What are the best tires for a stock FJ80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to buy some new tires for my 1992 LC I just recently bought, and I want to get something more aggressive than the stock tires it has on it now. I originally wanted to step it up to 33x12.5 tires since I plan on doing a fair amount of trail riding with it. But since this is my first vehicle, the decreased gas mileage and cost of re-gearing it ruled that idea out :frown: So I was wondering, how would it perform with 33x10.5 tires? I really don't want to go with stock 31" tires, but I can't afford to step it up to 4.88s right now, or sacrifice any more gas mileage. Also, the tires I'm thinking about going with are Cooper Discoverer AT/3s. I've looked up reviews on them and they seem to be solid tires. Does anyone else have any experience with them on their LC? Thanks :cheers:

You shouldn't need to regear with 33's unless you live in the mountains.

I ran a 33x12.50 on my 92 when I first got it. The tires were the first mod so it was bone stock. No lift, no regear, nothing. It didn't seem to change driveability much if in when compared to the 31x10.50s it came with.

About what gas mileage would I get though? My dad keeps saying that I'm going to drop down to about 8 mpg.

Also, what do you guys think about getting 31x12.5x15 tires? A friend said he has 5 Thornbirds in that size that he'll sell me. Only problem is that I'll probably have to buy some wider rims (it has the stock 15" rims on it now).

Larger tires on any vehicle will usually always result in a MPG drop. The FJ80 isn't going to get very good gas mileage to start with.

I wouldn't go with the Thornbirds if it was me. I personally think they are a junk tire. For a tire that is 12.50 in width you will want a rim that is a minimum of 8 inches wide. I did run 35x12.50s on the stock rim (15x7) for a couple years. On a side note some tire places won't mount tires on rims that aren't wide enough per the wheel specs.

I've been through many sets of tires because I couldn't make my mind up. I would say do some research, save your money, think about what you really want out of your rig then pull the trigger. Will save you a bunch of $$$ in the long run.

About what gas mileage would I get though? My dad keeps saying that I'm going to drop down to about 8 mpg.

I just bought 315/70/16 Destination AT's (33") for my '97 and the Ultragauge I just installed said I was getting as much as 16-17MPG on the highway (55-58mph) and a pretty steady 13-15 in the low to mid 60's.

I don't really know how accurate those gauges are, perhaps others can say.
I drove about 15 miles each way and wheeled down on the beach for a few more miles, and returned 11MPG average for the trip.

It's not the 34MPG highway I get in my VW, but around town that only gets 17-20 (thirsty turbo), and it won't get me across the sand and up over the dunes.

Last edited:
What I think I'm going to have to do is get the 31" for daily driving and just pick up some extra rims and some 33" for when I decide to go trail riding. My dad won't let me get 33" for daily driving. I'm probably just going to pick up some factory Toyota steel wheels and get them powder coated. What width should I get for the 33" tires? I was thinking about 10.5 so I don't have to worry about the backspacing, but there just doesn't seem to be many options in that size.

I just bought 315/70/16 Destination AT's (33") for my '97 and the Ultragauge I just installed said I was getting as much as 16-17MPG on the highway (55-58mph) and a pretty steady 13-15 in the low to mid 60's.

I don't really know how accurate those gauges are, perhaps others can say.
I drove about 15 miles each way and wheeled down on the beach for a few more miles, and returned 11MPG average for the trip.

It's not the 34MPG highway I get in my VW, but around town that only gets 17-20 (thirsty turbo), and it won't get me across the sand and up over the dunes.
Hi, I'm new with the fj80 so, trying to learn. Did you lift to use those tires? Because I dont want to lift mine up and trying to get this size too. Thanks in advance

Hi, I'm new with the fj80 so, trying to learn. Did you lift to use those tires? Because I dont want to lift mine up and trying to get this size too. Thanks in advance

7 years later from the dead

Also, what do you guys think about getting 31x12.5x15 tires? A friend said he has 5 Thornbirds in that size that he'll sell me. Only problem is that I'll probably have to buy some wider rims (it has the stock 15" rims on it now).
The only thing a Thornbird is good for is a dock bumper.

I have run 32s (285s) on a couple of stock FJ80s with no complaints. Personally that is the largest tire I would install on a stock FJ80. IMHO the 3FE is just gonna be working to hard to push taller. With the 32 inch tires, driven smartly, I saw no reduction in highway fuel economy. Drive gentle in town and you likely will see no descernable loss there either.

The "best" tire for you depends on how you are gonna use the rig, what your local environment is (year round unless you plan on swapping tires summer/winter) and how much you want to spend.

Cooper Discoverer AT/3s are a great street/highway tire and dirt road tire too I guess. I am a big fan of there Cooper Discovery STT Pro as a street/highway tire on a rig that sees a pretty good bit of muddy trail too. About the best tire I have found for all around use in my area. with daily road use being a factor. The AT3 is not a dedicated snow tire of course, but it is better for on road snow conditions than the STT Pro. The STT does suprisngly well, but that is not reallly its forte.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom