Welder Breaker size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is a Lincoln 216 for sale locally and I am trying to price out the difference between it and a Miller 212.

The miller manual says the 212 can run on a 30 amp breaker but the Lincoln 216 requires a 50 amp breaker.

I have a 220v circuit with a 30 amp breaker for my dryer that is not used (gas dryer) but I am thinking I should price out how much it will cost to upgrade the wiring and breaker if I go with the Lincoln 216.

Has anyone ever ran a Lincoln 216 off a 30 amp breaker?

I don't know the input current requirements for for Lincoln 216. I'm guessing it will be fine since I doubt you'll ever be running it wide open 100% of the time. The duty cycle of the welder will not support it and you'll probably not be welding thick stuff 100% of the time the welder is on.

Personally, I'd buy the Miller.

I don't know the input current requirements for for Lincoln 216. I'm guessing it will be fine since I doubt you'll ever be running it wide open 100% of the time. The duty cycle of the welder will not support it and you'll probably not be welding thick stuff 100% of the time the welder is on.

Personally, I'd buy the Miller.

Hey Charles, any particular reason why you would go with the Miller?

The only downside I see to the Lincoln 216 is that it has stepped voltage controls. But I figured if I can get it for a deal I can live with it.

Hey Charles, any particular reason why you would go with the Miller?

The only downside I see to the Lincoln 216 is that it has stepped voltage controls. But I figured if I can get it for a deal I can live with it.

Just personal preference and better support/service with Miller.

Some features of 212 that is useful to me:
I like the Spoolmatic 15 or 30A spoolgun. Also, the Line Voltage Compensation is nice. Output power will be the same even when input power is not the same/consistent. Does the not having a mechanical output contactor mean it will not me making clunking sounds when you pull the trigger?
Finally, I believe you can connect a Miller Reach suitcase to this welder for even more flexability.

Miller features:

New! AUTOSET is a breakthrough control that automatically sets your welder to the proper parameters. Auto-Set makes set up very simple and gives you precise settings instantly.

Manual Mode allows you to manually set weld parameters for broader applications.

NEW! Infinite voltage control replaces "tap" settings which means you can now "dial in" precise weld voltage and wirefeed speed when using the Manual Mode.

Compatible with Spoolmatic 15A/30A spool gun! The Spoolmatic 15A/30A with wire feed speed control on the gun saves time for the operator by eliminating the need for the operator by eliminating the need to go back to the machine to change the spool gun wirefeed speed.

NEW! Line Voltage Compensation keeps welding output constant even if power input varies by +/- 10%.

NEW! No more replacing mechanical output contactors. Our built-in solid-state contactor circuit makes wire electrically "cold" until the trigger is pulled, and gives you life-long welding output and performance.

NEW! Reduce Maintenance and Operating Costs with our Fan-On-Demand cooling system that only operates when needed, reducing power consumption and contaminants drawn into the machine.

EZ-Access Consumable Compartment and Parameter Chart - convenient new flip-down compartment that provides fast access to parameter chart and consumables.

Larger work area - now with longer 15-ft M-25 gun.

Patent-pending EZ-Change Low Cylinder Rack allows operators to easily roll cylinders on and off of rack - no need to lift cylinders.

Last edited:
230V:30A at 170A/24VDC/60% Duty Cycle
230V:36A at 216A/22VDC/30% Duty Cycle

You have a chance of tripping that breaker if you get the machine really hot.

I'd tighten all the connections at the breaker and plug and as long as the welder isn't 200 ft from the panel, I'd run it.

I, too, like Miller but I have been using a Hobart Handler 210 lately and I like it quite a bit. It sure is easier to move around than my old Miller CP200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom