Utility trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you going to add shocks? Do you care about changes in ride height relative to how loaded it is?

In my experience you don't get that choice. It either will bounce around with a light to no load and won't change ride height much even when heavily loaded; or you soften the springs by taking the shorter leaves out (first), add shocks for control, and accept that ride height is going to change with loading. I suppose you *might* find the middle ground where it doesn't change height much and it doesn't bounce much, but that's going to be a fair amount of fiddling unless you get lucky.

Some of the unloaded bounce can be removed with low tire pressure. Too low though and you're headed out of control again. The bigger the tire, the lower you can go. Our little tent camp off-road trailer is good at 5 psi in it's 31-10.50's, but it never really gets loaded heavy. I'll bet fully loaded it isn't 1500 lbs.

No, if you don't plan on adding shocks then you'll want the springs to be very stiff or you'll end up with a swaying, bouncing mess that will be dangerous to tow. This is why typical trailer springs are short and have many leaves, trailers usually do not have shocks (M416's et. al. excepted).

Supple ride = soft springs + shocks: ride height varies with loading

Typical trailer ride = short, stiff springs + no shocks: ride height does not vary much with loading

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom