weBoost Drive Reach Overland Detailed Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Worked great on my Taco with minor modifications
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, heavily modified for off-road use.
Primary Purpose: Off-Roading, Overlanding, and Camping.
Method of Testing: Three SpeedTests at three locations on both the T-Mobile and Verizon Network using an iPhone X (T-Mobile) and Google Pixel 5 (Verizon).
Note: The Verizon network/coverage is much better in Montana than T-Mobile.
1672248859982.png

1672249016905.png

Results:
1) T-Mobile without weBoost average was 3.97 Mbps, T-Mobile with weBoost average was 4.11 Mbps.
2) Verizon without weBoost average was 11.12 Mbps, Verizon with weBoost average was 11.69 Mbps.
3) In a remote "no service" area (Pryor Road), T-Mobile did not improve. This is expected given there was likely no signal in the first place.
4) Verizon with weBoost in the same remote "no service" area gave me .26 Mbps and .51 Mbps when on, and no service when weBoost was off. This was unexpected, and appears to be the result of the fact that although my cell phone could not detect a signal with the weBoost off, it did detect a signal (however weak) which was then amplified when the weBoost was on. It allowed me to make calls and send/receive text messages, and very slow webpage loading (400-500 ms), when I otherwise would not have had service.
Installation:
1) Installation was relatively straightforward, but the mounting hardware for the overland mounting bracket needs improvement. The fasteners provided did not work on the Tacoma OEM bed rails. The 4 fasteners were too long, and the four other fasteners were way too short. I had to cut 3/8" off of the longer fasteners to make it work. I botched the first one with a cutting wheel, and it mushroomed out so I had to cut it again and it was too short. The next try I used a hacksaw and carefully made my cuts, which worked well. weBoost should consider providing two additional fasteners (that aren't as long) for OEM bed rails.
2) The overland folding mounting bracket with rotating base plate is very nice and sturdy. I had to rotate the base plate horizontally so that I could mount it on my OEM bed rail with two fasteners. Simple enough with a 5/32 allen wrench (not provided), I removed the four screws on the base plate and rotated it 90 degrees and then re-installed the screws. Mounting the base on the bed rail allows me to stow the antenna under my tonneau cover for city driving, and so nobody steals it. When off-roading I remove my tonneau cover anyway to get access to my Max Trax and other recovery equipment in the bed of the truck. With the tonneau cover removed, I simply pop out the locking mechanism on the base and rotate the antenna 90 degrees perpendicular to the truck, and then lock it back in place. The spring is very well made allowing for some movement when the antenna makes contact with branches. However, it doesn't move too much with normal driving or wind resistance. It is enclosed so you don't have to worry about dirt getting in it (very well thought out).
3) No hardwiring required, everything is plug and play and run off of the 12V cigarette lighter (major win).
4) I mounted my antenna with the locking mechanism facing the cab so that the coax cable exit (side exit adapter) was facing down to avoid dirt and grime from getting in it. I then routed the coax cable over the bed into my cab. I made a drip loop to prevent water and moisture from running along the coax cable and into the cab. I pushed the drip loop behind the weather-stripping between the truck bed and the cab. I will likely zip tie it later to be safe. I then routed the coax cable through the third door on the access cab between the rubber OEM conduit for the door. I then ran the coax cable along the trim under my floor mat and connected it to the red amplifier/booster which I mounted under a wood platform I created. I am going to rhinocoat the platform eventually. I mounted the internal antenna with velcro positioned next to the gear shifter facing the passenger seat. I then tucked all cables under the center console trim. My 2017 Tacoma has a wireless charger/tray. I was going to mount the internal antenna close to this tray since that is where my phone will be. However, I noticed slight interference from the wireless charger when the weBoost was on, so I moved the internal antenna further away, and do not have that problem anymore. Something to consider in newer vehicles.
Summary: So is it worth it? Depends. Minor improvements were found in areas that had weak to decent coverage. However, the fact that I was able to get service when my phone didn't register any service at all is extremely comforting for emergency situations. I would not rely on this however. I have a Ham radio as most overlanders and off-roader's do which is great for emergencies. Note: The weBoost cannot boost a signal that isn't there (as in very remote areas or National Forest/BLM land, but it can boost a very weak signal (and in my case one that my phone didn't even register) so that you can make that very important call or text.

Disclaimer: I received this product free from REI in exchange for an honest review (and about 10 hours of my time). @weBoost , @rei, #reiproductadvisors.

Yellowstone panoramic.jpg

Back.jpg

Cab2.jpg

Pryor Road.jpg

PXL_20221226_225201861.jpg

Thanks for the detailed review. This is an upgrade on my list for 2023.

I got a Starlink RV which has worked well but it’s a little power hungry and a few times a hassle to set up to find a clear line of site free of trees from our National Park campsite.

We installed one of these a few months back and have been really happy with it. Luckily we haven't had an emergency that has required reaching out for help. First trip with it confirmed we could text in an area up on Mt St Helens where we previously had zero service. Great piece of mind.
A few spots along the Washington coast go from dead zones to full internet access with a flip of the switch. Streaming music also continues well into areas where we would typically have to switch to downloads. It's been pretty great.

Obviously it won't give you service if there literally isn't any to give, but it absolutely will take what's available and make it usable. It has been well worth the price for us so far.

I had a dream that it would create a nice bubble of cell service in the rooftop tent, but you do need to have your device fairly close to the antenna extension for the best signal. Ours rests behind the cupholders between the front seats. Let's us place it as close as we need to phone/tablet when we want to check in on things.

1679803253436.png

does that thing amplify strongly in the "return" direction (as in TX from your phone)?

(btw, OP, good for you on not being an automatic suck-up to freebie providers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom