volvo 240 electrical problem help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rutherfoto.com
I know it's not LC talk, but I was wondering if anyone had thoughts...

My sister's volvo 240 has been intermittently dying. About once a week, she would come out to the car and it would not start. (battery seemingly dead) Then about a week ago, it died while she was driving it.

Since then I have:

-Replaced the battery
-replaced the alternator
-replaced all belts
-full tune up (cap/rotor/wires, ect)

It seems my *fixes* worked for about two weeks until this a.m when we are back to square one, and the car would not start (dead Battery) She said last night the lights were being wierd and intermittently dimming and brightening. I thought maybe voltage regulator, but that is new as it is part of the alternator.

We successfully jumped the car, and drove it home though...

SO...my thoughts are:

-electrical leak, sucking the battery down over night
-evil squirrels that live off battery acid

ANy thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers

What year 240? There's a way to check for codes in the engine system of the older ones, similar to the Toyotas, but a little different. I'd look it up in my Haynes manual, but I haven't unpacked that box yet, can't even find that box.

GF had a 1990 240DL, amazingly easy to work on, except under the dash.

What year 240? There's a way to check for codes in the engine system of the older ones, similar to the Toyotas, but a little different. I'd look it up in my Haynes manual, but I haven't unpacked that box yet, can't even find that box.

GF had a 1990 240DL, amazingly easy to work on, except under the dash.

1992 240DL

...sister just bought a haynes manual...I'll check in there.

I had one of those a few years back. There is a big fuse that gets corroded, it sits above the dside front fender inside the engine bay..... IPD used to sell a heavy duty kit to replace it. It can cause a ton of little problems... let me do some digging, might not be your issue but I recall it being a good thing to upgrade regardless.

off to google...

Thanks Dave, I order this for my sis's car. That's a great volvo site...I was drooling over some 240 turbo wagons in the classified section!

The problem ended up being a bad ground wire to the alternator..

:beer:

Hey so i have a similar problem i have an 84 volvo 242 ran great then one morning i had the car runing turned on the heater boom car shut off like it has no battery in it had it tested its 100% cleaned my terminals and clean the ground lead to the block still nothing no click no lights no power

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom