What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (55 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lubricated throttle linkage which was causing the car to idle to high.
The cable needed to be manually pushed back to close due to friction and lack of lubrication.
This along with cleaning the idle control valve got the engine idling 700-800 RPM instead of the 1200 RPM when gear is on P.

Should help fuel consumption, it was ridiculously high (yah i need to fix the cluster gauge KM is not counting properly)

Drove it across the country to eat a hot dog

IMGP7966.jpg

20221029_161624.jpg

20221029_162521.jpg

You are killing yourself thinking you need different bumpers, swing-out, etc. You really don't and if you do think you need them it should be after you've done some exploring with a slight lift (2" dobinsons is really nice, easy, quick and no other mods needed) and with 285s. That's what I have and have been to tons of great places. Before the bumpers and stuff I would get rock sliders. Save your money for land and/or a house.
Noted, thanks :)

I hear dobinson's are good.

Ran the Lockwood Creek trail to the Miller Jeep Trail with the So Cal TLCA guys. My second time out with the LX450, and it did great. Had a blast. But it was not without some carnage - albeit not the kind that ends your day.

This trail is pretty much just a tight, steep, rutted-out and sometimes rocky fire road to the top of a mountain. There are two true obstacles right at the top, which are not that hard to get through with some good spotting. I was able to clear them both without drama. But once I made it past the final obstacle, I stopped paying attention for just a second, and plowed right into a chunky rock sitting in the middle of the trail. It hit my right radius arm on the underside and put a nice gouge on it. It was a pretty sold hit, it basically stopped me cold in my tracks. I didn't really notice it at the time, but I bet the impact popped my right shock off at the axle mount. Once we started heading down the hill on that fire road, I did notice a tendency to nose dive on hard left turns and the few bumpy sections did cause some pretty nice clunks to occur. But I made it home without noticing what happened. It was only today when I went under the rig for a look-see and to check some bolts that I saw what had happened.

I'm still pretty new to Cruisers and offroad mechanical work in general. So I could use some advice on how to proceed to fix this. The threads on the shock shaft are pretty buggered-up. Should I attempt to remount the shock as-is, or is this a remove and replace kind of thing?
Replace the shocks....I have done Miller Jeep trails a handful of times over the course of 4-5 yrs with 33s and 35s and 37s, none of those require any lockers and 35s will make easy work on that trail.

PXL_20221029_200147726.MP.jpg
PXL_20221029_193525149.MP.jpg
PXL_20221027_195018620.MP.jpg
PXL_20221101_150356130.MP.jpg

Fixed my CDL. It was the bulb. I figured it out after I replaced both the 4l and CDL sensor. The light would occasionally flicker so I assumed that meant it was a sensor sticking and therefore skipped the paper clip test, which would have saved me. Good news I used the cheaper napa replacement and now I have 2 spares. Plus I finally got to use the dash bulbs I ordered a couple years ago. Didn't have enough to replace them all but I got most of them.

Also
I changed my transfer case gear oil.

Good advice. I only wish I would have seen it before because this exact thing happened. I didn't get good coverage on the base at all so it's splotchy but not terrible. I saw a good opportunity to practice with the clear so I went ahead with that. The clear came out great (Spraymax 2K). I'll block it down and do again one of these days but for now it's much better than it was.View attachment 3155494

View attachment 3155495

Hey how do you like those solis arbs? Did you go with spots, floods or one of each?

Flushed the tranny and replaced the strainer 1st time since ownership.
How often do you guys change out the tranny fluid?

Hey how do you like those solis arbs? Did you go with spots, floods or one of each?

Overall, I really like them especially with the amber filters. I went with both spots. If I had to do over again, I probably would have one of each. My biggest complaint is the dimming feature prevents you from easily being able to wire into my existing switch panel. I really don't want to have to use the provided ARB Switch. I'm sure there's a way around it but I haven't spent time on it.

Overall, I really like them especially with the amber filters. I went with both spots. If I had to do over again, I probably would have one of each. My biggest complaint is the dimming feature prevents you from easily being able to wire into my existing switch panel. I really don't want to have to use the provided ARB Switch. I'm sure there's a way around it but I haven't spent time on it.
Oh I didn't realize it had a dimmer. I really wanted to use a Toyota switch. Might have to reconsider

Oh I didn't realize it had a dimmer. I really wanted to use a Toyota switch. Might have to reconsider

Yea the wiring loom they sell not only has a dimmer but it wants you to plug into the high beams so the Solis lights come on with the high beams. I didn't want that so I was able to bypass it but still have to use the dimmer switch provided. I may try direct wiring them into my switch panel one day and see what happens.

View attachment 3156443View attachment 3156444View attachment 3156446View attachment 3156447

Fixed my CDL. It was the bulb. I figured it out after I replaced both the 4l and CDL sensor. The light would occasionally flicker so I assumed that meant it was a sensor sticking and therefore skipped the paper clip test, which would have saved me. Good news I used the cheaper napa replacement and now I have 2 spares. Plus I finally got to use the dash bulbs I ordered a couple years ago. Didn't have enough to replace them all but I got most of them.

Also
I changed my transfer case gear oil.
Where did you find the dash bulbs? I’ve a few to replace in the dash and ac control.

Where did you find the dash bulbs? I’ve a few to replace in the dash and ac control.
most are standard 74 or 168 "peanut" bulbs, iirc. i bought a box of bulk bulbs, and pulled and replaced the old ones from their housings. or you can buy the full base+bulb from toyota. search for a thread on there that has the bulb sizes

edit: got my numbers backwards. 74 are the tiny peanut bulbs for most of the cluster indicators. 168 for the big backlights. also used 74 in the trans PRNDL2 housing, ashtray, glovebox, etc.

Last edited:
I wanted to add a winch to the front of mine but not thrilled with replacing a perfectly good ARB non winch bumper to do so. Thanks to @GGM for the mount plate so I could tuck this up in there! All in for the plate, Smittybilt X2O Gen3 12k winch, and some accessories is about $1100.00, which is cheaper than just the bumper replacement alone. Clearance is the same as it was with the unmodified ARB, so all good there!

Big hole to fill...just needed to cut out the "window" on the bottom of the ARB...

And still have easy access to the clutch...would have been nice to clock forward, but wouldn't fit without further mods since this winch only does 90 degree options. I'll go ahead and mount the control box on top of the bumper for easiest access...I don't want to have to open the hood to use the winch if needed.

I have some extended cables coming for the power leads to the head and just need to paint the plate, wire up, and all good!
Looks like your solution worked out great! I had a non-winch ARB bumper on my truck for a while too and my winch location was actually on top of the frame rails (rather that underneath like yours). That let the winch line come directly out the front of the face of the bumper. But......the lower part of my bumper was modified extensively for better clearance.
IMG_8399 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom