weird grinding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 1985 fj-60 with about 1/4 million miles on it. It is in great shape, but has one major problem that I haven't been able to figure out. Whenever I am really making the truck work, like to scramble up a steep hill or to keep from being smashed by a semi a loud metallic grinding noise comes from somewhere underneath. It sounds like rrrrrrr-rrrrrr-rrrrr and gets higher pitched as the rpm's increase. It only happens when the truck is in first gear and when it is really working hard. I haven't been able to isolate the noise since I am pretty new to the landcruiser game and since it only happens in situations where the last thing I have time to think about is where the noise is coming from and no mechanic I have taken it to has had the slightest clue. So, if any other 60 series owners have had this problem any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

dave

Bonjour Dave,

If it's grumming (lower frequency than grinding :), I would suspect universal joints. If the mechanic didn't sens something about U-joint, it could be a U-joint that vibrates under load but not by hand.

Weird grinding? Grinding? I would suspect the transmission. It could be bearings or gears. In your place, I would use the search feature onto this forum about "transmission problem".

P.O.

The trannies in my 60's always whined, sounded like a school bus.   :D

Check the fluid in the transmission.  It wouldnt hurt to lube the entire chassis with a grease gun while you wre under there as well.

Oh! Also, check to be sure that you are not in 4wd. I picked up my 40 and drove it home on dry pavement in 4wd. The shifter looked to me as if it were in 2Hi, but it wasnt. ::)

A known "grinding" sound on 60's is from the fan hitting the back of the radiator. This happens when one or both of the engine mounts are broken. I can personally testify to the nasty sound...I live in Seattle, and heard this on steep hill starts. It also happened off-road, when, as you mention, the engine was working hard.

It was easy to see if the motor mount was broken - I just put a floor jack under the oil pan, slightly jacked up the engine, and watched the motor mounts. The broken one was obvious.

HTH.

sounds like the ft shift fork is pulling back and trying to engage the ft shaft under load. Check the motor mounts/ tranny mounts. Might also be the shifter itself. There is an adjustment on it. One way to test this is to put the TC in 2WH and disconect the linkage at the nose of the TC and see if it does it.

how do you disconnect the linkages to the nose of hte tc, tried to do mine but gave up when i couldn't see from all the mud the PO was saving for later up under there.

What model ar you driving?

76 fj40

Change your transmission fluid. If it is silver, you need a new transmission. I had the exact same problem getting on the freeway and getting into high rpm in first and second.
Pablo.

I think the grinding you are talking about is the fan hitting either the shroud or back of the radiator. I know exactly the sound you are talking about. I thought I had a broken motor mount, jacked just about jacked the front end off the ground from the oil pan without seeing any change in motor mounts. Might just replace them anyway and see if that fixes it. It really worries me when I hear it and I'm on a mountain road thats LC width and has a 1000 ft dropoff on one side. :eek: :-\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom