Undercoating/Fluid Film in KC area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any recs for undercoating/fluid film application in the KC area? Open to hearing experience and opinions on options as well. I'm new-ish here from TX and have never had to deal with rust. Picking up a mint-ish 100 this weekend (114k on the clock!) with a clean undercarriage and would like to keep it that way.

I had the guys at Adventure Motors finish a frame for me. They cleaned it, sprayed a film and sealed it up. I looks pretty good but was expensive. The only issue I have found is it seems to draw moisture. On a damp day it becomes pretty nasty and oily. It will protect your rig but it seems like it would be a mess to work around in the future.

I’ve used Woolwax for a few years now on my 80 and 100. Seems to do the job and pass with flying colors. Similar stuff as FluidFilm but doesn’t “creep” as well. Should be more durable on the other hand.

I’d save a few bucks by doing it yourself. Super easy. Fluid film can be bought at Home Depot and Ace (probably Lowe’s as well) in an aerosol can. I think Woolwax has an aerosol can as well. Otherwise, invest in a sprayer.

Don’t spray brake surfaces. Otherwise, you’re pretty well fair game elsewhere.

There's a guy on kc toyota club that does it as well and I think he's mobile.

Need to join their facebook page to see the post

I’d consider Boeshield as well. It will dry, so I assume it will be cleaner to work on down the road than Fluid Film. Boeshield is the route I took on my frames the last couple years.

Protecting against exposure is one part of the puzzle, the other is limiting the time of exposure. Make sure you hit the car wash as soon as is reasonable after salt exposure. If you’re more DIY, grab a pressure washer (this one is very good for automotive cleaning, especially for the price, 20% off this month!) https://shop.activeproducts.com/collections/pressure-washers/products/active™-electric-pressure-washer-m22-16

And a rolling nozzle to flush all the nooks and crannies underneath. RIDGE WASHER Pressure Washer Undercarriage Cleaner, 16 Inch Undercarriage Washer, Pressure Washer Under Car Cleaner with Straight Extension Wand, 4000 PSI https://a.co/d/bisxlxF

After doing Boeshield a couple years, I think I’m going to switch to Ammo Reflex Pro since I’m… OCD. It’s made to repel water dirt and salt. I’ve noticed that Boeshield will still retain dirt a little bit even though it has a dry finish.

Finally, if you have rusty spots already on the frame that you want to get ahead of before they grow, check out Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and Eastwood Chassis Black.

Welcome to the Midwest :)
Choose the level of OCD you’re comfortable with.

Ah, and I’d recommend against any kind of rubberized undercoating or bed liner type spray. It seems they’re prone to making the issue worse and you can’t tell anything is going wrong until it’s too late.

If you had the truck disassembled down to the frame and could properly prep and clean everything it’d be worth it, but in the driveway with a rattle can sounds like a liability.

2nd on Adventure Motors for this. Had them do it to my rig and it was well worth it for the frame cleanup and coating. I believe they cleaned up the frame and treated bare spots with POR15. I need to make it an annual thing before the salt hits the roads.

Last edited:
Just seeing this. I've used Fluid Film and Wool Wax. I now use PB Blaster Surface Shield. It seems like the best of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom