What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (81 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have speaker and amp part numbers?

My Tacoma has a Rockford bass box, it's great, I'm going to measure and see if it'll fit in the back corner panel under the plastic molding. I've seen a few post to guys sneaking a subwoofer box back there.
You can get an 8" shallow mount sub in the back corner of an 80 series...it's good also to look at the WHOLE HOG bracket for amp setting, if you don't know about it.

I'd imagine with your expertise and 3D printing you might be able to print a mirror trim cover that can accommodate a tweeter. ;)
IMG_20210803_072407_028.jpg

The mounts I have just looking for the easy button on a tweater to use, with out the cross overs and stuff.

I wanted to add a winch to the front of mine but not thrilled with replacing a perfectly good ARB non winch bumper to do so. Thanks to @GGM for the mount plate so I could tuck this up in there! All in for the plate, Smittybilt X2O Gen3 12k winch, and some accessories is about $1100.00, which is cheaper than just the bumper replacement alone. Clearance is the same as it was with the unmodified ARB, so all good there!

Big hole to fill...just needed to cut out the "window" on the bottom of the ARB...

And still have easy access to the clutch...would have been nice to clock forward, but wouldn't fit without further mods since this winch only does 90 degree options. I'll go ahead and mount the control box on top of the bumper for easiest access...I don't want to have to open the hood to use the winch if needed.

I have some extended cables coming for the power leads to the head and just need to paint the plate, wire up, and all good!

After having some experience installing aftermarket speakers in a few LC's over the years, it really depends on what you're hoping to accomplish when you decide to upgrade your audio. Do you just want to replace some crackling worn-out speakers? Do you want more volume? Do you want more bass? What type of head-unit are you going to run? (in some cases, it may be all you need)

For example, I'm upgrading all the speakers in my '94 LC because I want good sound quality and I like to feel the music with some added bass. You can see in the photo how much of a difference in size there is from the factory to the after-market; with a simple speaker upgrade, most people would be happy. The speakers in the photos are the rear door speakers.

If you take the time to add some sound deadener, you'll enhance the sound in your rig just by canceling out background noise and concentrating the sound movement within the door. This is probably the easiest and most beneficial upgrade you can do with an audio upgrade. And....don't forget to put up weather/moisture barrier if you do....

Pulling a 2-strand speaker wire into the doors isn't hard, just time-consuming. Just make sure that's what you really need to do before you start getting into it. It can change an installation from a few hours to several hours or even longer depending on how you want the results to look. When you do that, you need to consider the location of the amp you want to run. You don't want to splice wire any more than absolutely necessary.

View attachment 3144705

View attachment 3144706

View attachment 3144707

View attachment 3144708

View attachment 3144709
Nicely done. Replacing the original stereo and speakers was one of the best things I've done since I acquired my Cruiser. Removed the factory head unit, speakers and amp. Put in a Kenwood touchscreen unit with CarPlay. 6" Pioneers in the front and back doors (some trimming required in back). 6x9s mounted in boxes in the back. 100 watt amp on the front and rear speakers. Sprayed Spectrum sound deadener in the doors and put melamine foam behind the speakers. Sounds amazing.

I went with the kicker rock sliders from Rocky Road. I've heard some mixed reviews but everything I've seen for people with a 91-92 has been good so I went for it.
Have you installed yet?

Went to visit 80 today, all primed after a little repair no real body damage or rust but many layers apon layers of paint that had to be removed, ready to start blocking out. Maybe have it back in a month....... It's good to have dreams :)
20221020_082134.jpg
20221020_082112(1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom