weird hum under load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I have a few questions here. This design powered the F/R shafts with the VC to allow some relative shaft speed differences, and in low range it's bypassed through a physical connection "locking" the center for better offroad capability. Without the VC, what does the connecting of the F/R shafts in high range? Are mechanics who remove the VC just engaging the physical connection (I think it's a splined collar that slides into position?) and having their clients drive off with locked centers from then on? I'm going from memory here and will go look at the FSM later but it sounds like some are saying without the VC there is still drive given to both axles through the differential which would be good news and fine. But I'm wondering if someone could provide a short detail.

The reason I'm asking is that if people are routinely driving around the road in high range with a locked center (without the dash light because the ball switch has not been thrown, btw) then people should definitly be aware of that. Chirping tires and poor behavior on snow and ice (from the thread I just skimmed - thanks) are classic indicators of locked centers. Thanks in advance. I'll do further research but thought someone may know this off the top of their noggin.

Doug

OK, got it - just read up a little more on the TC. The VC is positioned after the differential and so removing it means the differential merely operates as an open differential without the damping effect of the VC. So scratch my concerns about the VC needing to be in place and pardon that it took me a bit to get up to speed here.

So, my concern is devolved only to feeling that the center diff is locked due to an internal alteration made by the shop, I'd lift it in the air to see if that's the situation. Perhaps try locking and unlocking it in a gravel parking lot first as it's fairly easy to feel/hear the diff lock and unlock click when you go from high to low ranges (or using the switch if one was fitted as part of this work). If you are getting that click and it corresponds to the orange center lock icon light, and can feel the difference, then driving it when you're convinced its UNlocked and still getting the binding then we should move on to the possibility of different tire sizes causing the binding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom