want to grease my LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just wondering what kind of grease I should use to lube all the grease fittings on my 96 lx450? Can I use a general purpose grease or is there a specific type I should look for? Approximately how many grease nipples are underneath the vehicle and where? Also after reading so many negative articles on using synthetic oil (leaking problems) would I be best to stay with a good quality regular motor oil? Thanks in advance to all!! - Tim in Calgary

Tim,

Use the search feature for grease types. General purpose on the driveshafts (do the search on NOT overfilling the rear shaft to avoid damage), moly grease in the birfield fill plugs.

Motor oil is your call. If it's leaking, maybe not, if it's not leaking go for better protection if you're hard on the truck. Good dino oil is fine if you're good about changing it and much cheaper.

DougM

thanks for the info!

IdahoDoug said:
Tim,

Use the search feature for grease types. General purpose on the driveshafts (do the search on NOT overfilling the rear shaft to avoid damage), moly grease in the birfield fill plugs.

Motor oil is your call. If it's leaking, maybe not, if it's not leaking go for better protection if you're hard on the truck. Good dino oil is fine if you're good about changing it and much cheaper.

DougM
Hi Doug- thanks alot for your helpful info! - I do faithfully change my oil every 5,000km or 3,000 miles as well as maintenance so will probably skip the synthetic. your ''cross the border'' neighbor - Tim :cheers:

Tim

If you notice a clunk or thud upon stopping or starting (sometimes there isn't any audible noise, but you can feel it in the brake pedal) you may need to separate your driveshaft halves to clean and re-grease the splines on the slip yoke. Do some searching and you'll learn all there is to know! If the splines are not properly greased they bind when the shaft tries to change length in response to suspension movement.

tarbe said:
Tim

If you notice a clunk or thud upon stopping or starting (sometimes there isn't any audible noise, but you can feel it in the brake pedal) you may need to separate your driveshaft halves to clean and re-grease the splines on the slip yoke. Do some searching and you'll learn all there is to know! If the splines are not properly greased they bind when the shaft tries to change length in response to suspension movement.
Tim - I'm learning alot from your info!! - thanks kindly!! Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom