What good is a BBQ BOY without a PIG? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Found this 77' PIG in Colorado Springs, CO. It wasn't up for sale for long before I, and a few others, were beating down the door of this Mud member. It was in storage for about 25 years and it has MINIMAL rust and what rust there is, is negligible. If you see rust, it's surface rust and is rock hard. The areas that are seriously prone to rust, doesn't have any. Only one spot on the rear passenger door has bonding agent. The bottom of the doors are even solid, the roof has zero rust, the gutters have some surface rust and typical rusting areas but VERY minimal.
So, after learning all of this, I decided to take a father-son trip at a moments notice and we flew out to Denver. He has never flown before and was super excited when I woke him up at 4:30 am. Confused as to what was going on, but stoked. We are in the Chicago airport now for our last connection to Charleston and he's worn out. It's been a QUICK TRIP.
We arrived in CO, took it for a pre-purchase inspection, drove it and bought it this morning. Mechanically, the truck needs work. The compression worries me. Two at 90, two at 105 and two at 110. With compression that low it should have a hard time getting out of the way from itself. So I think there is a valve adjustment issue because the truck runs really strong. Redline Cruisers worked on the truck and he was surprised at the compression numbers. I am going to have Glenn take a look at it though. I may have to rebuild the 2F. I am wanting to restore this truck later, so it's important to me to keep the engine original and rebuild it instead of replacing it.
Rear main seal leaks, rear diff has a leak, has a driver side lean, idle arm is toast and head gasket seems to have a slight oil drip, MAYBE. We suspect the 47k reading in the odometer is correct and not 145k. It could be 145k but with the condition of the truck and all the tell tell signs of the engine bay clips all being in place and not broken, we THINK it has 47k original miles. It even has the same Toyo tires when it came out of storage. Also, someone at some point have it a crappy Maaco type paint job but that had to have happened 30+ years ago.
I didn't buy the truck for its mechanical perfections because it has been sitting up for many years. I bought it for the potential for restoration. If anyone knows about PIGs, they have become very rare, especially one that isn't a rust bucket. I will post more pictures later when it gets here on Friday. So, help me name her. I may put a custom plate on her too.

His first sunrise

View from our hotel room

Last edited:
Awesome trip! I did the 430AM also, but with my wife, when we did a round trip to Chatanooga to get Elsie. Grerat memories to share with your boy!

What a great looking pig!
But mostly love to see the big ear to ear smile on your son!
Those kind of trips are pricless.
Something he will remember always.

Paint it white and call it Maurice

I have a 2 f engine that can be for sale

I wonder if an oil change with different oil and valve job will improve your compression.

We used to own land in Rand Colorado, the pic of the cruiser kinda reminds me of that area. We backed up to Rocky Mountain national park. CO springs is about 4 hrs from us.

Did you go up Pikes Peak

Ouch, Sherman!!!! What is the story on your 2F? We only went to Colorado Springs and Monument area. We didn't have time for anything else.

Dear God, I just got the Maurice joke!!! LMAO!!!!

It has reduced the temp, but I am still getting different reading with the laser gun. It reads 200 at the thermostat housing, 190 to the hose going into the radiator, 200 at the radiator but that temp is inconsistent with he laser and then the temp drops to 160-170 at the hose that returns into the motor.

It has reduced the temp, but I am still getting different reading with the laser gun. It reads 200 at the thermostat housing, 190 to the hose going into the radiator, 200 at the radiator but that temp is inconsistent with he laser and then the temp drops to 160-170 at the hose that returns into the motor.

At least the radiator is working

The stuff I sent you in email shows normal temp around 190*....so sounds like it is warm coming in and lower going back. Sounds like bad gauge or bad sending unit...or using the wrong sending unit since there is one for gauge and another for the smog stuff....

I thought about replacing the sending unit.

I replaced the master clutch and slave cylinder yesterday afternoon. Was successful at bleeding it as well, but need to adjust the slave cylinder. Easy peazey lemon squeeze.

No. I have no idea where the sending unit is. Thats 2-3 hours more research to figure that out. I need to replace to fuel sending unit too since the fuel gauge isn't working.

I have to replace the clutch slave and master cylinder on the blue LC soon. Won't be doing a Hamon, I will just go to Bessinger's house and get help from the new hot wrench in the club.

We could have it done in 45 minutes.

Don't forget there are two different thermostats for your truck. A 170, 180 and a 190 thermostats. That will probably throw your numbers off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom