What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (67 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doesnt need to come off but needs to be off the ground. 5X in how many miles?
40K. Adjustment #5 included finally accepting the just torque it to 25 ft lbs. Method. I'll go for 28 this time.

Quick nut check prior to 500 mile trip to Turf & Surf. Probably should have started last week on preparation but oh well. Ever so slight wheel bearing wiggle on passenger side...should be ok for the journey. View attachment 1826692

I'm new to working on rigs but I try to pay attention. I noticed that there is no line of where the lube should be on your birfs. It might be there but I think you're low on lube? Again, I'm not an expert, but while you're checking the lube in the birfs I might also check the differential fluid in both pumpkins; and to be more of a pain in the arse, I would also lube the U-joints while you're there.

Zona

I'm new to working on rigs but I try to pay attention. I noticed that there is no line of where the lube should be on your birfs. It might be there but I think you're low on lube? Again, I'm not an expert, but while you're checking the lube in the birfs I might also check the differential fluid in both pumpkins; and to be more of a pain in the arse, I would also lube the U-joints while you're there.

Zona

Totally agree, @ewillis your ball looks a little dry at least on the front side. Doesn’t hurt to check the grease level in the knuckles.

If your con washers are in good shape then you don’t need to take the tire off. Just hammer the studs with a brass drift and they should pop off.

They are marketing numbers I'm sure. Those would be crank numbers at any rate.

At what rpm do these numbers appear on your graph? Could you post up the dyno run results?

As noted in my previous post these numbers are Safari published numbers not mine, believe what you want. Having owned SC 80 and several 100 series this without question smokes them all. I would compare closest to a 100 series ( 2006-2007) with a VVTI. The seat of the pants feel its all there. I have some acceleration video Ill post when I have time.

Basically the same published numbers as a SC. The difference between the two is day & night.

From LCool

1FZ-FE
Now this is an impressive kit! With turbocharger and intercooler, a reliable 240KW of power and 540NM of torque makes the 80 feel 1,000kg lighter with around 7 sec 0-100kph acceleration (6.7 sec claimed) and nearly 2 seconds faster than the newly introduced 100 Series V8. The figures however don't do justice to just how driveable the car is. After spending some time in an automatic version on road and off highway at our club property, it's a kit that works very well indeed. You can trickle over technical stuff and accelerate smoothly without any nasty hit as the turbo comes in. It's also one our US members who have to endure anemic performance at high altitudes would appreciate.
The kit is quite comprehensive and as a consequence fairly expensive, however the quality of components and workmanship of this Safari kit is very impressive indeed.

An additional injection management unit is used to meter the amount of fuel injected via a dedicated injector in the inlet tract. The factory ECU and injectors are left untouched. A problem common with turbocharged gasoline engines is pinging or detonation. Whilst this kit does a good job of keeping detonation to a minimum it can occur when using regular unleaded. As a safeguard, the factory knock sensors are retained to retard the ignition timing if 6 successive detonations are monitored.

There aren't a great number of these on the road in Australia and only one in our group. There is however a great deal of interest and we're waiting for more of us to take the plunge.

Last edited:
Totally agree, @ewillis your ball looks a little dry at least on the front side. Doesn’t hurt to check the grease level in the knuckles.

If your con washers are in good shape then you don’t need to take the tire off. Just hammer the studs with a brass drift and they should pop off.

I would think with a grease line to the axle his birfs have plenty of grease?

upload_2018-11-8_8-2-46.png

An electric impact is in my future...very very slight movement can be felt with tire on the ground when I rock it hard (insert joke here)! I've adjust the preload at least 5 times since I've owned the truck. Didn't realize the tires don't need to come off?

@ewillis - I highly recommend the Kobalt 24V Brushless impacts. I picked up the full set earlier this year and can't imagine working on the truck without them. 3/8" drive most useful, but the 1/2" also comes in handy for wheel lugs and when I did the bumpers.

I finally settled on 32 ft lbs for pre-tq on the inside and I think the factory spec is 47 ft lbs on the outer nut.

As noted in my previous post these numbers are Safari published numbers not mine, believe what you want. Having owned SC 80 and several 100 series this without question smokes them all. I would compare closest to a 100 series ( 2006-2007) with a VVTI. The seat of the pants feel its all there. I have some acceleration video Ill post when I have time.

Basically the same published numbers as a SC. The difference between the two is day & night.

I second this observation. My supercharged 80 is on 35s with 4.88s and it is methanol-injected. I recently drove a turbocharged 80 (a custom, not a Safari) on 35s with stock 4.10 gears. It was a lot faster and felt like a good-running stock 100 without all the excess baggage piled on it.

Big difference indeed.

From LCool

1FZ-FE
Now this is an impressive kit! With turbocharger and intercooler, a reliable 240KW of power and 540NM of torque makes the 80 feel 1,000kg lighter with around 7 sec 0-100kph acceleration (6.7 sec claimed) and nearly 2 seconds faster than the newly introduced 100 Series V8. The figures however don't do justice to just how driveable the car is. After spending some time in an automatic version on road and off highway at our club property, it's a kit that works very well indeed. You can trickle over technical stuff and accelerate smoothly without any nasty hit as the turbo comes in. It's also one our US members who have to endure anemic performance at high altitudes would appreciate.
The kit is quite comprehensive and as a consequence fairly expensive, however the quality of components and workmanship of this Safari kit is very impressive indeed.

An additional injection management unit is used to meter the amount of fuel injected via a dedicated injector in the inlet tract. The factory ECU and injectors are left untouched. A problem common with turbocharged gasoline engines is pinging or detonation. Whilst this kit does a good job of keeping detonation to a minimum it can occur when using regular unleaded. As a safeguard, the factory knock sensors are retained to retard the ignition timing if 6 successive detonations are monitored.

There aren't a great number of these on the road in Australia and only one in our group. There is however a great deal of interest and we're waiting for more of us to take the plunge.
Not doubting you. I’m truly interested in what the curves look like.

Very smooth comes to LIFE at 2000 and now you feel like you have 8 cylinders then the right foot goes down. In comparison the SC always felt rough to me under hard acceleration.

removed pair starting to relocate o2 sensors,this is one of the connectors lots of crud built up on it and some internal corrosion

IMG_0647.JPG

Very smooth comes to LIFE at 2000 and now you feel like you have 8 cylinders then the right foot goes down. In comparison the SC always felt rough to me under hard acceleration.
Out of curiosity, why did you sell the Turbo given the performance gains over the average 80 FZE setup? After driving mine to Alpine and Vegas in 30 days, I can't stand the lethargic performance (especially in the mountains) and am considering a future turbo or LS swap.

I sold it because after owning it for more than two years I only put less than 300 miles on it.

Also Im 100% happy with my other stock 80 series for its built purpose. Im of the belief nothing is more reliable than a stock motor and given the vehicles purpose and my remote solo travel that is extremely important to me.

I never got around to getting a follow up dyno on my project, but I can echo Phil's comments that it spooled up around 2k and felt really alive anywhere above that. Mine was a BW S300SX 63mm with a top mount IC at 5.8psi. Will dyno when the new Wits' End kit comes out, on the same dyno same vehicle.

Haha and it was on the "valet map" not for CDan but for the auto shippers. And it needs suspension work so it doesn't wander all over the place. I will let you drive it again @cruiserdan once I get off my butt and do some maintenance. lol.

I second this observation. My supercharged 80 is on 35s with 4.88s and it is methanol-injected. I recently drove a turbocharged 80 (a custom, not a Safari) on 35s with stock 4.10 gears. It was a lot faster and felt like a good-running stock 100 without all the excess baggage piled on it.

Big difference indeed.

well, I know what I am doing this upcoming weekend! Just picked up my new OEM windshield gasket. So that's going in and then also dealing with this little bit of fun... anyone ever heard a 3FE do this before?

well, I know what I am doing this upcoming weekend! Just picked up my new OEM windshield gasket. So that's going in and then also dealing with this little bit of fun... anyone ever heard a 3FE do this before?

Sounds like a bearing in one of the accessories or idler pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom