Voltage regulator for alternator upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My reg died on my old 55amp om alternator. Whilst hunting around for a reg which was not a rip off, I thought I would try out the bosch 80 amp alternator upgrade from ebay. It works ok so far (1 month), can run lights, wipers and a bit of fan whilst charging the battery now, but don't trust new stuff much and have heard the pumps fail. Finally sourced a reg from 'spareto' for a fair price for the original alternator. But, the om reg does not fit the new bosch alternator.
Everything is fine at present but the first thing to go is the reg from experience so like to keep a spare voltage regulator. Has anyone used the new bosch alternator BXD1336N and found a reg which fits and works?

It would help to tell us what year, what model, what engine Land Cruiser you have.

That way we can assist you better.

1988 hj75 troopy 2h engine, 12v. The alternator with the pump at the back. I think the original alt was 55 amps, the new one is 80 amp/

In this circumstance an external would be easier but my original alternator has an internal reg. The new alternator is also internal. Replacing an internal reg should be a simple screw in replacement, but the new alt is a different bolt configuration and size. I guess one could build a some sort of union but kind of defeats the purpose of having an internal regulator.

Sparky mate told me that an external reg would not work on an internal reg alternator.

I shall post some pics later this eve. I think a few of these new bosch alternators were made (made in Taiwan, so not old school bosch)), comes with 5 year warranty (I reckon you would have to hassle). The old alternator is not all that easy to get parts for anymore, like the brush holder and brushes. The regulator typically goes for around $90 aud, 'spareto' has them for about $5 aud.

I have contacted bosch, so I shall what sort of reply they have.
Thanks for reply Cold Taco

Hmm bosch reckons it has an external reg, but it works and regulates without an external reg. here is the new alt and the old one.
s-l1600-1.jpg
old alt.JPG

Ok, solved my own problem. So the new 'bosch' alternator made in Taiwan in the factory which oex use to own which use to belong to ashdown is made (like everything else new) only to last just enough to keep the consumer happy for a year or two, 5 at max.

You can not get a replacement regulator for it and no supplier really cares, not even bosch. The om reg does not fit the new alternator and the reg which comes with it is solely alternator specific. Basically get a new alternator if this one stuffs up.

So my plan is to keep the old as a spare, stock up on the spare regs from spareto. Very hard to find brushes at a reasonable price, some mitsubishi brushes are the same dimensions but a bit shorter, so may have to suffice. And, keep an eye out for old alternator from a wreck. Perhaps learn how to up the amps on the older style.

They talk about reducing carbon emissions, but the whole of manufacturing is focused on the throw away, quick sale and worry about repercussions later. Toyota and Bosch use to be bastions to quality, but their new stuff can not be trusted now a days. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom