - my pump came out of the 2ZR engine that they put in the mid-late 2000s Corolla, Yaris, and the Scion xD (yaris clone).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom