Urj200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Even though it looks more and more like I will not be getting one, I did notice something on my 2 test drives and I wonder if anyone else has noticed it (for those who have driven a 200) ...What did you think about the view of the hood from the drivers seat?? I thought the humps on the L and R sides were kind of strange to look at. At least strange when compared to the flowing lines of the hood on the 100. I hope that made sense. That's the best way I can describe it....Maybe DTT can be more specific since he owns one ....

:cheers:

To be honest I never looked at the hood that much. Now that you do mention it , I see the 'wave' look.
It doesn't bother me and I don't really notice.

To be honest I never looked at the hood that much. Now that you do mention it , I see the 'wave' look.
It doesn't bother me and I don't really notice.

I hate the new jutting lights Toyota is putting on all its new vehicles (not just the SUVs), and I can just see them getting smashed offroad. But, one thing that they may provide is a good indexing tool for knowing where the edge of the vehicle is, when negotiating a narrow trail. I usually have to rely on my bullbar to see that, with the curvy hoods that modern trucks have (even the 80 Series).

dtt255, next time you're on the Rubicon with your truck, check that out for us, 'kay? ;)

I hate the new jutting lights Toyota is putting on all its new vehicles (not just the SUVs), and I can just see them getting smashed offroad. But, one thing that they may provide is a good indexing tool for knowing where the edge of the vehicle is, when negotiating a narrow trail. I usually have to rely on my bullbar to see that, with the curvy hoods that modern trucks have (even the 80 Series).

dtt255, next time you're on the Rubicon with your truck, check that out for us, 'kay? ;)
All this "smashed offroad" terminology. The FJCruiser Trail team took a stock FJ through the Rubicon trails in 3 days without a single dent in the sheetmetal. So I really think that if you have a new 200 series, you wont be driving it carelessly in the Rubicon.. right? If anything, the bumpers and running boards are going to be getting a beating from hell, but thats about it.

All this "smashed offroad" terminology. The FJCruiser Trail team took a stock FJ through the Rubicon trails in 3 days without a single dent in the sheetmetal. So I really think that if you have a new 200 series, you wont be driving it carelessly in the Rubicon.. right? If anything, the bumpers and running boards are going to be getting a beating from hell, but thats about it.

Not to take away from these truck's abilities, but the

trail treams had a support crew of about 6 people, all professional...

They even had a few mechanics and engineers..No wonder they

made it through with out a scratch..If they "helecoptered" the FJ thru, it couldn't been easier for them..

The average person could render an FJ Cruiser, or Land Cruiser, unusable after a few miles on

the Rubicon..Let's get real!

My comment was partially said tongue-in-cheek, but if you want to get technical, there are a few things to keep in mind:

1.) The FJ is a smaller vehicle than a Cruiser. Much easier to fit on tight trails.
2.) Even for the 100, the only one I know of that went through the Rubicon without MAJOR mechanical and body damage was I4C4LO's (Amando's) and he is a superb driver with a heavily modified truck. I was there watching him do it, watching him keep up with our 80s, and even he didn't escape unscathed. The 200 is even bigger, with longer front/rear overhangs (which is a big problem on this type of trail).
3.) Everything pkfj said.

Not to take away from these truck's abilities, but the

trail treams had a support crew of about 6 people, all professional...

They even had a few mechanics and engineers..No wonder they

made it through with out a scratch..If they "helecoptered" the FJ thru, it couldn't been easier for them..

The average person could render an FJ Cruiser, or Land Cruiser, unusable after a few miles on

the Rubicon..Let's get real!
Buddy, get real, who's going to come crashing through the trails in a LC200 at rediculous speeds and crashing into everything? Even if it didn't have them protruding lights, doesn't mean your going to be driving alot less carelessly.

Wouldn't you think its a smart idea to include a few spare parts in a trail that consists of 3 days travel? If your going to hit the trails without spare parts, then you got to be crazy. No matter what your driving, you gotta have spare parts.

People said that the FJ's incredibly protruding turn signals and tailights were going to get smashed, I and other people that have driven our FJ's carelessly through the trails haven't smashed them yet. I knocked off the front plastic fake silver thing twice and knocked off a rear mudflap, but thats about it.

Buddy, get real, who's going to come crashing through the trails in a LC200 at rediculous speeds and crashing into everything? Even if it didn't have them protruding lights, doesn't mean your going to be driving alot less carelessly.

Wouldn't you think its a smart idea to include a few spare parts in a trail that consists of 3 days travel? If your going to hit the trails without spare parts, then you got to be crazy. No matter what your driving, you gotta have spare parts.

People said that the FJ's incredibly protruding turn signals and tailights were going to get smashed, I and other people that have driven our FJ's carelessly through the trails haven't smashed them yet. I knocked off the front plastic fake silver thing twice and knocked off a rear mudflap, but thats about it.

Spares have nothing to do with it. Yeah, we carry spares. Important stuff like Birfields, driveshafts, axle half shafts. But not spare lamp lenses or sheetmetal. And lots of breakage that you will experience on that trail can't be remedied by a spare part, you need the onboard welder or other major repair tools. Or a good tow strap...

Not trying to be a jerk, but just asking an honest question: have you ever done the Rubicon in a wagon, or at all? Most damage occurs at crawling speeds going about 1 or 2 mph. There's just so much granite and these trucks weigh so much that it sometimes doesn't matter how fast (or slow) you go. Three tons of weight hitting granite at any speed is not a nice sensation.

Anyway, don't get so defensive about the lights. I said that I thought they could actually be an asset! :cheers:

Off-camber, that's the killer. I guess I should clarify, I'm not talking about off-roading on a forest fire trail or a desert wash, I'm talking about pitch-the-side-of-the-truck-into-a-rock-face Sierra granite. I've seen side windows blown out from this type of wheeling, and the windows are much higher than the lights...

Off-camber, that's the killer. I guess I should clarify, I'm not talking about off-roading on a forest fire trail or a desert wash, I'm talking about pitch-the-side-of-the-truck-into-a-rock-face Sierra granite. I've seen side windows blown out from this type of wheeling, and the windows are much higher than the lights...
Don't matter what vehicle your wheeling, anything the size of the 200, the tailights should be the last thing your gonna worry about. You got bulging sheetmetal.

If your going to be worrying about aggressive wheelin thats going to be sheering off your sheetmetal, why do it in the first place? I'm not saying to carry spare parts, im replying to the trail teams crew. And I would love to do the Rubicon, but with the lil time I have, I barely go wheeling anymore.

Don't matter what vehicle your wheeling, anything the size of the 200, the tailights should be the last thing your gonna worry about. You got bulging sheetmetal.

If your going to be worrying about aggressive wheelin thats going to be sheering off your sheetmetal, why do it in the first place? I'm not saying to carry spare parts, im replying to the trail teams crew. And I would love to do the Rubicon, but with the lil time I have, I barely go wheeling anymore.

I agree, but inches count. Especially with design features that serve no function but are purely cosmetic. Why put 'em there? That's my point. Anyway, I really didn't want to get into a philosophical discussion of the merits of a particular lamp design. So if you think they are great and serve some legitimate functional purpose, then more power to you! :cheers:

As for why wheel hard, well, it's like anything else, to challenge yourself and your equipment, to explore the limits, to have fun. I ask, why jump out of a perfectly good airplane, but skydivers have a legitimate right to do what they do.

That said, I am sort of a hypocrite. My 100 will never (at least in the near future) go on a trail like the Rubicon. But I didn't buy it for that; I have other trucks for that purpose.:cheers:

Ummm rubicon? whats that :)

Ummm rubicon? whats that :)
Rubicon is the daddy of all trails :)

If you want your LC to take on it, it has to atleast look somewhat similar to this ;)

129_0511_01z+lexus_gx470+left_front_view.jpg

Rubicon is the daddy of all trails :)

If you want your LC to take on it, it has to atleast look somewhat similar to this ;)

129_0511_01z+lexus_gx470+left_front_view.jpg

I have read those articles on the lexus project. Pretty nice. I need the bumpers, lift etc, before I even think about planning a trip like that.

You're welcome to join us at the next 80Con, either as a driver or passenger. Don't worry, we'll get you through (as long as you don't mind body damage!). Check our Jim Brantley's page that describes our first iteration of this now annual event. Read the commentary and look at the pics:

http://www.realcruiser.com/rub80s/

You're welcome to join us at the next 80Con, either as a driver or passenger. Don't worry, we'll get you through (as long as you don't mind body damage!). Check our Jim Brantley's page that describes our first iteration of this now annual event. Read the commentary and look at the pics:

http://www.realcruiser.com/rub80s/

I would love to. I need to get sliders put on before I go anywhere rocks are going to be present.

How long (distance) is the rubicon? Is it several days or just one day?

I am wondering about gas or any facilities.

I would love to. I need to get sliders put on before I go anywhere rocks are going to be present.

How long (distance) is the rubicon? Is it several days or just one day?

I am wondering about gas or any facilities.

Agreed, sliders are the first, and best, step. But you'll need more than that, especially for a truck that size.

The trail itself is only 12 miles long, with the most intense parts in about a three mile span. But most people take anywhere from two to three days to traverse it due to the type of terrain. It can be done in a day, but that's pushing it for wagons, which typically need much more spotting and recovery time.

Be prepared to wrench on your own truck. Be knowledgeable about it, because no one is likely to know it (due to its newness) or carry spares for it. Make sure it is in tip-top mechanical shape before starting. We'll help out where we can, provide tools and advice and even grunt-work where you need it, but ultimately YOU are responsible for fixing it or getting it off the trail if it is not fixable.

Trust your spotter, but if damage occurs, always remember that it is YOUR fault, not the spotter's.

If you fill up gas at Pollock Pines (assuming you're starting from the Loon Lake side, not Tahoe), you should be good to do the whole trail on a tank of gas. There are some camp toilets, but we usually bring our own and use the pack-it-in-pack-it-out concept. If you roll with us, prepare to buy a decent portable toilet and don't even think about digging holes in the ground. Also, bone up on your cooking skills, 'cause this group does it gourmet style. I sometimes eat better on the trail than at home... :flipoff2:

What I want to know is how does a rugged capable 4x4 rig such as the Lexus GX gets in the hands of the soccer mommies?!

What I want to know is how does a rugged capable 4x4 rig such as the Lexus GX gets in the hands of the soccer mommies?!

Same reason tons of LC's and LX's do. Image, image image !! They don't have any idea about the heritage, world wide reputation and capability that the LC has !! All they see is a big fat sticker price that they (husbands) stupidly end up paying just for the "image" !! All when a crossover or minivan would suit their needs just as well or even better...

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom