Weird radio behavior - drops FM signal every 50-60 seconds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2013 Land Cruiser. Has anyone experienced this with their FM/AM radio? Mine cuts out every 50-60 seconds. It’s silent for about 10 seconds, and then the song info on the screen blinks (almost like it resets) and the radio starts again. Plays for about 50-60 seconds, then does it again. This started a few weeks ago.

This doesn’t happen with the Bluetooth, CDs, or DVDs.

For diagnosis purposes, two other things that may/may not be related. First, I could hear a fan-like whirring sound behind the radio a while back. The sound has since stopped, but I heard it could be a fan failing that is meant to cool the display. Second, I recently used the CD player for the first time and I noticed, when I removed it, that the CD had gotten very hot. When I put DVDs in, they don’t get that hot.

Last edited:
My '15 does this. I turn the station and then it's fine until it's restarted. I'll try the trip logs thing. Are you talking about resetting the trip odometers or something else?

Mine did similar, drove me nuts. Went into the settings and stopped it recording trip logs. Fixed it immediately. Hopefully yours is the same

I’m having the same annoying problem with my radio as the others. Thanks so much for your post.

If I’m understanding you correctly, I will poke around the NAV tomorrow morning and make sure the “Route Trace” feature is set to “not recording”.

If this works, 2021 will be off to a great start.

I also have a 2013 LC. This morning I checked the NAV and sure enough the “Route Trace” feature was set with recording ON. I turned it off.

I believe this the “recording trip logs” @vbc1_75 was referring to.
Hope some driving time will prove this is the fix. My radio was acting exactly as previously described: off for 9-10 seconds (with a static click), then on for about a minute....

edited to correct typo.

Last edited:
I also have a 2013 LC. This morning I checked the NAV and sure enough the “Route Trace” feature was set with recording ON. I turned it off.

I believe this the “recording trip logs” @vcb1_75 was referring to.
Hope some driving time will prove this is the fix. My radio was acting exactly as previously described: off for 9-10 seconds (with a static click), then on for about a minute....

I have not had this problem, but checked and "Route Trace" was turned OFF on my 2013 LC200.

To see the Route Trace option, from the MAP display, touch the "Show On Map" soft button and select/deselect Route Trace.

HTH

man, I got so excited to read this that I ran out to check the route trace ...mine was off :(

We have a 2013 and it happens (I believe only on FM) after an hour of continuous use. I always thought it was a heat thing and after putting a chinese tablet in my GX, I am really tempted to do it in the 200.

I wanted to report back. Turning off the Route Trace Recording did not fix the radio cutting out problem. Today was the first day I have been able to drive for a couple of hours since I made the change...
Maybe there be some other ideas?

I believe this the “recording trip logs” @vbc1_75 was referring to.

edited to correct typo.
I see it didn’t fix the problem. I’m still having issues as well.

Any idea if it’s just HD channels?

Last edited:
I'm having a similar issue and I have found it to vary with radio signal strength, I think. There is a FM amplifier fo sorts where the two ( R & L ) leads connect by upper D pillar. This piece is about $250 and I'm a bit shy to shotgun it parts wise. Getting used to no radio and find the quiet rather soothing.

I'm having a similar issue and I have found it to vary with radio signal strength, I think. There is a FM amplifier fo sorts where the two ( R & L ) leads connect by upper D pillar. This piece is about $250 and I'm a bit shy to shotgun it parts wise. Getting used to no radio and find the quiet rather soothing.
So far, the fixes I’ve seen include disconnecting the battery, cleaning/replacing fuses, and turning off route tracing. I’ve seen some speculation about overheating or a bad ground being the issue, but haven’t seen that confirmed.

I have a 2013 and it does the same thing. Seems to be after driving for an hour or so. Then a pop, and no sound for about 10-15 seconds. Only happens on AM or FM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom