Waterpump exploded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello mudders,

Truck is a 1990 pickup. 22RE engine. Waterpump just blew apart (bearings) and I had to be towed home. Temperature indicator went to hot, but I got it off the highway very quickly. Fan blades shredded on the main engine pulley. My plan is to get another waterpump and fan and install it. I'm hoping there is no engine damage due to the brief hot temperature. Was still sounding fine when I got it off the road. Any advice would be appreciated.

Need pictures!

use plenty of penetrating oil on the water pump bolts and go slow. you dont want to snap them like I did.

mark where the bolts come from, and consider replacing them if they're questionable looking.

check to make sure radiator didn't get hit

I will post pix tomorrow. I just came in from pulling the wreckage off. Fan is destroyed. Most water pump bolts were damaged also. Waiting for another assembly. Should get it tomorrow afternoon.

Yes. I got all the bolts off. At least 4 were wrecked by the waterpump hitting them. Rad took some impact. I will test it for leaks. New (used) assembly should be her by tomorrow aft.

Also, Toyota's parts department was closed by the time I got home. Anybody have a rough idea of how much a new waterpump and fan assembly would cost from Toyota?

toyota fan part number 16361-38010 $61.71 USD

toyota water pump part number 1610039-34683 $92.00 USD

but im not sure if thats right though on part #s or price . I got this info off internet

Last edited:
water pump and rad photos

Photos of rad and water pump/fan assembly.

DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0501.jpg

DSCN0502.jpg

My usual parts supplier is out of water pump and fan assemblies for the 22RE. Anybody with a line on a new or used one at a reasonable price, please let me know. Location is Vancouver, BC. Canada.

Do you have Bap auto parts up there? They should have them.

Also, FYI I would not buy from Toyota. Toyota contracts with parts supplier Aisin and they make them. So go to your local parts supply house and ask for an Aisin brand water pump.

I don't think we have BAP up here. I will check on the Aisin pump. Aisin is the original that blew apart. Looks like I found a new fan. Should get it tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom