What Comms do SCLC members use on Club Runs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New 80 Series owner here, and brand-new SoCal LC club member. I attended the August meeting in my 97 LX450 (two-tone black raptor-lined lower / white painted upper). I've had the rig for about two months now, and done a bit of baselining and now the rig is trail-worthy. But I am brand new to offroading, and I know need to learn a lot. I look forward to joining you on one of the upcoming club runs, and want to be properly prepared to be safe and have a great time. In addition to needing to get some basic safety and recovery gear, I have also been advised to get some sort of radio/comm system so I can communicate with other rigs in the group. What is the preferred radio/comm protocol used by Club Members? HAM / FRS / GMRS? Any suggestions on good quality radio gear I should consider getting?

Thanks!

RB
'97 LX450 - ARB Deluxe Front Bumper with 12K Winch, Triple Locked, 4.88's, CrMo axles, OME 850J/863J, Sliders, Custom swingout rear bumper, 35's.

Got it. I think I can handle the test. I've been meaning to get a Technician's license anyway.

Ham radio and as a licensed ham, thank you for wanting to get your license! I run a dual band Yaesu FT-8800 in the truck. More power so better range.

In the market for a new handheld. My 12 year old Wouxun (half a step up from Baofeng back then per reviews on ham boards) finally took a dump. Half of me wants a nicer Yaesu and half of me says just get the Baofeng @Ttoner80 posted above.

Edit: hard to pass up the Baofeng at $50 when comparable Yaesu HT's like the FT-60R or VX-6R are running $150-$250. Both of thse are 5 watt and the Baofeng is at 8 watts.

Last edited:
I’ve been happy with the Baofeng for trail comms. Good little unit and the extra battery is good for multi-day trip. An onboard inverter or USB charging cable should provide unlimited talk time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom