weight distribution hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi I am curious if anyone on here has used a ny kind of weight distribution hitch or recommends for or a against I have 92 80 with 2 different trailers I tow both with 400lbs plus tongue weight I do have air bags in the rear to help that end but still seems to be little light in the front end any info or experiences would be appreciated thanx.

Reese High Performance. Easy to use and works like a charm. I tow about 6000 lb and it keeps the truck nice and level, and keeps the front end on the ground too for good control.

Well all seems positive so far that is good always good to hear from people who have used first hand on these vehicles appreciate feedback.

With over 400 pounds on the tongue you NEED a WD hitch.

Unfortunately they suck when the road ends. Be ready to remove and store the bars as needed.

John Davies
Spokane WA

I have a 100, and I use an EAZ-lift weight distribution hitch when towing my horse trailer loaded (about 5k lbs). I can't tell the trailer is there until I hit a hill. Before using it, I had about 2 or 2.5" sag on my rear axle when towing this, slightly light-feeling front end. Afterwards, I had 0.5" or less rear sag and no perceivable sag or lightness up front - the weight was spread well. This is with a stock suspension with 130k on it, no air bags or beefed-up suspension. Great!

What's more, the trailer tows much more directly, with much less wobble and wiggle - and this is hugely beneficial if you tow hores, who are back there compensating for that wiggle/shimmy.

I won't tow anything over 2.5k lbs w/o my weight hitch - it improves towing so much.

Negatives:

1) takes a little more to hook up, but once you get used to it, only about 1 minute on hook up/un hook. Very easy to use

2) it does make the trailer very twitchy to backing. You can't jack-knife it, but it is a little harder to back as it is, at first, less responsive to steering inputs, then massivley corrects because of the input of the bars.

3) terrain adjustability is compromised - but I have towed heavy loads up reasonable forest roads, gravel, etc. and it works fine. If you get into really steep angle, you do need to take off the equalizing bars or you might seriously torque the tongue or pop it. But it is adaptable to most encountered situations - just not suitable for serious angles.

email me if you want more information. But do not hesitate to buy one of these - they are well worth the cost.

Here's a pic of my rig with 5,000lbs (very high center of gravity, also - w/horses standing the cg of that trailer is about shoulder-high to the diriver/passenger on the LC). Sitting level with stock suspension. 2nd photo - we had just towed up and down this mountain on forest/gravel roads smoothly and without a problem (we do this routinely).

1) the rig
IMGP3268.jpg

2) the mountain we'd just gone up/down
IMGP3261.jpg

Not to throw cold water on the party, but Toyota does not recommend their use. That being said, I've used one to tow a 3500 lb trailer. I now use airbags and that's good enough.

Used WD hith I'll sell cheap and you can make the check payable to Troop 774 so it's tax deductible too!

would by it but just picked one up. True Toyota does not but they don't recommend lifts, winches, or cb radios either so I guess most of us would be in trouble if we played by the book thanx for the reply all inputs appreciated.

Love em... I tow an 80 with my tahoe and the distribution hitch makes a big difference. Doesnt float as much.

Not to throw cold water on the party, but Toyota does not recommend their use. That being said, I've used one to tow a 3500 lb trailer. I now use airbags and that's good enough.

Used WD hith I'll sell cheap and you can make the check payable to Troop 774 so it's tax deductible too!

I have the airbags too (with the WD hitch). Problem is my driver's side air line keeps pulling out of the bag, probably when the suspension is articulated in day to day driving. Airbags are good for road towing, but unreliable for off-road articulation.

I agree on the airbags no problem with them and they do there job holding the rear end up but when hooked to the trailer it still pulls the front end up drastically with out the bars on. Towed my camper yesterday with it and it was night and day with the bars on vs just the air bags btw I weighed the tongue on that trailer 650 pounds and that is with no water in the storage tank:whoops:. lol

I just put some on my 20ft car hauler, my tow rig is a f250 but the tounge weight was very high because the trailer was custom made to a pull behing but it was designed to be a goose neck. so with a cruiser or full size 1/2ton truck on the trailer it was weighing in around 9500lbs trailer weighs in at 3k and it really squated the ford that has a add a leaf and over load springs and when pulled there was alot of vibrations but after the WD hitch it dont even hardly squat the truck and the trailer pulls smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom