Weird radio behavior - drops FM signal every 50-60 seconds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2013 Land Cruiser. Has anyone experienced this with their FM/AM radio? Mine cuts out every 50-60 seconds. It’s silent for about 10 seconds, and then the song info on the screen blinks (almost like it resets) and the radio starts again. Plays for about 50-60 seconds, then does it again. This started a few weeks ago.

This doesn’t happen with the Bluetooth, CDs, or DVDs.

For diagnosis purposes, two other things that may/may not be related. First, I could hear a fan-like whirring sound behind the radio a while back. The sound has since stopped, but I heard it could be a fan failing that is meant to cool the display. Second, I recently used the CD player for the first time and I noticed, when I removed it, that the CD had gotten very hot. When I put DVDs in, they don’t get that hot.

Last edited:
According to parts diagram there is a connector that connects driver side antenna to passenger side antenna. It's located in passenger D pillar and is called an amplifier?
Ah, right! Sorry, I forgot your earlier post about this. I may be willing to give it a try. Do you know the part number?

Actually I don't but here it is.

1634395385961.png

Has anyone had any luck with this issue yet? I’ve got another 13’ that started this as well. Part number for what I think is the correct amplifier is 8630060770.
Still having the issue, though I haven’t tried anything to correct it. I use a Grom unit now, but it would be nice to have the radio working.

Anyone find a solution?

I also have a 2013 with the navigation system and have this issue with the radio. I rarely if ever notice it on shorter trips, but just finished a road trip and the issue seemed to get progressively worse during the trip.

I noticed it on FM stations and tried selecting and deselecting the HD radio button. On either selection the issue still persisted. The radio will randomly stop and will have a loud buzzing for about 5-10 seconds followed by a 5-10 second period of silence at which point the channel will resume.

All of the other radio functions work just fine. Connected to Bluetooth audio the signal will not cut out at all.

The fact that it only occurs after long durations of being on make me believe it is something heat related in a component.

I agree. Any idea what components would be susceptible to heat and that would only affect the radio?

I’m surprised at how common the issue appears to be and how similar/precise the behavior.

I will have to do a bit more troubleshooting. I actually have an extended warranty that covers the electronics package so I may be able to better figure it out as long as I can get the issue to duplicate.

One other thing I have noticed that I am not sure if it is typical or not is that the console gets pretty warm when driving. If I have anything sitting on the little rubber pad just in front of the coin drawer it will get noticably warm. There was another post earlier in this thread mentioning a fan noise from the headunit, but I can not recall if I have ever heard this on mine.

One other thing I have noticed that I am not sure if it is typical or not is that the console gets pretty warm when driving. If I have anything sitting on the little rubber pad just in front of the coin drawer it will get noticably warm. There was another post earlier in this thread mentioning a fan noise from the headunit, but I can not recall if I have ever heard this on mine.
I noticed that a DVD I had playing got very, very hot. I wonder if the head unit overheats with radio? I pulled it and played a DVD and noticed the fans on the side of the head unit (behind the cover in the photo) didn’t turn on. Taking it to an electronics guy now to see if he has some ideas.

A5418092-03D2-4D60-ACA9-B27AB84115A3.jpeg

I noticed that a DVD I had playing got very, very hot. I wonder if the head unit overheats with radio? I pulled it and played a DVD and noticed the fans on the side of the head unit (behind the cover in the photo) didn’t turn on. Taking it to an electronics guy now to see if he has some ideas.
I was headed down a similar path. I have the radio unit loose, but still plugged in. There is a large fan on the passenger side and a small fan on the drive side. Neither fan is on while I am checking, but the radio is still cool to the touch. I need to run it for a bit to see if it starts to heat up.

The smaller fan on the driver side does pulse and move a fraction of a revolution every now and then. I dont know if the fans are supposed to be on all the time or if they get a PWM signal to run variable speed based off a temperature measurement somewhere in the radio unit.

I was headed down a similar path. I have the radio unit loose, but still plugged in. There is a large fan on the passenger side and a small fan on the drive side. Neither fan is on while I am checking, but the radio is still cool to the touch. I need to run it for a bit to see if it starts to heat up.

The smaller fan on the driver side does pulse and move a fraction of a revolution every now and then. I dont know if the fans are supposed to be on all the time or if they get a PWM signal to run variable speed based off a temperature measurement somewhere in the radio unit.
Awesome. I’m doing a test tonight to see if I can get the fan to turn on. If it doesn’t, maybe the first step is replacing that part (I believe part no. CXM1408 from Pioneer (about $56).

Awesome. I’m doing a test tonight to see if I can get the fan to turn on. If it doesn’t, maybe the first step is replacing that part (I believe part no. CXM1408 from Pioneer (about $56).

I have had a combination of the radio, bluetooth, and a DVD playing for around 6 hours today and have not had the fans come on at all. The head unit has definitely warmed up, but nothing too alarming with temperature. The vehicle is parked in the garage and not moving, so there is no heat coming up from the tunnel. SO far no issues with then radio coming on, but my gut thinks the fans should have been on at some point.

I had a thermocouple beside the upper back corner of the head unit, right by the fan you pictured. I saw just under 100 F while in operation, with no fans on. I then took a space heater and put it inside the vehicle and after about another hour was able to get the headunit metal case temp up to around 128 F at which point it was quite warm feeling, but still no fan was running. This is still not as hot as a hot summer day inside the vehicle. During this whole test the radio never cut out at all. I think the fans are still an issue, but it is frustrating troubleshooting when you can not duplicate the problem.

I typically loathe dash work and snapping off all the plastic panels, but this one was actually pretty tolerable. Here is the video I found showing how to remove it.

Radio and Navigation Removal 200 Series

I took part of the head unit apart, but got nervous with many of the ribbon cables so stopped when things got tight. Overall, the head unit has a ton of screws. Fortunately the screw hole used are almost all marked with arrows and the fasteners are pretty much identical for much of the casing of the head unit.

I found 3 fans in the head unit. One on the driver side, the passenger side, and one on the bottom. All of the fans had markings on them.

The driver side fan was marked with pioneer part number CXM1423-A 2E8C and measured as a 40mm case x 10mm thick fan. This was a two wire fan, but I was not able to get to the plug. This fan should be pretty easy to change, especially if you wanted to cut the wires and crimp a new fan wire in place.

The passenger side fan was marked with pioneer part number CXM1408-A 2E8C and measured as a 48mm case?? (may be 50?mm ? x10mm thick fan. The mounting of this fan had one screw under one of the PCB's of the head unit. I did not want to disturb the PCB, so did not completely remove the fan. This would be much more difficult to replace than the driver side, but this is the largest fan and looked to provide cooling to the majority of the components. It was a two wire fan.

There was one more fan on the bottom of the head unit. It did not have a sticker but had a stenciled number on the side that I can not find info on. It read as A204306L6 and was a 40mm case x 10 mm thick fan with a 3 wire lead.

I typically loathe dash work and snapping off all the plastic panels, but this one was actually pretty tolerable. Here is the video I found showing how to remove it.

I took part of the head unit apart, but got nervous with many of the ribbon cables so stopped when things got tight. Overall, the head unit has a ton of screws. Fortunately the screw hole used are almost all marked with arrows and the fasteners are pretty much identical for much of the casing of the head unit.

I found 3 fans in the head unit. One on the driver side, the passenger side, and one on the bottom. All of the fans had markings on them.

The driver side fan was marked with pioneer part number CXM1423-A 2E8C and measured as a 40mm case x 10mm thick fan. This was a two wire fan, but I was not able to get to the plug. This fan should be pretty easy to change, especially if you wanted to cut the wires and crimp a new fan wire in place.

The passenger side fan was marked with pioneer part number CXM1408-A 2E8C and measured as a 48mm case?? (may be 50?mm ? x10mm thick fan. The mounting of this fan had one screw under one of the PCB's of the head unit. I did not want to disturb the PCB, so did not completely remove the fan. This would be much more difficult to replace than the driver side, but this is the largest fan and looked to provide cooling to the majority of the components. It was a two wire fan.

There was one more fan on the bottom of the head unit. It did not have a sticker but had a stenciled number on the side that I can not find info on. It read as A204306L6 and was a 40mm case x 10 mm thick fan with a 3 wire lead.
I pulled the head unit and ran a DVD in it to see if the fans would turn on. Typically, I pull the dvd after it’s been running and it’s blazing hot. The fans did not turn on - however, the dvd also did not get hot with the head unit pulled.

I felt the area behind the head unit, and it was hot. There’s an open hose end (circled in second photo) venting hot air into the area.

The surface of the white cover (which has part number 87050-60491, apparently an evaporator) is quite hot. The hose connects to the in-cabin temperature sensor in the dash on one side, and vents out hot air on the other, directly behind the head unit.

BA77FB4D-7326-4FA4-AF54-28D13DF83844.jpeg

8FE87E57-30C9-4858-9697-7109F92CECDB.jpeg

Last edited:

Did you end up trying to replace anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom