Was the hzj77 jdm only? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

does anyone know if the hzj77 was only offered for JDM? I’ve been. Lazily searching for a LHD one for ages, but have never found one. Seems like any time I find a lhd 4 door in Europe, it is not a 1hz model, or the Prado version.

I’m not technically averse
To one of those options, just wanted an actual LHD hzj77. Figured I’d ask if that even exists at this point!
Thanks!
Abe

I came across one in LHD once. It had me fooled, it was a conversion from a Prado.

Yes you are right, PZ/HZJ77 is a JDM only Cruiser.

Cheers

I recently drove a LHD LJ77 and although it seriously lacked “get-up & go” even with a 5 speed, it impressed me in other ways. Perhaps an engine swap? 😊

I recently drove a LHD LJ77 and although it seriously lacked “get-up & go” even with a 5 speed, it impressed me in other ways. Perhaps an engine swap? 😊
Kzj77/78 is far superior to me then the hzj77 , engines make about the same hp but the coil springs make all the difference for daily driving .

General rule of thumb is that if the specific model is not mentioned in any English printed Toyota body and chassis shop manual, it is most likely JDM.

Thanks for the insights everyone! That’s a bummer to hear, but certainly explains why I haven’t ever found one! I’m not against rhd but certainly prefer LHD for a daily driver.

I don’t actually have any real experience with the prados/“light duty” cruisers. I’ve just been scared off by the “light duty” moniker that people throw on them. It sounds like I should defintely give the KZJ a closer look!

thanks!
Abe

@gr8ful .... “ I’ve just been scared off by the “light duty” moniker that people throw on them.”
—————————————————————————————————————-

I would venture a guess that the bulk of those people doing “the throwing” have never even driven a “light duty“ Cruiser.

@gr8ful .... “ I’ve just been scared off by the “light duty” moniker that people throw on them.”
—————————————————————————————————————-

I would venture a guess that the bulk of those people doing “the throwing” have never even driven a “light duty“ Cruiser.
A d in truth, I’m more of a light duty guy in all honesty. Camping & medium trails. Nothing hard core, and I’ll almost always take the bypass instead of try an obstacle because I don’t want to break something just to see if I can clear a rock. I’m just trying to see what’s around the next bend, most of the time!

To my knowledge the KZJ78 is also a JDM/RHD only.
But you can find some LHD LJ78 in eastern Europe or some African countries.

I've seen a few LJ78 transformed in KZJ78 or some RHD transformed in LHD but they are not original.

A d in truth, I’m more of a light duty guy in all honesty. Camping & medium trails. Nothing hard core, and I’ll almost always take the bypass instead of try an obstacle because I don’t want to break something just to see if I can clear a rock. I’m just trying to see what’s around the next bend, most of the time!
A coil sprung rig should have better clearance than one "upgraded" to wagon springs, all else being equal... :)

To my knowledge the KZJ78 is also a JDM/RHD only.
But you can find some LHD LJ78 in eastern Europe or some African countries.

I've seen a few LJ78 transformed in KZJ78 or some RHD transformed in LHD but they are not original.
Ask @joekatana but I think there are Euro spec LHD KZJ7* models out there with a more desirable injection pump (no electronics).

Ask @joekatana but I think there are Euro spec LHD KZJ7* models out there with a more desirable injection pump (no electronics).
The 70 and 73 with 1KZ have the manual IP but I never had a kzj77/78 yet so not sure what ip they are using but they do exist in lhd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom