Weird intermittent power loss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nope. Been living with it. I've had a crazy hectic year and not much time for projects. Honestly it's just an inconvenience since it never lasts longer than thirty seconds or so but I sure would like to get it sorted.

Thinking up may try tps next.

Holy thread revival batman! Looking for any of the folks who posted (who haven't been active in 3+ years... I know) same symptoms to post a fix?

I had this exact issue this morning on the way to work in my 230k '91 3FE, video linked from @antiacus couldn't be any closer to my issue. Every now and again when the truck is warm, I'll get a stumble right after startup but it clears itself pretty quickly (10-15 seconds) and doesn't come back for weeks at a time. Done that for a couple of years and I had honestly just chalked it up as a 29 year old truck quirk... but maybe it's related?

Today I'm driving down the highway at about 70mph (~45*F outside) and it's like I sucked up a bird (airplane jokes). Stumbling, loss of power, returned to idle (where it idled fine) regardless of throttle position. Pulled over- thankfully there was a parking lot, left it running- idled fine, popped the hood, moved the throttle by hand and it would sort of get a rise in RPM, but not steady kind of a stumbling, hopped back in started driving after letting it idle for a few minutes, started driving fine through first and second then back to chugging and kind of surging regardless of throttle position...then VOILA! Came back to life normally, revving and all, and I drove the next 10-15 minutes at 60-70mph with no hiccups, surges, issues whatsoever.

My initial thought was fuel, as I had filled up two days ago and am still a pretty full tank, but I didn't drive at all yesterday. I also checked oil yesterday and added a quart (which is normal in the old girls life right now, sadly...I know the 3FE days are numbered) and I'm about to make a 400mile drive to Atlanta and would really like to make it back home for the holiday (currently working in NC) without incident.

Anyone got any thoughts? I know TPS, fuel pump and filter, fuel sock etc were all mentioned...before I start shotgunning parts, figured I'd ask the collective mind.

Evening bump... drove fine home from work, and fine to the store and back. Hoping it was an isolated event, but not feeling that lucky lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom