What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

anyone has an idea how to attach the fuel tank cap to the fuel door when you refuel at the gas station? some late model cruisers have those little pockets on the door. I think it is nice feature to have? I've dropped my cap many times collecting dirt and debris and possibly ending up in my gas tank.

anyone has an idea how to attach the fuel tank cap to the fuel door when you refuel at the gas station? some late model cruisers have those little pockets on the door. I think it is nice feature to have? I've dropped my cap many times collecting dirt and debris and possibly ending up in my gas tank.

Here's what I did.

1. Drill a little hole in one of the ears of the cap.
2. Make a copper jump ring in the hole, and solder it closed.
3. Tie a nylon (i.e. gasoline-resistant) shoelace between the cap and the cruiser body.

Easy way I use:

Use a split ring for keys about 1" in diameter installed on the stock Toyota fuel cap. The SR is installed in the gap where the cap handle/ears attach to the body of the cap.

When refueling, hang the cap by sliding the split ring over the fuel door lock - the flat blade that latches the door.

Takes about 30 seconds to install the split ring, and is easy to use. Cost between free and $0.25.

I prefer $free.50

gascap1.jpg

gascap2.jpg

As seen here: Best Mods under $50...

Drill a small hole in the flange on top of the cap, attach a small chain or cord, sheet metal screw into the body behind the spout.

Drill a small hole in the flange on top of the cap, attach a small chain or cord, sheet metal screw into the body behind the spout.
Exactly what I did.

Are we seriously still talking about hanging the fuel cap on the door? :rolleyes:

The original owe of mine attached a small chain to the cap that is help down by one of the filler neck screws. Works great

Old rearview mirror was crap, flaking plastic and separating mirror. Dad drives a RAV4 and I was riding with him awhile ago and got the notion that his mirror would fit the ol' 60. Tried it and sure enough.
So I finally got down to the local junk yard and found one, but out of a camry or corolla or something like that. Color even matches. It sits a little higher but works well enough. Grand total: 5 big ones.
mirror.jpg

Old rearview mirror was crap, flaking plastic and separating mirror. Dad drives a RAV4 and I was riding with him awhile ago and got the notion that his mirror would fit the ol' 60. Tried it and sure enough.
So I finally got down to the local junk yard and found one, but out of a camry or corolla or something like that. Color even matches. It sits a little higher but works well enough. Grand total: 5 big ones.
View attachment 1343663
That looks great! Great tech and alternative to the stock mirror (which will no doubt be discontinued soon enough).

C,

Speaking of tech, did you do the seat belt write up? Did I miss it?

J
No not yet! Shoot. I wanted to check one more thing before I finished it. Soon! :)

View attachment 1343663

80 series mirror is also a direct fit Rear view mirror swap (plus visor hijack). Good to know that there are other options out there.

Finally got around to checking the valves and doing an adjustment. Now to get to the tuning the carb part. Definitely sounds smoother and better. Luckily had enough time between storms so we will see what tomorrow is like, need to read through the carb section of the FSM again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom