West Texas Toyotas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any clubs or groups or anything in the Alpine Marfa Big Bend Area? Even just a group that regularly goes to big bend. I’m around Alpine with an FJ 40 that I use on the ranch and would like to take to the park and meet up with more Toyota people, been running with Jeep and Defender Guys.

That sounds like fun. I would be interested . Mike

I'm looking at the week of March 15th - 22nd to run trails at Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park. I plan on staying in Terlingua.

There will be a Toyota club down there someday...

I'll start one just as soon as I can retire and get the hell out of DFW.

I run a ranch just outside of alpine @dharts so I should be able to break away for a few days.
I’ve run around the national park some but never the state park.

I’m kinda surprised there isn’t a club in the area just because there’s so many pubic areas around between Big Bend and Monahanns sand dunes.

It looks like the mid-March dates mirror Spring Break. Not good. I've booked a room in Terlingua for the week of May 3rd. Hope you can break away a few days during that week. Ran across the attached TPW "Roads to Nowhere," discussing "unmaintained 4X4 high-clearance roads in Big Bend Ranch State Park."

Attachments

• Roads to Nowhere.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 402
I run a ranch just outside of alpine @dharts so I should be able to break away for a few days.
I’ve run around the national park some but never the state park.

I’m kinda surprised there isn’t a club in the area just because there’s so many pubic areas around between Big Bend and Monahanns sand dunes.
Have you ever run the Christmas Mountains? I understand it's fairly restricted, and you need a permit/gate key from the Terlingua Ranch Lodge. The views and final destination appear remarkable. I'd also like to get to Bee Cave Canyon near Chalk Draw Ranch.

No I’ve never been over there, I haven’t off roaded much except here on the ranch. I just got my fj in November so I’m still learning about the trails and all the places you can go.

Sent ya a Pm.

903C2032.jpg

There are a couple of us in El Paso. Is the pizza foundation still around? Before I retired I would go to Alpine at least twice a month.

I’ve talked to people around here that go the park a lot more than I, and they said the state park has a lot more cool trails for off roading than the National park. The pizza foundation is still around but the best way to get served quickly is to place your order the day before, last time I was in it took 2 hours to get a pizza.

Last edited:
No doubt. I was primarily scouting the area this trip for next May but did run Old Maverick Road, River Road East and Glenn Spring Road in BIBE; all three were improved dirt roads. Some have dry washes that could be tough in wet, muddy weather. If dry, a Subaru Outback would make quick work of these roads. I didn't drive Black Gap Road, which I hear is the most challenging road in BIBE - I saved that trail
for the FJ40 in May.

I did check out the Las Burras Loop in BBRSP, accessible from FM 170, and have posted a couple of pictures. It's an unimproved, 3 1/2 mile trek. The GX460's front-end drug a few times in traversing some trenches. No comparison to the improved dirt roads at BIBE. Lot's of washed out, uneven, rocky, sandy road. Loved that small taste of BBRSP.

I took a 1 ton diesel truck down black gap road in the national park in January, it wasn’t too bad. However, There was one spot that made me turn around but it was a width issue more than the road being bad. My options were put a tire in a rather large hole or the side of a truck into a rock, being alone with no gear I voted to turn around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom