Weatherproof Anderson SB50 Solar Connect (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
So, on my previous trailer (TrailTailor's) I wanted the Victron solar controller mounted inside the nose box with a weatherproof connection through the sidewall of the nose box. I used a Hubbell Watertight receptacle with NEMA L6-20R (#HBL67W48BK with NEMA 30A/125V outlet) and then made a custom pigtail with an Anderson Powerpole SB50 on one end and a mating 30A/125V plug on the other. This allowed plugging my solar panel lead with SB50 connector into the receptacle without leaving the lid of the nose box open. It worked great. And the Hubbell receptacle proved to be truly water (and therefore dust...) tight.

But this time, for doing the same on the nose box of the Escape 15A I decided to try to retrofit an SB50 connector directly into the body of the Hubbell thereby eliminating the adapter connector pigtail.

For those with a 3D printer this would be a cleaner and arguably easier little project but since I don't have a 3D printer I opted to use JB Weld Plastic Bonder to fill the void and to make the whole assembly into one solid piece.

I used a short piece of 1-1/2" Schedule 80 PVC pipe since it had, more or less, the exact ID and OD to mate the SB50 to the rubber-like shell of the Hubbell outlet. Since I have not used epoxy or "plastic bonder" of any kind to bond to a rubber like material I had no idea if it, even the special plastic epoxy, would bond securely, but it did! It turned out great and works perfectly!

IMG_7881.JPG

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom