Upcoming LC purchase advice - new to the platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, per title just one more of the many threads seeking advice or recommendations on purchases. I’d really like input from the community on what would be my best buy for the money/application.

Currently my family’s lifestyle doesn’t include any camping or off road expeditions but as my father and I have recently rekindled our love for trail riding on dirt bikes, I think the future bodes well for a shift to more exploring off the beaten path.

My wife and I have 2 little ones and are still looking to grow the family in the coming years and our current garage includes a 2017 Pacifica (amazing, there’s an argument for every family with kids under toddler age to have a minivan for a while especially when 2 are under 2) and a 2005 E55 AMG. I’ve been doing my own wrenching with my Dad from my teenage years and the AMG has been a big learning experience even as one of the more reliable platforms. In the 2 years I’ve owned it I’ve thrown money at it like athletes in a strip club and I’m ready to give up speed for reliability and capability in an LC (or LX).

The genesis for my decision was a friend who recently picked up an 80 series and convinced his folks to get a new 200. I drove both and was impressed, it’s just a new segment for me so it’s tough to make the shift from fast cars. However, the more research and lurking on the forums I do the more I think it would be an awesome purchase for us.

Price range is going to be around $33-34k max. I’m really torn on LC vs LX. Because I’ve dealt with so many repairs on the AMG I love the idea of traditional suspension (aside from kdss) in the LC and obviously the heritage and stealth that comes with. However, the sheer production numbers in LX means the market is much friendlier and the options are more plentiful with lower mileage, newer examples to be had over the LC.

My immediate plan would be to throw A/T’s on whatever we buy and enjoy it for what it is mostly stock for the next year or two, while we explore the idea of getting out to trails more often.

All that said I’m looking for advice on model years and LC vs LX. I’m wondering if a higher mileage ‘13 is worth the money over lower mileage ‘08-11’s. Looking forward to joining the club and thanks for your consideration.

The cliché advice is to buy the newest, lowest mileage one you can afford, and I'd generally abide by that. That said, if you can save $5k by going with a slightly higher mileage truck, that's a big savings you can pocket to cover any issues. I'm a big fan of the LC for the reasons you describe, but don't count the LX out. The AHC has been generally well regarded on the 200 series, and seems more robust than the 100 series. Likely it will come down to your budget, and what you find in your area. I'd prioritize rust free and evidence of regular maintenance over all else. I bought a 2008 a few years ago with 202k miles on it, and it has been awesome, and is now at 237k miles.

Great to hear of another successful high mileage 200. I’m just not sure I want to deal with AHC. I feel like it could be, as often times it is on car specific forums, an echo chamber affect where a handful of folks experience issues and it gets accepted as fact that a system has major flaws and failures.

Aside from that, is there anyway to register in Toyota and Lexus owner portals to go through maintenance history on possible purchases?

lexusdrivers.com and pop the VIN in if you are looking for an LX. Don't let the AHC boogieman get ya. It's super reliable - myself and other folks on this forum run heavy trucks and the system has proven robust. Given your budget you can get a lower mile LX, throw some ATs on it and never have to worry about a lift.

But either choice will be great. Whatever direction you go - I would trying to find that sweet spot of low miles / good service records. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a high mile LX or TLC with good history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom