Used 200 series - dealer painting undercarriage.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
LX570s and LC are somewhat hard to find, so I'm looking within 1000 miles of home for a good one. So far, two that I've looked at (online) show the undercarriage has been painted / undercoated. Personally, I'd rather see it before that, so I know how bad the rust may have been.

Would you pass on a use LC/LX that was undercoated from a dealership or individual?

Pic below is one that we are taking a hard look at, but it's 800 miles away! They seem to have painted pretty aggressively! Thoughts?

Untitled.jpg

What is your search criteria?

<175k miles, good service history, not black. Like the 2013s and newer for HID lights, but open to all 200 series. Trying to keep it <$30k ish

Have looked at a few locally. One had a bad repaint, the other had a few accidents.

There is enough rust on the uncoated bits that I'd be concerned they covered up a substantial amount of rust.

LX570s and LC are somewhat hard to find, so I'm looking within 1000 miles of home for a good one. So far, two that I've looked at (online) show the undercarriage has been painted / undercoated. Personally, I'd rather see it before that, so I know how bad the rust may have been.

Would you pass on a use LC/LX that was undercoated from a dealership or individual?

Pic below is one that we are taking a hard look at, but it's 800 miles away! They seem to have painted pretty aggressively! Thoughts?

View attachment 3341250
Take a really hard look. I see evidence of very heavy rust and if that’s just paint covering it up (and not rust treatment) it will make the rust problem much worse. Same with undercoating.

If the coating is new, I'll walk away. It means the dealer spent money to hide the rust, it implies they were concerned about it.

This is a red flag to me. Not necessarily "do not buy under any circumstances," but if I saw a pictures like that, I would only consider it with a local truck that I could inspect in person.

Saw a LC for sale in Denver that lived most of its life in Kansas City that looked like that underneath. Inspected it in person and said "nope!" (But I did get a free test-drive in a Tesla Plaid to make up for the wasted time) :hillbilly:

As one who bought a Land Rover D90 in Palm Beach FL with a newly painted undercarriage and had practically all of it burn off before we got back to LA - I’d pass ! The things we then saw!!

That ad seems like a scam. Dealership is located in Springdale AZ and Springdale AR? Many listings, all about $10k below normal pricing.

That ad seems like a scam. Dealership is located in Springdale AZ and Springdale AR? Many listings, all about $10k below normal pricing.
I didn’t see anything about Arizona, but I didn’t look too closely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom