Visiting Colorado in my GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hiluxforever

SILVER Star
Threads
I am going to be in the Denver area week after next. Does anyone have any trail recommendations for running solo without a winch. I have skinny 33" Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs and not running a lift at the moment. Otherwise I am stock. I do have recovery boards, along with other recovery gear.

Last edited:
Plenty of trails up around yankee hill, central city, idaho springs, empire. Was up by Central City yesterday and the trails are wet, but most of the snow is gone. I have only ever needed my winch/lockers for snow drifts in that area. Only downside is there aren't any super interesting obstacles or challenges that I have seen up that way. Not much mud, even when it gets wet here it's still very rocky.

The trail to Bill Moore Lake can be interesting if you take the chute up. Alltrails say it's "hard" but that is a very low bar IMO. You can get all the way to the lake easily if you don't hit deep drifts and aren't retarded.

Last edited:
Plenty of trails up around yankee hill, central city, idaho springs, empire. Was up by Central City yesterday and the trails are wet, but most of the snow is gone. I have only ever needed my winch/lockers for snow drifts in that area. Only downside is there aren't any super interesting obstacles or challenges that I have seen up that way. Not much mud, even when it gets wet here it's still very rocky.

The trail to Bill Moore Lake can be interesting if you take the chute up. Alltrails say it's "hard" but that is a very low bar IMO. You can get all the way to the lake easily if you don't hit deep drifts and aren't retarded.
Thanks, that helps a lot.

Beware you need an OHV permit for any state owned routes, even on a plated vehicle. There should be signs posted where this is applicable.

Beware you need an OHV permit for any state owned routes, even on a plated vehicle. There should be signs posted where this is applicable.
Thanks for the heads-up!

Do you at least have skid plates on the bottom?

No, just the factory ones and will plan accordingly.

I do have a little extra ground clearance with the skinny 33s but not looking for anything that would be too risky with the factory tin can skids.

The trip was a last minute deal, opposed to being something planned which is why I wanted to ask here, since I figured y'all would know what a stock 150 series that the only thing really done to it is my skinnies on FJ steelies.

Reactions: r2m
I saw that Slee has a set of the ARB skids. Thicker than stock with more coverage but not 1/4" steel skids.

To be honest I don't really see a skid for the GX that I am super sold on, so I am tempted to grab them, just to have a bit more protection, while the aftermarket support continues to evolve for the GX side of the 150 platform

I have the ARBs. They work great. Been scratched and dented and they hold up fine.

If you need ¼” steel you drive like a retard.

I have the ARBs. They work great. Been scratched and dented and they hold up fine.

If you need ¼” steel you drive like a retard.
Thanks, thankfully I managed to swallow my beer before squirting it out my nose.

Thanks for that perspective, it was what I was thinking, but always good to check.

• Haha
Reactions: r2m
I saw that Slee has a set of the ARB skids. Thicker than stock with more coverage but not 1/4" steel skids.

To be honest I don't really see a skid for the GX that I am super sold on, so I am tempted to grab them, just to have a bit more protection, while the aftermarket support continues to evolve for the GX side of the 150 platform
Generally, you can't go wrong with Slee designed parts. They are truly designed for serious off roading.

Generally, you can't go wrong with Slee designed parts. They are truly designed for serious off roading.
Thanks for the feedback. I thought they had a really good reputation.

Slee is awesome, it did not disappoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom