warning lights, won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been driving my son's FJ Cruiser for a few months while he is working out of town, so I'm not very familiar with these vehicles. I have an FJ 40 and an FJ 60. Today I was driving it, and the radio started acting squirrely. Then I noticed nearly all of the warning lights came on. The one with the icon of the battery, as well as the one that said the emergency brake was on, which it wasn't, and some other yellow lights. The amperage meter was 3/8 of the way toward negative. When I read the owners' manual it said if the battery light or the brake light come on, stop the vehicle and call the dealer immediately. Well I stopped to try and figure things out. I was going to drive the 4 blocks left to go home, but the car is now stone cold dead. It absolutely won't turn over. Is this simply a battery problem, or something more? The battery is 16 months old, and it's a 3 year old battery.

Is this simply a battery problem, or something more? The battery is 16 months old, and it's a 3 year old battery.

Sounds like battery, possibly alternator but confused as to how old the battery is due to your post. Have you tried to jump it yet or use another battery, that's where I'd start...

MTBCoach; As stated in my post, the battery is 16 months old. It is date stamped 9/12, and it's a 3 year battery. It says "Duramax 3 Year" or something like that. I'm going to put my battery tester on it, and will probably pull it out and get another one. The thing that seems odd to me is there have been no obvious battery problems until yesterday. Every car I ever had gave some warning if the battery was about to go. Usually starting was difficult, or the lights were dim if you put them on without the engine running, etc. Even with nearly dead batteries you can usually get them to recover somewhat and least get the engine to turn over. Before this happened, it started and ran fine. Now it's just stone cold dead like someone flipped a switch. I wonder if the computer shut off the car, and I'll be forced to tow it to the dealership.

Jump it and see f the lights go away. If not check the battery amps with a volt meter and make sure that they're with in specs. If not remove the alternator and take it somewhere to haw them test it. I had the same issue and ha a dead alternator that was over charging my battery.

Sent using a phone with auto correct

The battery is 16 months old, and it's a 3 year old battery.

MTBCoach; As stated in my post, the battery is 16 months old. It is date stamped 9/12, and it's a 3 year battery. It says "Duramax 3 Year" or something like that. I'm going to put my battery tester on it, and will probably pull it out and get another one. The thing that seems odd to me is there have been no obvious battery problems until yesterday. Every car I ever had gave some warning if the battery was about to go. Usually starting was difficult, or the lights were dim if you put them on without the engine running, etc. Even with nearly dead batteries you can usually get them to recover somewhat and least get the engine to turn over. Before this happened, it started and ran fine. Now it's just stone cold dead like someone flipped a switch. I wonder if the computer shut off the car, and I'll be forced to tow it to the dealership.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't able to discern the difference when you used the same words in your description.

Regardless, yes, today's batteries seem to just die without warning. As suggested, try jumping it, using a "good" battery or get a new one...

I was able to jump start it. Then, I put my tester on it, and it was bad, so I pulled the battery and took it back to Sam's Club. Fortunately I found the receipt in the glove box. I thought they were going to prorate it, but the gave me a brand new battery for almost free. The same battery now costs $10.66 more than the old one which is all they charged me. I told them I had used up almost half of the 36 months of the warranty, but they went ahead and gave it to me anyway. I saved about $40. I didn't have time to put it in yet, but will do so tomorrow.
I hate the way they write the owner's manuals for cars these days. When I read up on the warning lights it said if the battery icon appeared, for example, to stop the car immediately and have it towed to the nearest dealer. It didn't say you might just need a jump or a new battery. I guess they want the dealers to be able to make as much money as possible. If I had done that it would have cost a couple of hundred dollars instead of ten.

Maybe not so simple. I put the battery in and it starts right up, but the "battery" warning light still comes on. As you noted, Mtbcoach, that light can indicate either a problem with the battery or with the alternator. The voltmeter shows a reading that was higher than when I jump-started it, but it's below the mark where it should be as described in the owner's manual. So, I guess I need a new alternator. It seems that the battery ran down because the alternator was going bad. I must not have noticed the "battery" warning light before. I've changed alternators on other vehicles, including and FJ 40, but it looks like it would be difficult on an FJ Cruiser. It seems harder to get to. Has anyone on this board done it? Any tips?

Yes, its tighter than your FJ40 but a straight forward task, 1 1/2 banana job. Many consider upgrading to a higher capacity alternator. Your local auto store will set you back ~$150, high output units are triple that, at least....

Paul: What turned out to be your issue? I have what seems like the exact problem.. Changed both the battery and the alternator and still no joy.. Starts up once with the dash still lit up like an Xmas tree.. battery drains quickly :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom