VVTI Actuator Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently did my timing belt on a 2006 LX470. It's been over due @ 250k miles. I did tackle the cam seals since it had an oil leak down the passenger side of the front of the engine. The oil leak eventually caused the alternator to go out on a road trip a year ago.

I cleaned the whole front cover of oil sludge when I did the timing belt so I could tell if any new leaks developed. After completing the timing belt, I drove around the block a bit and inspected inside the timing covers and noticed oil.

I tore everything down again and it seems like it may be leaking from the VVTI actuators (oil is inside the cam gears). I did not notice any oil at the bottom of the cam seals.

Has anyone had an oil leak from the VVTI actuators on the 4.7? I haven't seen anything when I have searched on the forum. I see people change out the o-ring or use RTV on different Toyota VVTI cams, but not the ones found on these trucks.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues on these and what they eventually did to fix the leak. I leaning towards ordering new actuators, but want to see what others have done.

20230616_123903.jpg
20230616_124055.jpg
20230616_125754.jpg

Last edited:
is this going to turn out a hard to install seal like the front dif that usually leaks a few times before you get the depth right?
What does the book say?
there isn't much out there. I don't know anyone that's replaced the vvti verision. I'm at 250+ and mine aren't.
What about the oil control valve on top or the inboard near corner of the valve cover?
Did you drive around with the upper plastic cam cover removed?
I don't know where the oil control valves would leak down to, but they are higher than that gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom