WANTED: '89 FJ62 Proportioning Valve & a Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

M P

Threads
SO- my truck was pulling sharply to the left while braking. After replacing both front calipers and pads, my mechanic told me he'd traced the problem to the P Valve - he said he'd taken it apart and that it was rusted out and pretty much done.

He said he'd ordered a replacement, which you can see here:

Load Sensing Brake Proportioning Valve FJ62 1988-1990 [47910-60060] - $249.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

But that when it arrived it wouldn't fit on my truck. He said the '89 must be different from all the other years - which doesn't sound right to me. He says he's going to search ebay for a used one from another '89 FJ62, buy it, take it apart, and decide if it's in good enough shape to go on my truck.

Can anyone tell me for sure if the '89 P Valve is, in fact, different from an '88, or '89, or any other FJ62? SHOULD the above part fit? He did show me that mine is black- where the above valve is blue... but I dunno. Armando at K&H Imports has been great so far, and I trust him, but I'm looking for a second opinion here.

The problem (pulling left while braking) has been solved (for now- he put my old valve back on after cleaning it out) - but he says it's just a matter of time before the valve has to be replaced.

Any insight/help would be appreciated.

M

Last edited:
You can buy an aftermarket Load Sensing Proportioning Valve (LSPV) that can be manually adjusted from summit racing or many other places. The fact that you are trying to buy a really expensive used one is a mess unless you are a purist who wants to keep the truck as stock as possible.

If your truck is pulling I'd really go back and check the rear drum brakes again. They are known to get dirty with age and need some love. Very easy to replace the parts via rockauto which sells all the pieces.

Has the ebrake cable been checked? Is it catching and sticking on one side? While it is possible that the LSPV may be causing it, I have never heard of such a thing. Time for a new mechanic that can fix things rather than throw parts at it?

I had no idea used LSPV's were running almost $200! I'll have to take mine off and sell it!

Specter is selling them for $190 like you referenced. Call them. They will know if there is a difference between the 88 and 89. I do no think so but I cannot confirm.
Search by Part Number 086-60

Where in CA are you located?

Last edited:
You can buy an aftermarket Load Sensing Proportioning Valve (LSPV) that can be manually adjusted from summit racing or many other places. The fact that you are trying to buy a really expensive used one is a mess unless you are a purist who wants to keep the truck as stock as possible.

If your truck is pulling I'd really go back and check the rear drum brakes again. They are known to get dirty with age and need some love. Very easy to replace the parts via rockauto which sells all the pieces.

Has the ebrake cable been checked? Is it catching and sticking on one side? While it is possible that the LSPV may be causing it, I have never heard of such a thing. Time for a new mechanic that can fix things rather than throw parts at it?

I had no idea used LSPV's were running almost $200! I'll have to take mine off and sell it!

Specter is selling them for $190 like you referenced. Call them. They will know if there is a difference between the 88 and 89. I do no think so but I cannot confirm.
Search by Part Number 086-60

Where in CA are you located?

I’m not a purist at all. I’ve had the truck for less than a year and am just trying to get it to the place where I have enough faith that it’s mechanically sound to take it off road/camping for a bit. I don’t wanna get stranded with a 20 mile hike to cell service.

From what I’ve been reading it’s possible one of the previous owners rigged a different type of valve, as the truck does have an OME Lift- which can sometimes affect placement of the PValve as I understand it.

The mechanical PValve sounds like a good solution. Thanks for the links. I’m definitely gonna look into it.

The ebrake cable has been checked and is good.

Rear cylinders and brakes were replaced a few months back. Truck is stopping well/straight now, so I’m thinking my mechanic must have both adjusted them and the alignment to solve the problem.

I live in Los Angeles in the hills. I’ve been going to Armando at K&H Imports- who I like and has been great to me so far.

How far North of LA are you? Who do you use?

Last edited:
The part you linked to is the correct part listed in the EPC for 88-90 FJ62 ... 47910-60060

I haven't tried, but I'm told a 1989 4Runner LSPV works: 47910-35080 and still available new from Toyota for $175-ish.

80-series is 47910-60090 and looks the same...

A picture of what you have on there may help, since it could have been swapped with a FJ60 version.

FWIW, K&H is very good, but I haven't been there since Richard retired. Armondo bought him out?

@Randy88FJ62 - what do you have on yours?

Mark at www.marksoffroad.net may have a used one, though he doesn't work on fuel-injection cruisers. He's in Burbank. 818-953-9230

I am running the stock LSPV and with my SOA 6" lift I literally welded the LSPV arm to the rear shock tower. It's a ghetto adjustment but it's set to max load forever. If I got bored I could plumb in the mechanical one which a lot of people do on here.

M P,
K&H is a reputable shop in the area with many of my club members going there. I am the president of the LA Country Trailcrew 4x4 club. Feel free to come to our meeting on November 7th in santa clarita. pm me for details. Our club takes care of eachother and we work on eachother's vehicles. I did my rear brake lines from scratch and it wouldn't be hard to plumb and rig a manual LSPV in your truck.

Not sure - I never met Richard, though I went to K&H based on the good reputation he must have built there - I've only ever dealt with Armando - I assume he bought Richard out. Armando has been great, but I'm also dealing with a steep learning curve and am a first time old truck owner. I'm glad to hear that Randy gives them the thumbs up.

Thanks for your help.

M

Last edited:
Randy

Thanks so much. Great to meet you. I will definitely come to the meeting on the 7th and look forward to learning a lot with you guys, and helping out as much as I can.

Also, will PM

ps - here are pics of my valve as it is now. At least I know it's a Toyota P Valve... not sure why the standard FJ62 one won't fit... maybe a previous owner switched it out for a 4 Runner valve?

The LSPV on my HJ60 LHD rotted away. Genuine number: 47910-60060.
New original no longer available.
I ordered a LSPV on AliExpress with number 47910-35320 because it looks the same on photo. It came in a box with number 47910-27081 and text ‘Liteace’. Around +/- 30 dollar. Same dimensions, quality looks okay.
There is an other number they use on Ali: 47910-26040, I think that is the RHD-versio, but not sure.

0814E67E-52E9-4B5B-ABE6-1275BB6930AC.jpeg

The part number you ordered is for a Tacoma

1634910904515.png

The part number on the box is for a Liteace (passenger van per Google)

1634910846009.png

The LSPV adjusts the braking force to the rear brakes depending on the load the truck is carrying. I would think how much the braking force is adjusted depends on deflection of the body in relation to the frame (factor related to the suspension springs), the size of the brake drums and wheels, etc., which are vehicle specific. The FSM does indicate that some adjustment is available to dial in the LPSV. You should certainly go through this procedure after installation to make sure you can adjust the new one properly.

Here is a thread with some more detail how the LSPV works. Good Luck. LSPV - What is it? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lspv-what-is-it.218582/

What i did on my firstgen 4runner was use an adjustable turnbuckle on the stock LSPV. I cut the arm to be a few inches short instead of being connected to the axle and welded one end of the turnbuckle to the lspv arm and mounted the other end to my frame rail, then i adjusted the arm with the turnbuckle using a gravel road until the brakes locked up how i wanted them to. If you dont want to use an adjustable valve near the MC you could always go this route, it was very cost effective.

Yours seems to be toast though, so maybe the adjustable one up near the MC is the move

My LSPV was a problem for the apk road check but when I took it apart nothing was wrong, it is just a little movement, the iron arm was bend.

Now this year there was brake difference because the axle seal was leaking diff oil to the brake drum on one side, so while there always replace that seal and make sure diff breather works so hot oil is not expanding trough the (worn) seal.

Made a video, had no clue what it was doing, also don't forget it has a separate 5th bleeder:

part number:

Toyota 4791060060 VALVE ASSY, LOAD SENSING PROPORTIONING
Not Available:
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine ... 6000960839

not at euro4x4: Proportioning valve - https://www.euro4x4parts.com/en/parts/ref=BRP1118/proportioning-valve/oe=47910-60060_47910-60020_47910-60040
But they mention:
Equivalent to
47910-60060 Not Available
47910-60020 Not Available
47910-60040 Not Available

2_683fa4c3df5a4849b4c83eb5773316c6.jpg

2_53a8d490a2c3dfa5500df2a93925af8a.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom