What do you know about the PZJ-73, TLC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'Day Fella's,

From what I know and have seen of these, they are apparently very rare.
They apparently made them, for one or two years, in the early 1990's?
They had a 5 cylinder, turbo charged diesel engine, of 3.5 liter capacity (3470 cc), in a Mid Wheel Base (BJ73/BJ74 type), body configuration.

Here's a link I found about these TLC's.
https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/res...&eapi=2&Silo=spec&csn_tnet=true&spotid=278877

Looking forward to hearing what you blokes know about them.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Last edited:
@joekatana is a good source of information for that specific engine iteration.

The remainder of the truck will be your standard SWB/MWB 7x series fate during the early to mid 1990’s depending on trim specifications.

OEM Parts support is good as is the aftermarket.

For all intents and purposes, the engine is a 1HZ 4.2L with a cylinder (and corresponding displacement) lopped off.

Usually mated to an R150F/R151F 5-speed similar to the ones found in turbo 4Runners in the late 1980’s for the US market.

G'Day Fella's,

From what I know and have seen of these, they are apparently very rare.
They apparently made them, for one or two years, in the early 1990's?
They had a 5 cylinder, turbo charged diesel engine, of 3.5 liter capacity (3470 cc), in a Mid Wheel Base (BJ73/BJ74 type), body configuration.

Here's a link I found about these TLC's.
https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/res...&eapi=2&Silo=spec&csn_tnet=true&spotid=278877

Looking forward to hearing what you blokes know about them.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Hi Homer

Yes the PZJ is a bit of an odball but it is basically just a 1HZ that is missing a cylinder, they are natural aspirated and if someone is selling you a turbo diesel 5 cylinder Land Cruiser make sure it does not have one of the horrible VM engines in it.

Pz’s however are not rare or particularly sought after, there just aren’t many around because Toyota dropped the engine option and as far as I know it was only used in the lc line, great engine but I prefer the 1HZ anyways.

Will a 1HZ bolt right in if you take the 1PZ out? Not exactly talking about the transmission/transfer section but I was assuming the motor mounts are the same type and also welded in the same position.

Will a 1HZ bolt right in if you take the 1PZ out?

IM reasonably sure it is not a straight swap. The 1PZ sits further forward from memory. I seem to recall it had the smaller 8 in diffs like the Bundeera or LJ/RJ7*

They had a 5 cylinder, turbo charged diesel engine

They were not Turbo charged from the factory.
I have seen a few PZJ70/73 in Australia, but they are not common here. Basically they were a replacement for the BJ73.

A mechanic told me he had borrowed one from someone when he was in Darwin that was an automatic, that would be an oddball.

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for your responses and that information, its always interesting.

I don't own one but I remember being told about them, lets say, about 1 year after I bought my Battle Cruiser (BJ73, in 1990), so in maybe 1991?
I thought the 5 cylinder engine was turbo'ed but obviously not, and in their naturally aspirated state, they put out about the HP as a 3B engine.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Will a 1HZ bolt right in if you take the 1PZ out? Not exactly talking about the transmission/transfer section but I was assuming the motor mounts are the same type and also welded in the same position.

Not a direct bolt in I think because of the shorter length Toyota moved the engine further forward and I believe the 1PZ has a longer belhousing then the 1HZ with the R151 transmission,I could be wrong about this though?

Not a direct bolt in.

The LH engine mount is different for the 1HZ vs the 1PZ. Also if you keep the R151 it has to be moved back in order to use the RH engine mount, so it is easier to just make new engine mounts on both sides.

The R151 bell housing length for the 1HZ is actually the same as the 1PZ. Which is good because the input shaft is the same between the two as well.

I've had my PZ77 for 12 years now, and it's served me well. Turning 37" tires and I turboed it about 8 years ago. I also have HZ and 1HDT trucks as well so I can compare directly day in and day out.
My future plans with this truck are to put in the fresh 1HD-T that I've built for it, but now I'm a bit of a lunatic, so I'm working on securing a 1VD-FTV and going that route.

Fyi, my truck has a 8"HP front and 9.5" rear factory. The PZ loves the turbo and has been perfectly fine for towing up mountains, wheeling, etc. I welded up the dual mass flywheels long time back and it has a 3B clutch (to get the springs back in the disc).

so I'm working on securing a 1VD-FTV and going that route.

It wont fit into a narrow body 7* . Even if it did you would be facing a myriad of electronic headaches.
IMO , the 7* series reached its zenith with the 1HD FTE.

Going to swap out the fender inners to the 79 series style. The 77 is wider both in frame rails and engine bay than the 78 series.

Either way, I'm not going to be deterred by some cutting and custom. It's what we do everyday anyhow. Electronic headaches are my forte, as in my pic here I'm the idiot that put an Audi Engine in a a FJ40....

To my knowledge, the V8 models have a completely different chassis that is 100mm wider in the engine bay. How much wider is the 77 than a 78 series? Is that the 78 series troopy you are comparing it to?
Because the 78 series chassis was carried over from the 75 series and only modified to take coil suspension in the front.
What purpose would the 77 chassis have being wider considering it uses the same engines as the 75, 78, 79 series?
I have always believed the chassis' were all the same width, varying only in length until the V8 was introduced.

I'm referring the the LJ78 Prado series that was Japan only. Just like the HZ/ PZ 77 series that was also Japan only. I've got both in my stable. The 78 is quite a bit narrower at the front thus the square headlights.

The 77 series uses a heavy duty frame much like the 74 series does; also having leaf spring front and rear. It's likely similar width to the 81 series, but I've not checked. I've read about guys swapping them from the 200 series into 80 with only minor frame mods required and a relocate of the oil filter. I'm assuming/ presuming that the 77 frame, which accepts the HZ /HDT series like the 80s do can also accept the 1VD with these same mods.

Either way, I'll do a build thread.

I'm assuming/ presuming that the 77 frame, which accepts the HZ /HDT series like the 80s do can also accept the 1VD with these same mods.

According to Toyota the only way they could get the V8 into a 7* series was by making the chassis rails a 100mm wider which necessitates the need for the wider front axle housing. Ive heard of the v8 being fitted to the 105 series. The 80 series does have a wider chassis than the 70 and so does the 6*.
Your HZJ77 is the same as all the other HD 7* series in this respect. I know of no one in Australia who has fitted the V8 into a narrow body 7* series and many have looked at it. I guess you could do it with a frame and axle swap plus the fenders, but it all gets bigger than Ben Hur.

The LJ78 has the same chassis width as all the other light duty models sold all over the world in fact I think its the same as the HD models. It is not unique to Japan in this regard. The problem with the Toyota v8 is its width and how it fits in between the chassis rails. Its a very flattish V . If you lift it up , it would be sticking though the bonnet requiring a huge scoop

According to Toyota the only way they could get the V8 into a 7* series was by making the chassis rails a 100mm wider which necessitates the need for the wider front axle housing. Ive heard of the v8 being fitted to the 105 series. The 80 series does have a wider chassis than the 70 and so does the 6*.
Your HZJ77 is the same as all the other HD 7* series in this respect. I know of no one in Australia who has fitted the V8 into a narrow body 7* series and many have looked at it. I guess you could do it with a frame and axle swap plus the fenders, but it all gets bigger than Ben Hur.

The LJ78 has the same chassis width as all the other light duty models sold all over the world in fact I think its the same as the HD models. It is not unique to Japan in this regard. The problem with the Toyota v8 is its width and how it fits in between the chassis rails. Its a very flattish V . If you lift it up , it would be sticking though the bonnet requiring a huge scoop

its been done here, see it myself. 75 series with a VD in it, and keeping the same wedge shape fenders. but it had a ton of work done, including some modding to chassis itself. the guy cut out indentations into the chassis where there were clearance issues, then gussetted and boxed the living daylights out of the chassis around it. ton of work, lots of in and out and corrections.

and yes, your right, he still has to have quite a large scoop to house it.

on another note, a good friend of mine runs a business here where they buy 79's that have been accident damaged, pull the 1HZ's out and drop the VD in, make like new and sell the whole bang shoot for 55 grand USD. man did i make the wrong career choice when i was 17

the guy cut out indentations into the chassis where there were clearance issues, then gussetted and boxed the living daylights out of the chassis around it. ton of work, lots of in and out and corrections.

and yes, your right, he still has to have quite a large scoop to house it.

I suspected as much. Kind of ruins the strength of the 7* series chassis. We wouldn't be allowed to have them on the road sticking up so high.
It seems to be more about massaging peoples egos than setting up a good engine swap. The V8 is only 4.5 litres vs the 6 cyl at 4.2 litre.
You could fit a 1HD FT and have as much power with some adjustments. And no cutting or panel beating.

I suspected as much. Kind of ruins the strength of the 7* series chassis. We wouldn't be allowed to have them on the road sticking up so high.
It seems to be more about massaging peoples egos than setting up a good engine swap. The V8 is only 4.5 litres vs the 6 cyl at 4.2 litre.
You could fit a 1HD FT and have as much power with some adjustments. And no cutting or panel beating.

agreed. i will say this though, it was done by a pro, to pro standards. yes, it was more of an exercise, but he did one hell of a job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom