wet carpet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i fished a wire down my two front sunroof drains. i used a at least 2-3 ft on both sides and came up to a hard part where i could not go any farther.
No water on the wire? did i go down far enough?

other areas i should look at for water leakage?

Norm

seeping in through the bottom corners of the front windscreen seal.

make sure to clean the rocker panel drains

rocker panel drains

I checked after a couple of rains nothing...
left for a week a good rain up here in nor cal and the passenger side floor is soaked.

I have not seen the rocker panel drains? anybody have pics?

also i am not sure if it matters but there was no water on the firewall upper carpet only on the floor, gravity? or something else.

thanks
norm

Mine was also the pass side. Just look under the car. You will see 3 or 4 black holes on the rocker panels.

What happens is that the rocker panels fill up and the water seeps into the cabin.

Someone else on mud mentioned a simlar prob. I believe they pulled the corner section of headliner and reattached a clamp on the upper section of drain hose and that took care of it.
I need to try doing this on my 80. There is no water trapped in the rocker panels.
I pushed 67" of heavy gauge electric wire down each front corner drain hole until the wire bottomed out. I shot water down the passenger side front drain hole and I could see the water seep through the headliner and drip down to the floor. Sure, the water was draining out at the bottom, but it still seeped through at the top corner so I suspect it is due to the clamp. So, checking the clamp is on my to-do list.

I checked after a couple of rains nothing...
left for a week a good rain up here in nor cal and the passenger side floor is soaked.

I have not seen the rocker panel drains? anybody have pics?

also i am not sure if it matters but there was no water on the firewall upper carpet only on the floor, gravity? or something else.

thanks
norm

could mean its not coming from above the firewall upper carpet. door seals perhaps..or sunroof seals. or the trail of water is just following a line where theres no contact with carpet.

for the rockers, theres a little gap along the pinch weld under the rockers. i think about mid wheelbase? have a look. it often gets blocked with dirt and debris. stick a small screwdriver in there or whatever to ensure its free of any blockage.

also check firewall for any grommets or plugs that might have been worked loose. i did some wiring in my 4runner, the firewall grommet plug thing wasnt seated properly, and water dripped from the rear of my hood down into that hole...

alrighty i will check the rocker drain holes tonight, hopefully that is where my problem stems from
thanks

large wire ties work really well to clean the rocker drain holes.

I actually had a bit of water leaking from my driver door seal, but I think it was from ice/condensation that melted.

Since you are at it you might want to check for water leaking in the rear quarter panel areas. I thought I had fixed my DS side, but I checked it today and it's still leaking from somewhere. :(

Last edited:
Hey Norm,

My A/C evaporator was the source of my damp passenger floor board. There is a small 2 inch rubber hose that extends through the firewall to drain water (condensation) from the evaporator. In my case the hose had come off, so the water was draining down the firewall (inside) and accumulating on the passenger floor board. Its a long shot but if all else fails..........

Its very easy to find the hose, look under your dash (passenger side), locate Evap. Box (just below glove box), about 1/4 the way up the backside of the Evap. Box you will see the hose extending from it thought a grommet in the firewall. If it looks good, run the A/C for a bit. Turn the car off and wait a few minutes >>>> look for water under the car (behind passenger front tire). Outside temp plays a roll in this as well, so don't worry if you don't see any water on the ground. Repeat process on a warm day....

Most likely its the drains in your rockers, or a bad Windshield seal (aftermarket?) It helps to have someone run a steady stream of water around the windshield, while you wait inside and observe....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom