What did you do to your Cruiser today? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ryan, which one did you get?

I am going to contact 4Crawler tomorrow and see if they will do a 1/2" body lift for the FJ. I don't want it to clear bigger tires I just want to create some gap between the body work and my front bumper so it will stop flexing into those damn filler plates below the headlights and snapping the clips off.

Ace could you post up a pic of your mending plate? I have rips on both sides, I plan to have my buddies shop pull both aprons on their rack (Again) to get them straight and then weld plates over both sides and also fill the inside with automotive structural foam. After my trip to the dunes my drivers side is buckled so bad the door strikes the fender when you open it.

I am also thinking about a 1/2" body lift so my bumper will stop rubbing on my grill and the filler plates below the headlights.

Just a small 2" x 3" mending plate found in any hardware store held in place by HD steel pop-rivets. Seems to be doing the job so far.

Thanks Ace, good to know that's been holding up for you. My plan is probably over kill but I don't want to deal with this again.

image-431234323.jpg
Drivers Side Tearing

image-214829328.jpg
Passenger Side Tearing

image-2351640750.jpg
Top off plate removed exposing the fender apron, I plan to tape off the (outer)side of the channel and fill with foam. I was hoping to use structural automotive foam but ironically now that OEMs are using it in manufacturing there seems to be no third parties supplying this stuff to the consumers.

image-4283040247.jpg
Side taped off, I will use the holes in the apron that the top off plate snaps into to inject the foam. Since structural foam is no longer an option I will be using plain old expanding foam from Lowes.

After filling both sides the aprons seem much stouter. Before, I could crush them with my bare hands like an aluminum can with the top off plate removed, and when I grab the turn signal I could pull up and down and see the apron flexing at my tear points, I cannot bend it or cause it to flex now.

My next step is cutting a plate of 1/8" steel to run the length of the apron. There are a few used and unused threaded inserts in the apron that I will make use of to attach the plate. Ace, I think I will use your rivet idea as well. After looking at how astonishingly thin the aprons are I don't think I could weld it without just blow holes right through it.

I have also ordered a 1/2" body lift from member "Bandi" on the blue room. You can find his product on eBay. (I have been using his Bandi-Mount CB antenna mount for the past couple years with great satisfaction and he replied to my questions about the body lift within the hour) The 1/2" lift requires no new hardware beyond the spacers as the factory bolts have plenty of extra length and it requires no steering linkage extension or radiator drop brackets as the larger spacers do. I am merely trying to create enough gap that the bumper will not push up into the fenders and grill on impact or extreme flex as it does currently.

I also ordered some Super Bumps bump stops from wheelers off-road with 1/4" spacers. If you haven't checked these out do so now. They look awesome and the fronts are only $50! I will post up a review after I put them to use. My reason for these is being stock height running 285/75R16 with an aftermarket bumper I am making contact with the fender liners in the whoops and I'm sure that's not helping my fender bulge/tear situation.

So there's my plan. Reinforce the fender aprons, softer/extended bump stops to keep the tires off the fender liners and 1/2" body lift to create clearance between the body work and my AllPro bumper.

Hopefully this is the last I post about fender bulges and tears other to give an update and say everything is good. Fingers Crossed.

image-431234323.jpg

image-214829328.jpg

image-2351640750.jpg

image-4283040247.jpg

Last edited:
I installed a matte black hood decal from Amaesing on the blue room. It came within a few days nicely packed in a poster tube. I watched the install video on YouTube and promptly had the entire thing static cling right onto my pants. It folded in several spots and the adhesive side was stuck to itself. Jami sprayed it down with Windex and we slowly peeled it apart. It had horrible looking creases and crinkles all over! I figured it was toast but we 'd put it on anyways and get some experience. Turns out once we got it aligned and started going over it with the squeegee all the wrinkles and creases vanished. Sweet!!

image-334970791.jpg
Here is a shot of the finished product.

image-334970791.jpg

I have wanted to flat-black my hood and just know I'd loose my temper with the decal and trash it, so I plan to rattle-can it.

How come you've never lifted your FJ? It sure would help with fender clearance.

I have wanted to flat-black my hood and just know I'd loose my temper with the decal and trash it, so I plan to rattle-can it. How come you've never lifted your FJ? It sure would help with fender clearance.

It was frustrating but with two people not that bad and it came out great. PlastiDip would be perfect, if you didn't like it or it got beat up just peel it off.

The FJ is my DD and I like driving fast so the low CoG is nice. I don't want to lift it until I can do lift, regear, 35's and front locker all at once. That's a fairly substantial amount of coin.

Well I got the rear of the LX changed from AHC to Ironman. The torsion bars haven't arrived yet so for now it's a mega stinkbug! Planning on pulling everything off the front tomorrow, parts show a Monday delivery.

image-1374412368.jpg

image-2487205832.jpg

image-1706183184.jpg

image-2137104908.jpg

Threw some new shocks on. It'll be a temporary fix until I get a more permanent suspension solution. Time to start deciding between leafs or links.

Well I got the rear of the LX changed from AHC to Ironman. The torsion bars haven't arrived yet so for now it's a mega stinkbug! Planning on pulling everything off the front tomorrow, parts show a Monday delivery.

Nice!! Post up some feedback on the Ironman setup once you've got some miles on it.

image-1236800160.jpg
The FJ got some new shoes . Extremely happy with the Duratracs! Smooth as a street tire and quieter than the BFG AT KO's. Track great and they took hardly anything to balance out. At 100 it's 1 finger driving, just smooth as can be.

Ordered the full Ricochet HD skid set. So that will be another project for this winter. Need to get a rear bumper ordered here soon, I leaning towards sticking with All Pro.

image-1236800160.jpg

I did not know an FJ would go 100. Mine won't, or at least I won't let it.

Glad your liking the Duratracs. Great tire. But they will get noisier in time.

I did not know an FJ would go 100. Mine won't, or at least I won't let it.

Glad your liking the Duratracs. Great tire. But they will get noisier in time.

Fuel pump cuts out at 110. Feels like the motor could pull a bit more but not much.

I assumed the Duratracs would get a little noisier, it seems most aggressive tires do. So far nothing but good things to say about their road manners. Running 36psi in the Treadwright Warden's with BFG AT KO carcasses was a stiff ride. I'd usually air them down to around 33psi and they felt a little more comfortable but started getting a little squishy feeling in the corners. I have 38psi front 36psi rear in the Duratracs and they feel incredibly supple, without feeling squishy in the corners. I would think with the much greater tread depth and softer compound they would feel squirmy on hard cornering but they don't in the slightest.

Last edited:
Replaced the upper control arm bushings on my Light Racing UCAs, realigned and balanced and it now rides and handles much better on and off the road.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Passed 100,000 miles a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Wow. I thought you had more than that. I'm at 120K. You drive harder than most so I expect you will surpass my mileage this year.

Wow. I thought you had more than that. I'm at 120K. You drive harder than most so I expect you will surpass my mileage this year.

I don't know about "harder", probably further.

I am currently working with redlinegoods.com to get a steering wheel cover made for the FJ. These aren't your typical covers, they actually source a steering wheel and create a factory quality skin that you stitch over the factory steering wheel wrap (Or bare plastic if there is no factory leather wrap). I had an alcantera wheel wrap (with added grips at 10 and 2) plus their shift boot and e-brake boot on my mazda and the workmanship and materials were top notch.

The skinny wheel on the FJ bugs me, I find it uncomfortable on long drives and smooth leather isn't the nicest on freezing cold mornings. The wraps are nice thick material (They have a ton to choose from) so it bumps the diameter of the steering wheel a bit plus there are options to add padding and thumb grips.

http://redlinegoods.com/SteeringWheelPadding.php?frames=N

They already make some products for other Toyotas if you guys want to check them out!

http://redlinegoods.com/Tacoma05shiftboot.php

I'll post up photos and a full review/install guide when I get mine in and they should be on sale to the general public shortly after!

Ryan

Last edited:
I am currently working with redlinegoods.com to get a steering wheel cover made for the FJ. These aren't your typical covers, they actually source a steering wheel and create a factory quality skin that you stitch over the factory steering wheel wrap (Or bare plastic if there is no factory leather wrap). I had an alcantera wheel wrap (with added grips at 10 and 2) plus their shift boot and e-brake boot on my mazda and the workmanship and materials were top notch.

The skinny wheel on the FJ bugs me, I find it uncomfortable on long drives and smooth leather isn't the nicest on freezing cold mornings. The wraps are nice thick material (They have a ton to choose from) so it bumps the diameter of the steering wheel a bit plus there are options to add padding and thumb grips.

http://redlinegoods.com/SteeringWheelPadding.php?frames=N

They already make some products for other Toyotas if you guys want to check them out!

http://redlinegoods.com/Tacoma05shiftboot.php

I'll post up photos and a full review/install guide when I get mine in and they should be on sale to the general public shortly after!

Ryan

Ryan this is something I would be interested in, I find most steering wheels to be to small in diameter as well.

Everything is moving forward with Redline Goods they have received the stock steering wheel and are creating their patterns for the wrap now, I just gave them my deposit today I should have it in 2-4 weeks. I'll post up a review and photos, I had them add thumb rests at 10 and 2 as well. Ended up going black Alcantera with White double stitching.

12104260924_c0ba4a0a1a_z.jpg

This one is the same material, thumb rests and same stitching pattern. Only difference will be the white thread for the stitching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom