want to buy 1990-1994 land cruiser, need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello my name is Mike.

I have been looking at these forums for about 2 days now and been doing research.

I need a daily driver and the Land cruiser fits my needs to the tee. My new job in building develpment require that I go to job sites, and these site or no place for my GTO.

BUT, i have no clue about off road SUVS.

I will be buying a land cruiser in the next month and want to know what options to look for, what I will need and what kind of critical service these things need.

I am sorry for posting like a total newbie, but AI really need info.

and if anyone is selling theres I need to spend under $7000

thanks

a quick search under "noobie" or "newbie" will likely net you some shopping guidelines...

93-97 are improved motor, 91-92 are the anemic 3FE, 90 is a 62-series...
IMO, definitely find diff locks, gotta be 93+ for that....

and, IMO, beyond that, shop condition and maintenance...mileage is relevant, but good maintenance overides all.

Step one after purchase is a fluid exchange...throughout....or trusting that the PO covered much of that (mine did, and he's on the forum....which helps).

Bought my 96 in March for $11k...115k on the ticker, factory diff locks, no mods otherwise. No complaints.

seeing your 2nd post, I can't stress enuf how much you will learn with the "search" function ;)

oh, and welcome! :flipoff2:

LOL. I know I mod a GTO forum, and am always telling the newbs about the search function

How's this work? Can mods sniff each other out? :D

Where do you live? Given you $7k budget, I'd suggest you look for a 93 or 94 FZJ80. Are you planning on using this only for work or will you be planning on doing some serious/hard-core off-road travel with this rig eventually?

it will be taken on a trail once a year for my anual camping retreat. mainly sand and mud with water.

but 99% for a daily driver and going to job sites.

what are BIRFS, and all the other lingo you guys use?

birf = birfield, somewhat like a CV joint on steroids, but there are notable diffrences

a birf allow the front wheels to turn wile being driven,

they are expensive and will fail if not taken care of, on a new to you cruiser you will most liekly need to do a birf repack,

http://george4wd.taskled.com/birfield.html

there has been a lot of discussion about birfields both on this forum and on the web

there is also a birfield DVD that would be good to have before you do your first one.

The reason why I asked about your intended use was to try to determine if you could expand your search to look for any FZJ80 or if you should limit yourself to one with OEM locking diffs. It doesn't sound like you'd need the diff locks...

That should make your search a bit easier...

Welcome aboard :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom